1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 3rd, 2020, 12:37 pm

This is my one minute test recording. Please give me feedback as needed, and tell me when I have the go-ahead to start recording.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lector1.mp3
This was recorded on Audacity and Windows, with an analog mic.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 4th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Hi. Welcome to LibriVox.

A few adjustments are needed.

First, this test file is stereo. It needs to be mono. Here is how you set this in Audacity for all future recordings.

Edit - Preferences - Devices
Under the Recording section you should see your microphone listed as the device. Under that set Channels to 1 (Mono).

Second, the bitrate for the exported mp3 should be 128kbps constant bitrate. Your file was exported at ~177kbps variable bitrate.

You set the bitrate whenyou export to mp3 in Audacity at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.
Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown

The volume on this recording is too low. (71db). We aim for 89 db with an acceptable range of 86-92 db. Please try increasing the mic input volume either in Audacity or in the Sounds and Audio section of the Control Panel. This adjustment will also help increase the signal to noise with regard to the background.

To judge whether you have the volume set correctly, your waveform in Audacity should look similar to this example:

Detailed instructions for adjusting your input levels can be found here:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level

You can download the checker program to check your volume after exporting to mp3 and before you upload your file.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

If you prefer you can use the Replay Gain plugin in directly in Audacity to tell you how much your file needs to be amplified to get to 89 db. Instructions here:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

If you can't adjust your input volume to reach the target 89 db, then, you will need to use the Effect:Amplify to actually amplify the file. Important: be sure the box to allow clipping is not checked! This will also amplify any background noise.

There is a strange fairly high pitched gurgly background noise in this recording that I wasn't able to remove using the Noise Reduction effect in Audacity, so you may need to take some time to try and identify and eliminate it at the source in your recording environment.

Please make the above adjustments and upload another test. Just post the link in this same thread to keep everything together.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 5th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I don't know what the problem is, but I have no mic adjustment slider and whenever I try to amplify the recording the gurgling noise shows up. The only way for me to get my volume up to the accepted level is to amplify it and whenever I amplify it I get the background noise. I tried speaking louder into my mic but the only way to get my mic to actually pick up noise is to put it very close to my mouth. This causes background noise as well. No matter what I do, nothing works in getting my audio up to the desirable level.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 8th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Taking a step back - please check that audacity is recognizing the microphone.

Edit - Preferences - Devices - Under recording device, confirm that the correct microphone is listed.

On the main recording window, at the upper right, find the microphone icon and push the slider all the way to the right.

Next open the Sound Settings in Windows. Under Input confirm that the same microphone is selected. Just beneath that click on Device Settings. Confirm that the volume slider is set to 95-100. (These instructions are for Windows10. If you have an earlier version of Windows then the screen may be slightly different, but you are looking for the microphone volume settings.)

Finally, unplug the microphone and plug it back in making sure it is tightly plugged in.

If none of the above helps, then you might want to consider a USB microphone.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 16th, 2020, 12:25 pm

I'm going to get off the topic of the test recording, but how do I volunteer to proof listen, and how do I know which projects have proof listeners already?

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 17th, 2020, 11:44 am

I cannot get the Checker program or the Replay Gain programs to work. I have Windows 7. I don't know if that's the problem, but I don't know of anything else that could make me have problems downloading the programs. I just guessed and followed the guide on the wiki page and compared the waves in my test to the waves in the picture. Here is my new test recording.

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 17th, 2020, 11:56 am

I could not get either of the programs to work. I have Windows 7 and I don't know if that's the problem or not (I can't get Windows 10—I tried upgrading my computer but my motherboard is too old too handle Windows 10 and have everything work right. Here is my new test recording (I also submitted another test recording previously but it was the same as my original).
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Lector1.mp3

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 17th, 2020, 11:57 am

I absolutely cannot get that gurgling background noise out at all. I have no idea what the problem is.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 18th, 2020, 11:11 am

Lector1 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:25 pm
I'm going to get off the topic of the test recording, but how do I volunteer to proof listen, and how do I know which projects have proof listeners already?
Generally, a project looking for a prooflistener will have a ~ in front of the title in the subject line (so if you go to any of the Readers Wanted forums and look down the list of projects, you can see which one has a ~ or not). You can also tell by looking at the magic window, that scrolling window in the first post of the thread. If the project has a DPL, it will say who it is toward the top of the magic window. In addition, projects sometimes actively look for a PL or DPL in the Listeners wanted forums. Those posts will be on top of the first page because they are stickied. If you see one that looks interesting, please go to the project thread itself and post that you'd like to be the PL or DPL.
Once you have found a project that does not have a DPL, you'd post offering your services. If you'd like to commit to listening to all the sections as they come in, offer to be the DPL. If you see that a project has a lot of sections to listen to and you'd like to help, but not to commit to doing them all, you can post saying something like: I'd like to PL sections [#], [#], and [#], and then prooflisten to them.
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 18th, 2020, 11:25 am

Lector1 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 11:56 am
I could not get either of the programs to work. I have Windows 7 and I don't know if that's the problem or not (I can't get Windows 10—I tried upgrading my computer but my motherboard is too old too handle Windows 10 and have everything work right. Here is my new test recording (I also submitted another test recording previously but it was the same as my original).
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Lector1.mp3
I listened to both the tests you submitted most recently :)

The settings for both are correct :clap:
The volume is no longer too soft -- in fact, it is a little bit too high, so Audacity must be recognizing your microphone now :thumbs:

There are only two things that need fixing now:
- I am hearing plosives. This is when your breath hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Next time you record, please move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth or a little above or below your mouth. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it. You can hear it for instance at 00:03-4 in test_Lector1 (Fable Fans at librivox). I'm not entirely sure, but this might be what you call gurgling background noise.
- the volume is a bit high now, around 95-96 dB. We are aiming for a "picture" in Audacity where the tops and the bottoms of the blue squiggly lines don't hit the top and the bottom of the window.

If you want to try again, please make record again and place your microphone a little differently. If you have it further away from your mouth, that would reduce the input volume automatically. When I record, I like to keep the text I'm reading from and the window in Audacity both up in split screen. That way I can keep an eye on the blue squiggles in Audacity so they don't get crazy high/low.

I think you are close to making a test that follow all the requirements. If you like the idea of recording, please give it another go!
Kathrine

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 20th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Here is my newest test recording (I finally got the Checker program installed and working :D :

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 21st, 2020, 9:14 pm

Thank you!

Hm, not sure what is going on, now I do hear the bubbling/gurgling (?) kind of background noise. I wonder what is making that sound!

I heard much less of it in the previous recording -- if you can find back to how you made the previous recording, and just make it a little bit softer in volume and preferably the microphone a little bit further to the side of your mouth to reduce plosives, that would pass the 1 minute test :)
Kathrine

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 22nd, 2020, 11:37 am

Here is my new test. I didn't do anything to change the recording that was too loud. I have no idea at all what the background noise is. It's definitely not something in my recording environment. I think it may be my microphone, but I have no idea what the problem is. I have had a similar noise come up with my headset before but I was never able to figure out what the problem is. I had my audio coming through my headset at this point and I was able to fix it by switching the volume to come through my speakers, but I haven't been able to change anything. If I click the button to enable my outside speakers, nothing happens. I'll have to work on this.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_2lector1.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions. It might be a hardware issue :(
Kathrine

Lector1

Post by Lector1 » June 24th, 2020, 9:38 am

There is just no way to get rid of the background noise. I set my sound settings to have the sound come through my outside speakers rather than my headset and tried recording that way. I had a problem last year when I tried putting in my headphones for the first time. I had my sound coming through my headset and when I tried to talk to people using the headset there was a lot of interference. I set my sound to come back through my speakers and that fixed the problem right up. I also have had to record on other software before for other purposes, and I had my sound coming through my speakers, and I didn't hear this interference. I just made another test recording with my sound coming through my speakers but there was still background noise. I had to turn up my volume to be very loud to hear the noise clearly, but if you keep the volume on low enough, you can only barely hear the noise (I had my audio on at 32% and I could still hear my voice clearly but with barely detectable background noise). I have no way at all to fix this problem. I have another headset in the house, but it's a gaming headset which doesn't work on my computer at all. I have Windows 7 and I did try upgrading to Windows 10, but my motherboard is too old to handle Windows 10 and more than half of the programs didn't work. I had to completely reset my computer. I didn't allow clipping in Audacity, either, and you can still hear the noise. I think the only thing I can really do is keep my sound coming through my speakers so the background noise isn't quite as loud and noticeable as it would otherwise be. Do you think I could pass the test recording doing this? I don't really think the background noise takes away from the rest of the recording or my voice. You can still hear everything clearly, and if you turn down the volume, you can only barely hear the noise.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test__test_04_lector1.mp3