One min test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Phil2712

Post by Phil2712 » May 16th, 2020, 4:30 am

One minute test. Phil2712

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_phil2712.mp3

Audacity. Windows. Mic USB Fifine K669

Thaks, PA
Best Wishes,
Phil Aldred
Nottingham, UK
Phil2712

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Hi, Phil, welcome to LibriVox! I enjoyed listening to your test. What a cute little rhyme! I'm not sure if I've ever heard it before. :D

All of your settings check out here except for your volume. We aim for 89 dB, or within a range of 86-92. This test comes in a bit low, at about 80. It's easy to amplify in Audacity, but I recommend adjusting the input from your mic so that you're already in the correct range and don't need to amplify. There's a slider bar in Audacity's toolbars with a mic icon next to it. I keep mine turned all the way up. (If you don't see it, go to View>Toolbars>Mixer Toolbar.) You can also adjust your mic's input in the audio settings of Windows. I keep mine at 94%, but you may need a little more or a little less.

To check your own volume, I recommend getting Checker, a free program that was built specifically for LibriVox readers. It's easy to use and install and will tell you how loud your recording is in dB.

You may find that, with the volume turned up, you can suddenly hear (and see) background noise that wasn't noticeable before. Audacity comes with a great built-in tool for noise reduction that is very easy to use. If you notice white noise behind your voice, I recommend that you give it a shot. I didn't hear any when I amplified your recording, but it's good info to have, I think. :)

See what you can do to get the volume up, and then upload your new test and post the link here in this thread for another check.

Phil2712

Post by Phil2712 » May 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Hello

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/test_phil2712.mp3

I've made some adjustments, so this is my second attempt.

I set the mic volume to 94.
I used Analyse.. to check for clicks, and Effect.. Normalise to correct DC offset, but I found the default setting for Normalize Max Amp produced v LOUD recordings, so I reduced it to -3dB.

I'd welcome further advice.
Best Wishes,
Phil Aldred
Nottingham, UK
Phil2712

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 20th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Well, whatever you did, it sounds great!

(Analyze to check for clicks? I'm not sure what this means. I didn't know you could check for clicks aside from by sight and sound!)

Volume is spot on. If you can replicate that on all your recordings, you'll be golden. 8-)

Marking this off as OK. Have fun recording "for real"!
Hatfields & McCoys sensationalist account: An American Vendetta
Jack London short stories: The Strength of the Strong
Mystery: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles

Phil2712

Post by Phil2712 » May 21st, 2020, 8:46 am

Thank you TriciaG.
Off we go then!
:D
Best Wishes,
Phil Aldred
Nottingham, UK