The Book Of History (1915–1921)
"It is a commonplace to say of a great work that it is unique, and there would at first sight seem to be peculiar presumption in making such a claim for a History of the World. It may be claimed, however, without any fear of contradiction, that this work has no rival in the English language.
There have been histories of the world before ; there are available in large numbers histories of all countries well worthy of attention ; but there is not, and it may be doubted if there has ever been attempted before, a scientific World-History. This work is, as far as it can possibly be in the present state of knowledge, a universal history of the universe.
That is a far reaching claim to make, but a mere glance through the names of those whose services have been enlisted for the work will make its basis clear. The contributors include some of the foremost students of science. Many men of eminence whose names do not usually come into historical works will be found here. Their function may be described as holding the Lamp of Science up to History. It is for these authorities to read the story of the earth and to tell the plain man what they read there, as Turner read the sunset and painted what he saw." (Editorial Introduction)
01) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis01bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis01bryc/page/n7
02) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis02bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis02bryc/page/n7
03) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis03bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis03bryc/page/n7
04) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis04bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis04bryc/page/n7
05) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis05bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis05bryc/page/n5
06) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis06bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis06bryc/page/n7
07) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis07bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis07bryc/page/n7
08) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis08bryciala/page/n5 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis08bryc/page/n7
09) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis09bryc/page/n7 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis09bryc/page/n7
12) https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis12bryciala/page/n7 & https://archive.org/details/bookofhistoryhis12bryc/page/n7
Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
1 post • Page 1 of 1