[COMPLETE] Selected Poems by George Herbert - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Selected Poems by George Herbert by George Herbert (1593 - 1633).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/selected-poems-by-george-herbert/

These poems, from Herbert’s book The Temple, show the evolution of a soul’s relationship with God. Sudden reversals of mood are common, for although Herbert is best known for his quiet tone, he was not a tranquil man but proud and ambitious. He achieved tranquility by active effort. His works may be read autobiographically, for they are intensely personal. Yet through his personal experience we perceive a reality larger than the personal. For example, his many homely comparisons—to bowling, pulleys, laxatives, a blunted knife, sweeping a room—serve “for lights of Heavenly Truths,” as he says of scriptural references to matters of daily life like “a plough, a hatchet, leaven, boyes piping and dancing.” Hence we find in Herbert a startling simplicity of spirit, an almost mystical ability to make every sensory experience sacramental and to express deep and subtle emotions with perfect tact. But there are also angry, frustrated, nearly despairing moments when he longs for the worldly paths he might have taken, the academic honors, the seat in Parliament that he once held, “the ways of Pleasure, the sweet strains, / The lullings and the relishes of it.” But at such moments God is always at hand to throw him a lifeline—whispering in his ear, recalling him to a far deeper and older level of emotional experience.

( T. A. Copeland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044019317510&view=1up&seq=85
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Poetry/Single author; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other
    Keywords that describe the book: dramatic monologue, lyric, metahysical
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Selected Poems by George Herbert. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Selected Poems by George Herbert. [Section #]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Selected Poems by George Herbert. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Selected Poems by George Herbert. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename selectedpoems_##_herbert_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. selectedpoemst_01_herbert_128kb.mp3)

You can ignore the ID3 Tags, they will be automatically filled in during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chymocles on May 9th, 2020, 12:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're on a roll here, Tom! :lol:

I'm happy to MC this for you, give me a few hours to set up the MW please.

Edit: I'm back, and a Magic Window has appeared. Magically, of course.
Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Howdy! I'm going to have to begin with an apology: The Hathitrust source I chose was the wrong one. This is the correct one: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044019317510&view=1up&seq=195. It was edited by Alexander Balloch Grosart and published in 1874. I also expect to make major revisions in my headnote, so please leave it editable till I'm done or nearly done with the project. I'm very happy to have found a reliable text; I had tried to begin this project a while ago but couldn't find one, but I looked back at one of your messages to me and rediscovered Babel and the Hathitrust. Thanks.

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I've put in the correct text link and deleted the summary from the database so I don't forget to update it when the time comes...

I hope we can find a DPL soon! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

Not sure if I can promise I’ll be DPL but I’d be happy to PL as much as I can.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That would be great! :D

Note that this is a word perfect project, so you'll need to read along with the text and not every discrepancy with the recording. I hope that's okay with you.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

However, I need to do some online volunteering very soon, so if you have any chapters that will be ready in next few days, I could PL those.
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

Availle wrote: April 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm That would be great! :D

Note that this is a word perfect project, so you'll need to read along with the text and not every discrepancy with the recording. I hope that's okay with you.
Oh, didn’t notice that - as long as it’s not too long, it should be fine.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Selected Poems I could have done, but, realistically, not the Complete Works. I could PL one section, however. (I enjoy Herbert quite a lot.)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I don't know how long this is going to be, on the other hand, it's just 10 sections. And it's poetry. :lol:

Let's give Alex a chance here Kevin, okay? First claim and such.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

Availle wrote: April 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm I don't know how long this is going to be, on the other hand, it's just 10 sections. And it's poetry. :lol:

I probably am not going to complete all of this :| so it would be nice if someone else helps
Last edited by AlexLorian on April 16th, 2020, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

AlexLorian wrote: April 16th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Availle wrote: April 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm I don't know how long this is going to be, on the other hand, it's just 10 sections. And it's poetry. :lol:

I probably am not going to complete all of this :| so it would be nice if someone else helps
I have a lot of time this week but not next week so if it’s not done by then :help: would be real nice :wink:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It's a massive job if the BC intends to do the Complete Works. These include poems in English, Latin---and Greek, with which I have no ability at all. Even just the English works is a lot. And Word Perfect is a chore, though it looks like the spellings have been 'modernized.'

I'm anxious for Alex to do all that he or she cares to do. I am only offering to assist if needed.
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian »

KevinS wrote: April 16th, 2020, 7:41 pm

It's a massive job if the BC intends to do the Complete Works. These include poems in English, Latin---and Greek, with which I have no ability at all. Even just the English works is a lot. And Word Perfect is a chore, though it looks like the spellings have been 'modernized.'

I'm anxious for Alex to do all that he or she cares to do. I am only offering to assist if needed.
Latin and Greek?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

AlexLorian wrote: April 16th, 2020, 7:49 pm Latin and Greek?
Don't worry about that. I suspect the focus will be on English alone. You will love it!