1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
LizaHayes
Posts: 4
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 11:32 am

Post by LizaHayes » June 28th, 2020, 1:39 am

Hi there!

Here is my test, using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3

Thanks
Liza

adrianstephens
Posts: 976
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » June 29th, 2020, 3:08 am

LizaHayes wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 1:39 am
Hi there!

Here is my test, using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3

Thanks
Liza
Hello,
Welcome to librivox. You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.

You need to make a change in order to meet Librivox's technical standards.

Required: The volume is way too low. You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 70.5 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB.


Advisory: There are some noticable plosives in the "P" sounds (e.g. at 1s). There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; 2) get a "pop" filter in front of your microphone; or 3) repair the plosives as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbSdGb26XQ. Prevention is much easier than cure. Please see my video below for an example.


Please address at least the required technical issue and upload a new version. If you quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.



If you haven't already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you're interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there's a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil's.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

LizaHayes
Posts: 4
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 11:32 am

Post by LizaHayes » July 5th, 2020, 4:32 am

Hi, thanks for the feedback, here is my second test using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3

LizaHayes
Posts: 4
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 11:32 am

Post by LizaHayes » July 5th, 2020, 4:35 am

Hi, thanks for the feedback, here is my second test using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3



adrianstephens wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:08 am
LizaHayes wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 1:39 am
Hi there!

Here is my test, using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3

Thanks
Liza
Hello,
Welcome to librivox. You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.

You need to make a change in order to meet Librivox's technical standards.

Required: The volume is way too low. You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 70.5 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB.


Advisory: There are some noticable plosives in the "P" sounds (e.g. at 1s). There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; 2) get a "pop" filter in front of your microphone; or 3) repair the plosives as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbSdGb26XQ. Prevention is much easier than cure. Please see my video below for an example.


Please address at least the required technical issue and upload a new version. If you quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.



If you haven't already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you're interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there's a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil's.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

adrianstephens
Posts: 976
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » July 6th, 2020, 3:32 am

LizaHayes wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 4:35 am
Hi, thanks for the feedback, here is my second test using: Audacity on Mac with a USB Mic

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lizahayes.mp3

Hello Lisa,
You fixed the volume level!
Congratulations - you meet librivox's technical standards. Proof Listen OK!
-----------------------
You can stop reading here and get on with recording. I have additional comments that you can read if you want to develop your technique.

Advisory: There is a background "rumble". Most people won't hear it. Those listening on high-fi or with good headphones might be able to hear it.
There are two ways to fix this up. The first thing is a filter that cuts everything below about 100Hz. You might find a preset for a "rumble filter"
in Effects/Filter Curve (or Equalizer)".
The second thing to try is noise reduction using Audacity. You can highlight the noise in Audacity by changing the track's display mode to "Waveform (db)" using the little pulldown arrow just to the right of the track name. I recommend leaving it there, as I do all my editing in this mode.
Then perform noise cleaning as shown here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning.
I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes, but be careful of over-doing it (more than about 18dB), which can affect the quality.


You are still on the edge of popping your p's - e.g. at 10.5s. Did you do anything between this and the first recording to fix it? There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; 2) get a "pop" filter in front of your microphone; or 3) repair the plosives as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbSdGb26XQ. Prevention is much easier than cure.


If you want to upload a new version and quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.



I suggest you spend some time becoming familiar with the forum and looking for projects that you think you'd enjoy working on. Just jump right in wherever it feels comfortable. Most of all, always have fun. You'll find lots of interesting material to record. If you're like me, you'll also discover you're learning a lot in the process and being exposed to books I otherwise wouldn't have opened or known about. You'll be contributing to an interesting project and interacting with a lot of fun and varied fellow LibriVox volunteers in the process. I recommend starting with short works, such as poetry and dramatic readings.

Thank you again for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Post Reply