1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
bookwarm

Post by bookwarm » May 18th, 2020, 11:15 am

Hi Everyone,

This test was recorded using Audacity, Windows and a USB mic. Got a green light from the Checker program, but of course, it is your verdict I am looking forward to.

Raw sample:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bookwarm.mp3

Noise Reduction sample:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/testnr_bookwarm.mp3

Thank you for your time. I am new to both recording and Audacity, so any feedback is much appreciated.

Jo

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » May 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Hi Jo,
Welcome to LV!

I think you may have had some difficulties on the noise cleaning step.

Do you see how your line during the "silent" areas is "fuzzy"? This is a visual indicator there is too much background noise. In the future be sure that you turn off everything you can hear before you start recording. Sit quietly in your recording area and just listen. If you can hear it, so can the microphone.
For this recording try some noise cleaning. Noise cleaning and amplifying are the two most common edits we do.
First highlight some of your "silence", say 0:00-0:05.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Select your entire recording
Effect>Noise Reduction>Play around with the noise settings (using the "preview" button until you are satisfied). I used 20, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.
See how the line in your silence areas became a very fine line? That's what you are looking for.

Please upload the modified file and post another link to this same thread for a double check.

bookwarm

Post by bookwarm » May 18th, 2020, 1:03 pm

linny wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Hi Jo,
Welcome to LV!

I think you may have had some difficulties on the noise cleaning step.

Do you see how your line during the "silent" areas is "fuzzy"? This is a visual indicator there is too much background noise. In the future be sure that you turn off everything you can hear before you start recording. Sit quietly in your recording area and just listen. If you can hear it, so can the microphone.
For this recording try some noise cleaning. Noise cleaning and amplifying are the two most common edits we do.
First highlight some of your "silence", say 0:00-0:05.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Select your entire recording
Effect>Noise Reduction>Play around with the noise settings (using the "preview" button until you are satisfied). I used 20, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.
See how the line in your silence areas became a very fine line? That's what you are looking for.

Please upload the modified file and post another link to this same thread for a double check.
Hi Linny,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll keep tweaking as instructed.

bookwarm

Post by bookwarm » May 19th, 2020, 9:31 am

linny wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Hi Linny,

Here's a new test recording, hopefully better. Thank you for your time and guidance.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test5_bookwarm.mp3

bookwarm

Post by bookwarm » May 19th, 2020, 6:50 pm

After a few adjustments to my recording space to minimise the possible background noise as well as using both noise reduction and amplification, I've finally arrived at this:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_4bookwarm.mp3

To my ear the sound quality is better than any of the above. Would be great to get a green light from you, guys. Thank you for your time.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 20th, 2020, 9:14 pm

I listened to the test you posted last, and it sounds great! You have the official OK to go ahead and claim some sections in the Readers Wanted forums. Have fun!
Kathrine

bookwarm

Post by bookwarm » May 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:14 pm
I listened to the test you posted last, and it sounds great! You have the official OK to go ahead and claim some sections in the Readers Wanted forums. Have fun!
Thank you very much, Kathrine. You just made my day! :9: