COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 01, The Renaissance-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

I'm interested in everyone's opinion about whether I should add a touch of echo to my recordings for this project. Here is a link containing 4 small test files with varying levels of echo/reverb. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on which (if any) you prefer, from a listener's perspective, for this content.

One sample has no echo, which is how I typically record, and the other three have increasing amounts. If you have a preference please let me know which one.

Thank you!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:08 am I've just noticed that section 65 was also marked in the MW as being too quiet. Here's the amplified version:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_65_128kb.mp3 please put all the notes in the thread :)
Sorry. It's noted a few posts above. Somehow I missed it before.
ShamaAbbasi

Post by ShamaAbbasi »

I would like to claim Section 21, please. Chapter VI. Florence (II): Machiavelli by L. Arthur Burd (part 2).
This would be my second recording. The first was a small section from 'Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land, by Charles Geoffery Leyland - https://librivox.org/songs-of-the-sea-and-lays-of-the-land-by-charles-godfrey-leland/
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:31 am Here's the final section
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_67_128kb.mp3 duration 30:08
Thank you, Piotrek!

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ShamaAbbasi wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:40 am I would like to claim Section 21, please. Chapter VI. Florence (II): Machiavelli by L. Arthur Burd (part 2).
This would be my second recording. The first was a small section from 'Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land, by Charles Geoffery Leyland - https://librivox.org/songs-of-the-sea-and-lays-of-the-land-by-charles-godfrey-leland/
Thanks, Shama! I've entered your claim. I see that it's been a couple of years since your first recording. If you'd like to do a 1-Minute Test to make sure that your recording software is still set up according to our specifications, I can check that for you. We wouldn't want you to have to redo a long section because of a software configuration issue.

Michael
Last edited by Kazbek on May 14th, 2020, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

acarlow wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:11 am I'm interested in everyone's opinion about whether I should add a touch of echo to my recordings for this project. Here is a link containing 4 small test files with varying levels of echo/reverb. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on which (if any) you prefer, from a listener's perspective, for this content.

One sample has no echo, which is how I typically record, and the other three have increasing amounts. If you have a preference please let me know which one.

Thank you!
I think I prefer the version with no echo, but the differences are quite subtle. If I listened to any one of them without warning, the only thing I would notice is the excellent reading. :)

Michael
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Kazbek wrote: May 14th, 2020, 3:47 pm
acarlow wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:11 am I'm interested in everyone's opinion about whether I should add a touch of echo to my recordings for this project. Here is a link containing 4 small test files with varying levels of echo/reverb. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on which (if any) you prefer, from a listener's perspective, for this content.

Thank you!
I think I prefer the version with no echo, but the differences are quite subtle. If I listened to any one of them without warning, the only thing I would notice is the excellent reading. :)

Michael
Thank you :-). Unless I get more votes with some echo/reverb, I'll keep the recordings dry. The reason I asked was that some believe a touch of reverb is more pleasant to listen to, but there doesn't seem to be real consensus on this issue. I am personally ambivalent one way or the other, unless the reverb/echo is distracting.
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Linda Johnson
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

wildlindajohnson wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm Here's Section 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_18_128kb.mp3 [47:19]
Thank you, Linda!

Michael
ShamaAbbasi

Post by ShamaAbbasi »

Kazbek wrote: May 14th, 2020, 3:35 pm
ShamaAbbasi wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:40 am I would like to claim Section 21, please. Chapter VI. Florence (II): Machiavelli by L. Arthur Burd (part 2).
Thanks, Shama! I've entered your claim. I see that it's been a couple of years since your first recording. If you'd like to do a 1-Minute Test to make sure that your recording software is still set up according to our specifications, I can check that for you. We wouldn't want you to have to redo a long section because of a software configuration issue.

Michael
Thank you so much, Michael. I will do a 1-min test to make certain that my software and hardware is working well. Is it possible to record on the audacity app on our phones as well?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ShamaAbbasi wrote: May 15th, 2020, 5:06 am
Thank you so much, Michael. I will do a 1-min test to make certain that my software and hardware is working well. Is it possible to record on the audacity app on our phones as well?
I haven't tried, and I'm not aware of an Audacity phone app. There's been a recent discussion about it, and someone even posted a Youtube video on using a phone for LV recordings:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79541

It sounds like it's possible to record on your phone and edit the result on your desktop, and possibly even edit your recording on a phone, but keep in mind that it would be harder for you to get technical help if you do. There are many tutorials on LV wiki for using Audacity on a desktop/laptop and many folks here have experience with it, but if you use a phone, you may be among early adopters exploring largely uncharted territory.

Michael
ShamaAbbasi

Post by ShamaAbbasi »

Kazbek wrote: May 15th, 2020, 5:31 am
ShamaAbbasi wrote: May 15th, 2020, 5:06 am
I haven't tried, and I'm not aware of an Audacity phone app. There's been a recent discussion about it, and someone even posted a Youtube video on using a phone for LV recordings:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=79541

It sounds like it's possible to record on your phone and edit the result on your desktop, and possibly even edit your recording on a phone, but keep in mind that it would be harder for you to get technical help if you do. There are many tutorials on LV wiki for using Audacity on a desktop/laptop and many folks here have experience with it, but if you use a phone, you may be among early adopters exploring largely uncharted territory.

Michael
Thank you! Sounds like I will be a proud pioneer then. I will give a 1 min test a go with the phone before I try anything else. :)

Cheers!
Shama
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Linda Johnson
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

wildlindajohnson wrote: May 16th, 2020, 6:57 pm Here's Section 19:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory1_19_128kb.mp3 [48:41]
Thank you, Linda!

Michael