COMPLETE Master Zacharius by Jules Verne - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

Master Zacharius by Jules Verne (1828 - 1905).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/master-zacharius-by-jules-verne/
Master Zacharius is a man of science, skill, and overpowering pride. He is the first to successfully, and accurately, regulate time. Does this not make him God-like? What then, should such a man do when his time is running out and his legacy is in danger? (Zachary Katz-Stein)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/winteramidiceoth00vern_0/page/103/mode/1up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: Fantasy, Romance, Philosophy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Master Zacharius. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Master Zacharius, by Jules Verne. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Master Zacharius by Jules Verne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Master Zacharius, by Jules Verne. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename masterzacharius_##_verne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. masterzacharius_01_verne_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Jules Verne
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Master Zacharius

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I can DPL if you'd like.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll MC this for you. MW coming up!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, as soloist, you will be acting as your own BC. This means that you'll be able to edit the MW, adding in your upload links as you complete sections, and marking which sections are Ready for PL. I've filled in the first section for you as an example. (The page numbers are optional; I find it helpful to include them up front so that I can quickly find a chapter when it's time to record, but it's up to you.)

Here are some instructions for getting in to the workflow the first time you log in: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Once you're in, this should help you understand how to edit the MW: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

Please ask if you need help.

Lastly, I see that you didn't include a genre, keywords, or a summary. This is fine for the time being, but you'll need to tell me before cataloguing what you want these to be. Good luck! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I see that you have finished filling in the MW. I will go ahead and move us over to Going Solo.
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

Hi Team,

Just checking in.

I have recorded the first two chapters. I just need to listen to edit the second one and then make sure I export correctly and I'll get them up here.

Thanks
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

Here is chapter 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/masterzacharius_01_verne_128kb.mp3

I'll try to upload chapter 2 later today.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great job so far! Remember that as soloist, you'll also need to enter that link in the MW, as well as the run time of the recording. Then once it's in there, you can just post to let your DPL know that it's there. :) If you need a refresher, take another look at the google docs link I posted. Let me know if you need help.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Katzsteinz wrote: May 13th, 2020, 12:24 pm Here is chapter 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/masterzacharius_01_verne_128kb.mp3

I'll try to upload chapter 2 later today.
What wonderful reading! I am so glad I volunteered to proof-listen this project; you have a way of making words come alive. Your interpretation of the characters is just perfect. I only have one note for you: The volume of the file is 86.7 dB, just out of the target range (87-91 dB, aiming for 89 dB). Thus, your file needs to be amplified. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +2.3. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker, then re-upload using the same file name. Update the MW to reflect that the file is ready for spot PL when you are all set. Thanks so much.
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

cadastra wrote: May 13th, 2020, 8:14 pm What wonderful reading! I am so glad I volunteered to proof-listen this project; you have a way of making words come alive. Your interpretation of the characters is just perfect. I only have one note for you: The volume of the file is 86.7 dB, just out of the target range (87-91 dB, aiming for 89 dB). Thus, your file needs to be amplified. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +2.3. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker, then re-upload using the same file name. Update the MW to reflect that the file is ready for spot PL when you are all set. Thanks so much.
Thank you! You're too kind!

I re-exported with amplified sound. Let me know if those sound okay.

Thanks!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

The volume of Section 1 is perfect, but for some reason the 5 seconds of silence at the end appear to have been replaced by white noise.

Section 2 is PL OK. Beautiful reading!

Section 3 PL notes:
0:00 Too much silence at beginning - should be max of 0.5-1 second of silence (currently 1.5)
17:56 Misreading that changes meaning ("my daughter's heart is not free" read as "my daughter's hand is not free")
18:51 Too little silence at end - should be 5 seconds (currently 4)
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

cadastra wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:01 pm The volume of Section 1 is perfect, but for some reason the 5 seconds of silence at the end appear to have been replaced by white noise.

Section 2 is PL OK. Beautiful reading!

Section 3 PL notes:
0:00 Too much silence at beginning - should be max of 0.5-1 second of silence (currently 1.5)
17:56 Misreading that changes meaning ("my daughter's heart is not free" read as "my daughter's hand is not free")
18:51 Too little silence at end - should be 5 seconds (currently 4)
Oy! Thanks for bearing with me.

Okay, let's see if this batch works. (+ Chapter 4)
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

I have uploaded the last file.

I'm not sure what exactly the keywords should be. Wiki says that it's a "romantic fantasy," which is sort of right, but it really reminds me more of a mythic or fairy tale.

Maybe something like, "Fantasy, Romance, Philosophy"

Also, how detailed should the summary be? Wiki has, "Master Zacharius, or the clockmaker who lost his soul" is an 1854 short story by Jules Verne. The story, an intensely Romantic fantasy echoing the works of E. T. A. Hoffmann, is a Faustian tragedy about an inventor whose overpowering pride leads to his downfall."
Last edited by Katzsteinz on May 21st, 2020, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Congratulations! The rest of the sections are PL OK, and we are ready for cataloging. Thank you so much for allowing me to proof-listen. Your character voices were just perfect. I could see the characters in my mind, especially Master Zacharius.

I like your choice of keywords. Fantasy, romance, and philosophy all seem applicable to the book. Also, it is up to you to decide how detailed you want the summary to be. A few sentences is probably sufficient; just enough to draw the reader in, although I've seen longer summaries that are great, too.
Katzsteinz

Post by Katzsteinz »

cadastra wrote: May 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm Congratulations! The rest of the sections are PL OK, and we are ready for cataloging. Thank you so much for allowing me to proof-listen. Your character voices were just perfect. I could see the characters in my mind, especially Master Zacharius.

I like your choice of keywords. Fantasy, romance, and philosophy all seem applicable to the book. Also, it is up to you to decide how detailed you want the summary to be. A few sentences is probably sufficient; just enough to draw the reader in, although I've seen longer summaries that are great, too.
Okay, great! let's go with those keywords and the description from wiki (it does fit well without giving too much away). What happens now? And how long does it usually take before the book is available (my family has been asking after it :D )