One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 18th, 2020, 5:39 am

Hello! Welcome to Librivox! :clap:

Your volume is a little low currently, so check to see if you can increase the input volume of your microphone from the microphone slider in Audacity (Mixer Toolbar). If that is already maxed up, your next option is to amplify after recording. Increase the volume, just enough, so that the waveform peaks above the 0.5 mark.
You'll probably get more background noise when you have increased your volume, so after recording (and after amplification, if you're using that) you can apply Noise Reduction for the noise. Here's a picture guide: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics#Clean_up_the_Noise:_Audacity_versions_from_2.1.0

I get the recording in stereo (double track). Please check from menu Edit->Preferences, Devices, that the "1 (Mono)" is selected for Recording Channels.

Then when exporting as mp3, check the Format Options and choose "Constant" for Bit Rate Mode, and "128 kbps" for Quality. Also check the option "Force export to mono". Then click Save to export and Audacity should save these settings for all future exports.
When naming your file, you can skip adding the .mp3 in the filename, as Audacity adds that automatically when exporting as mp3 (you'll notice your filename has .mp3 twice)

Please ask if something is unclear, or, when ready, upload a new recording, and post here to check again. Thank you!

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 18th, 2020, 6:25 am

Hey thank you for your help!
But I recorded it on my iphone. Is there any app I can download on my phone which will help?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 18th, 2020, 6:46 am

I am sorry, I am not familiar with iphone apps. Maybe you can set the correct tech specs on your current app. Otherwise try to find an app that gives you the tech specs needed, and also allows for edits like deleting repeats, adding missing text, correcting phrases, etc. Or will you be recording on your iphone and then editing on another device?

Summary of tech specs
Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export bitrate: 128 kbps, Constant

You can also post in the Need Help forum. Maybe there are other readers who use iphone apps and can make suggestions.
I hope you find what you need :D

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 20th, 2020, 3:22 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/test_booksunderbanyantree.mp3

I took my One Minute Test again as asked. Here's the link to it.
Thanks

wib66

Post by wib66 » July 20th, 2020, 4:27 am

All the technical specificaations are correct. Just one edit to make please.
The file should be between 86-92dB but is louder than this if you could edit the file and reupload using the same filename thanks
Michele

Glad to be back.
It's much better to do good in a way that no one knows anything about it. From Anna Karenina

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 23rd, 2020, 3:37 am

wib66

Post by wib66 » July 23rd, 2020, 4:01 am

BooksUnderBanyanTree wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:37 am

Hey I've adjusted the db.
Can you check please.
The volume is still higher than the maximum acceptable this will need to be lowered please
Thanks
Michele

Glad to be back.
It's much better to do good in a way that no one knows anything about it. From Anna Karenina

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 23rd, 2020, 5:03 am

It looks like the same file was uploaded the second time around, that's why the volume is still high.

What kind of recording setup are you using now, Books? still on an iphone? Which app? Thanks!

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 23rd, 2020, 9:01 am

Oh I think I uploaded the same recording.
This is the correct recording.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 24th, 2020, 4:42 am

Thank you! General volume would be considered ok now, but I think you did some kind of compression to bring the volume down? the background noise, and other normally softer sounds like your breathing, are really loud in this recording compared to the speaking.
I would suggest either bringing down the microphone volume before recording, or using de-amplification and noise reduction after recording, that is why I asked about your setup to see what options are possible now.

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 24th, 2020, 9:14 am

Yea, so when I was asked to make the file between 89-92db, I used audacity and changed it to the following:
Threshold: -18 dB
Noise Floor: -40 dB
Ratio: 3:1
Attack: 0.1 secs
Decay: 1.0 secs

BooksUnderBanyanTree

Post by BooksUnderBanyanTree » July 24th, 2020, 9:15 am

Was I wrong in doing so? Because I couldn’t this in the help section so as to make it between 89-92 db.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 25th, 2020, 7:45 am

Compression is used mostly to bring down the spikes and it is not very helpful when wanting to adjust the overall volume, because this way, it doesn't de-amplify the background noise and the breath sounds, and they sound abnormally louder than they should.

My suggestion is to turn down the volume of your microphone so that you record in a softer volume, rather than having to de-amplify so much. Then you can use the "Amplify..." effect in Audacity for fine-tuning, with a negative number to deamplify if needed. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_z607awyLw

( optionally you could use one of the tools that help you measure your volume and guide you by how much to amplify/deamplify if needed (target volume is 89dB). One is the Checker, more information here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker This measures the volume of your exported mp3 file. Another one is a plug-in for Audacity, the ReplayGain, more information here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity This tells you by how much to amplify (or deamplify if a negative number) within Audacity, before you export.)

I think it's worth another try to get as nice sound as possible. :) :) So when ready, upload one more, and we'll check again. Thank you!

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » July 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm

BooksUnderBanyanTree wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 6:25 am
Hey thank you for your help!
But I recorded it on my iphone. Is there any app I can download on my phone which will help?
TwistedWave. I have a video tutorial in the Wiki that shows everything you need to know.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page