Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings,

Here is "Dead Theology" (Section 19) with a duration of 30'19"
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_19_foote_128kb.mp3

And here is "Who Killed Christ" (Section 29) with a duration of 10'24"
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_29_foote_128kb.mp3

My goodness, Mr. Foote makes his feelings most clear and emphatic!

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Tom, MW updated!

Oh yes, he knows how to wield his pen. :lol: In Ana's section 50 (nice reading, it's PL OK too!) when he quotes Paul who says that women should have long, and men short hair, he says "one might conclude Paul was bald". :lol:

I thought about reading this solo, but it's so much more fun to spread the word. :mrgreen:

I uploaded the preface, by the way.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Mooninya wrote: July 19th, 2020, 11:46 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_03_foote_128kb.mp3
file duration: 10:09
I had completed Flowersfreethought section 3, sky pilots. Please have a look.
Hi there and welcome to LV and to this project!

And please don't do this again - recording something without claiming first! :shock:
The Magic Window may not be up-to-date, and since we work on a first-claim first-read (or PL...) here, just randomly recording something can lead to all sorts of problems... So please in the future, post your claim in the thread, wait until it's in the Magic Window (may take a day or two) and then start recording. Okay?

I also took a very quick look at your recording, and
- it's in 192 kb (should be 128)
- it is very loud since I see a lot of clipping (that's when the waves in audacity hit the upper and/or lower end of the window). I haven't listened, so I am not sure if there is distortion, but we usually go for a volume of 89 dB +- 2, so this recording needs to be de-amplified.

These are things you need to fix for all your future recordings. Ana, our dedicated proof listener in this project will be along shortly to give you other feedback about your recording. Please wait what she has to say and fix what is wrong (at least the two things above).

In any case, before I put you into the MW, I will need a catalog name. This can be your forum name, your real name or anything really. If you want to say a name in your recordings, that's a good choice so your fans can find you. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Good afternoon everyone!

I am starting to PL the sections just now. I will post everything here shortly.

Sorry for any delay, I came home from work a while ago.

Greetings 8-)
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

TomHersant wrote: July 19th, 2020, 11:56 pm Greetings,

Here is "Dead Theology" (Section 19) with a duration of 30'19"
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_19_foote_128kb.mp3

And here is "Who Killed Christ" (Section 29) with a duration of 10'24"
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_29_foote_128kb.mp3

My goodness, Mr. Foote makes his feelings most clear and emphatic!

Tommy

Hello Tommy!

I loved your reading, you made Foote come to life! Both of the sections are PL ok. :clap: Good job!

And speaking of Foote, even though his writings are 2 centuries old, I love the fact that they are timeless, and also enjoy his straightforwardness on one hand and his hint of sarcasm on the other! :9:

Best,

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Availle wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:35 am Thank you Tom, MW updated!

Oh yes, he knows how to wield his pen. :lol: In Ana's section 50 (nice reading, it's PL OK too!) when he quotes Paul who says that women should have long, and men short hair, he says "one might conclude Paul was bald". :lol:

I thought about reading this solo, but it's so much more fun to spread the word. :mrgreen:

I uploaded the preface, by the way.

He takes religion so personally, that he declares himself a solider that needs to fix things up! :lol: The preface is also PL ok! :clap:

salus populi suprema lex
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

I'll take # 41 on Tennyson please.
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Ms Ava,

On behalf of myself (and, I'm confidently including the other volunteers on this project) many, many thanks for opening this up for us all to join. This chap is a delight!

I don't want to be a piggy here, but there are two more of his titles that I would enjoy reading: Section 5 (Fighting Spooks) and Section 49 (Jesus on Women).

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

3 sections assigned, thank you! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I read sections 8 and 9?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Mooninya »

Availle wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:45 am
Mooninya wrote: July 19th, 2020, 11:46 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_03_foote_128kb.mp3

And please don't do this again - recording something without claiming first! :shock:
The Magic Window may not be up-to-date, and since we work on a first-claim first-read (or PL...) here, just randomly recording something can lead to all sorts of problems... So please in the future, post your claim in the thread, wait until it's in the Magic Window (may take a day or two) and then start recording. Okay?

- it is very loud since I see a lot of clipping (that's when the waves in audacity hit the upper and/or lower end of the window). I haven't listened, so I am not sure if there is distortion, but we usually go for a volume of 89 dB +- 2, so this recording needs to be de-amplified.

These are things you need to fix for all your future recordings. Ana, our dedicated proof listener in this project will be along shortly to give you other feedback about your recording. Please wait what she has to say and fix what is wrong (at least the two things above).

In any case, before I put you into the MW, I will need a catalog name. This can be your forum name, your real name or anything really. If you want to say a name in your recordings, that's a good choice so your fans can find you. :D
Hi Availle, sorry for the inconvenience caused beforehand. I am still new to this Librivox operation. :)
I had made amendments to the recording based on your suggestion, I will only upload it after hearing advice from Ana.
My catalog name will be Mooninya.
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Mooninya wrote: July 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Availle wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:45 am

Hi Availle, sorry for the inconvenience caused beforehand. I am still new to this Librivox operation. :)
I had made amendments to the recording based on your suggestion, I will only upload it after hearing advice from Ana.
My catalog name will be Mooninya.

Hi Mooninya!

Welcome to LibriVox! Sorry for any delay, I was waiting for your catalog name :)

Your reading was very nice! Good job on that, I really found no issues and your voice sounds great!

I have a couple of things of technical nature you'll need to correct. As Ava said, you'll need to change the bit rate to 128 kb, and the volume must be lowered to around 89 db. This is just so your recording would be consistent with all the others.
You can use the checker to check these technical aspects for the future. Here's some info about it: wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Another thing is the outro.
You need to say: "End of Section [number]" If you wish, can say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]".

I hear that you also said:
"End of Flowers of Freethought (First Series) by George William Foote. "' which we only use for the last chapter of the book. So please edit that out.

And last is the background noise. I hear some background noise at a few spots
4:15 - 4:25
5:00 - 6:25
9:00 - 9:15
10:03 - 10:09 (during the 5 seconds of silence at the end.)
Check out these spots after you deal with the volume as they might be less noticeable on a lower volume. If not, you can apply the Noice Reduction effect on Audacity on those places.

Please address these few things and post the updated version in the thread so I can check it out. If you need any help, feel free to reach out!
I'm looking forward to listening the corrected audio.

Have a great day! :) :)

salus populi suprema lex
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

2 sections assigned to Algy, thank you!

Thanks for PLing Ana! :thumbs:

Mooninya, since I have now entered you into the database, I can "officially" welcome you to LV. :clap: Here is your reader page to keep track of all your recordings: https://librivox.org/reader/14687
Please make the corrections Ana and I are asking you to do.

- you should try and record with a bit less volume. As I said, if it's too loud you'll get clipping, which is not fixable in post processing. It's easier to amplify a recording that is too quiet than the other way around.
- noise reduction is best done by experimenting. yes, I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear. :lol: Take a bit of background noise only (like from the 5 seconds at the very end) and then run the noise reduction over the whole recording. It's better to run a low noise reduction twice than a high one once. And it's better to leave a bit of noise than to distort the voice (too much noise reduction will lead to a very tinny sound).

In any case, keep your original recording while you're trying noise reduction (or any other big post processing steps) so you can always go back to this one.

Hope this helps! Ask if you have questions. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings,

Here is Section 24 "Who Are the Blashpemers", all 06'53" of it:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought1_24_foote_128kb.mp3

Tommy