OPEN [DR] A Passage to India by E. M. Forster - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
benderca

Post by benderca »

I have a few tiny notes for Dr. Panna Lal, Chapter 9:

1:19
DR. PANNA LAL: “Cholera, cholera, what next, what now?”

Your pronunciation of "cholera" is hard to understand. It should be: kŏl′ər-ə
(Listen here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/cholera )

1:27
DR. PANNA LAL: “Who spreads such untrue reports about my patients?”

Instead of "reports," I hear "resorts."

1:33
DR. PANNA LAL: “I hear cholera, ..."
(kŏl′ər-ə)

1:45
...and the originators of them ought to be discovered and punished authoritatively.”

Instead of "authoritatively," I hear "authoritively."
benderca

Post by benderca »

Dr. Panna Lal Chapter 25 is PL OK!

Thanks, Elijah!
benderca

Post by benderca »

This is absolutely brilliant! And that's a wrap for Mahmoud Ali! Wonderful job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much, Yoganandh!
Indianreader wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:39 am
Indianreader wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:33 pm
benderca wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:42 am

Yes, it's important that you say "as well as" (you say "and"), and the emphasis should be on the word "murder" -- M.Ali is enraged, indignant, and a bit sarcastic because he knows very well who this second lady is (Mrs. Moore) and he knows she was not murdered. But the thought of Aziz murdering Mrs. Moore is just as ridiculous to him as the thought of Aziz attempting rape, and that is what Aziz is charged with. It's also important that you emphasize the word "rape" because no one actually says that word (everyone else skirts the issue with words like "assault"). Mahmoud Ali thinks that the accusation of attempted rape is ridiculous, and that the trial is a farce. He thinks that the prosecution smuggled Mrs. Moore secretly out of the country so that she could not testify on Aziz's behalf and thus prove his innocence. Now the prosecution uses Mrs. Moore's supposed testimony against Aziz and Mahmoud Ali snaps in outrage. It's a very powerful scene -- that's why I want it in your voice. :D
I think I get the idea 😃! Will do soon ( I am without a computer right now)
Here is the extra line by Mahmoud Ali
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_mahmoudali_24_extraline.mp3
Thank you
Indianreader

Post by Indianreader »

benderca wrote: June 25th, 2023, 2:42 pm This is absolutely brilliant! And that's a wrap for Mahmoud Ali! Wonderful job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much, Yoganandh!
Indianreader wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:39 am
Indianreader wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:33 pm

I think I get the idea 😃! Will do soon ( I am without a computer right now)
Here is the extra line by Mahmoud Ali
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_mahmoudali_24_extraline.mp3
Thank you
Thank you TJ! Looking forward for the final version of the work
Yoganandh
benderca

Post by benderca »

Ronny Chapter 5 Notes:

0:20 MISSING WORD (p. 1): "is"

RONNY: “The great point to remember is that no one who’s here matters; those who matter don’t come. Isn’t that so, Mrs. Turton?”

0:35
MISSING WORD: "while"

MISPRONOUNCED WORD: "conciliating"
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/conciliating

MISPRONOUNCED WORD: "seditious"
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/seditious

Please put a pause in these sentences:
"But these people—don’t imagine they’re India.”
Because Ronny is advising Adela not to consider these people as being representative of India.
"But these people— [PAUSE] don’t imagine they’re India.”
If you run the two sentences together it sounds like these people don't imagine that they are India, and that is an entirely different meaning from the one intended.

RONNY: “The educated Indians will be no good to us if there’s a row, it’s simply not worth while conciliating them, that’s why they don’t matter. Most of the people you see are seditious at heart, and the rest’ll run squealing. The cultivator—he’s another story. The Pathan—he’s a man if you like. But these people—don’t imagine they’re India.”

2:18 EXTRA WORD: "not" (I hear "shouldn't" instead of "should")
RONNY: “Probably she’s heard tales of the heat, but of course I should pack her off to the Hills every April—I’m not one to keep a wife grilling in the Plains.”

4:07 WRONG WORD: I hear "I" instead of "you"
It’s morbidly sensitive to go on as Adela and you do.

5:00 WRONG WORD: I hear "country" instead of "court"
RONNY: worked hard in the court trying to decide which of two untrue accounts was the less untrue, trying to dispense justice fearlessly, to protect the weak against the less weak, the incoherent against the plausible, surrounded by lies and flattery.

Allie, first of all I want to say I love your characterization of Ronny! He's great!

A reminder: please do not re-record the whole chapter. Only make the corrections listed by the PLer and then edit them into your file.

Thanks a ton!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Mr. Haq Chapters 16 & 24 are PL OK!

Your portrayal of Mr. Haq is wonderful!

I'm so glad you could participate in your favorite modern novel, Ehsan! I have to admit that I read it for the first time through when making the scripts... :lol: (but I'm quite impressed with it -- it's interesting on so many levels).

Thanks so much!
TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

Mohammed Latif Chapters 13 & 36 are PL OK!

I'm just sorry that Mohammed Latif doesn't have more lines! You portray him so well, Ehsan!

Thanks!

benderca

Post by benderca »

Wonderful chanting voices! I love how you sing the chants in chapter 36 - high quality performance! :clap:
Chapters 33 and 36 are PL OK!

I will keep my eyes out for more voices as I edit.

I do have one line that I'm not sure if I asked you to do or not. It's the third to last line in Chapter 37 (p. 7):

VOICES OF INDIA: “No, not yet,”

Thanks so much for all your wonderful voices!

dckabir wrote:
dckabir wrote:
benderca wrote:

Chapter 33, page 2:
PROFESSOR GODBOLE, CHANTING VOICES (INDIAN):
“Tukaram, Tukaram,
Thou art my father and mother and everybody.
Tukaram, Tukaram,
Thou art my father and mother and everybody.
Tukaram, Tukaram. . . .”

Chapter 33, page 2:
VOICE: “God si Love.”

Chapter 33, page 3:
CHANTING VOICES (INDIAN): “Tukaram, Tukaram . . .,”

Thank you for your kind PL notes on the earlier sections!

Here's the first set from the collection of voices:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_chantingvoices_33_128kb.mp3
00:38

This section was not on your list, but I went ahead and added it to the chanting voices collection, hope that's ok
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_chantingvoices_36_128kb.mp3
00:41
Hi TJ, I know that you've PLd the sections I posted after this, perhaps this disjointed portion just got lost in the thread.

Would you like to assign me any more minor lines, at the risk of having overlapping voices?
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

benderca wrote: June 25th, 2023, 10:30 am I love your portrayal of Mr. Bhattacharya! Exactly as I imagined him (but better!) :D

Some lines are missing at the end, though, pages 7-8:

MR. BHATTACHARYA: “Yes, yes, you come to us Thursday.”
ADELA: “But you’ll be in Calcutta.”
MR. BHATTACHARYA: “No, no, we shall not.”
NARRATOR: He said something swiftly to his wife in Bengali.
MR. BHATTACHARYA: “We expect you Thursday.”
MRS. BHATTACHARYA: “Thursday . . .”
NARRATOR: the woman echoed.
MRS. MOORE: “You can’t have done such a dreadful thing as to put off going for our sake?”
NARRATOR: exclaimed Mrs. Moore.
MR. BHATTACHARYA: “No, of course not, we are not such people.”
NARRATOR: He was laughing.
[MR. BHATTACHARYA: LAUGHS]
MRS. MOORE: “I believe that you have. Oh, please—it distresses me beyond words.”
[MRS. BHATTACHARYA, MR. BHATTACHARYA, MRS. MOORE, ADELA, MRS. DAS: LAUGH]
NARRATOR: Everyone was laughing now...
[MR. BHATTACHARYA: LAUGHS]

We'll be glad to hear more from Mr. Bhattacharya!

Thanks,
TJ

Will do, thank you. But I'm afraid there will be a big difference for the lapse of time since I recorded it, but no matter. Cheers.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

benderca wrote: June 25th, 2023, 10:45 am Mr. Haq is wonderful too, Ehsan!

There is one missing line for Chapter 9, on page 15:

MR. HAQ: “Oh that is true, how true!”

Mr. Haq says that same line earlier on page 13, so I could copy that line. But he is commenting on something else, so if you wanted to give it a little different intonation you can. I'll let you choose. :D

Thanks,
TJ

I would prefer you copied it because new recording will be very different from that one. Thank you very much for the appreciation TJ. :9:
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

benderca wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:35 pm Wonderful chanting voices! I love how you sing the chants in chapter 36 - high quality performance! :clap:
Chapters 33 and 36 are PL OK!

I will keep my eyes out for more voices as I edit.

I do have one line that I'm not sure if I asked you to do or not. It's the third to last line in Chapter 37 (p. 7):

VOICES OF INDIA: “No, not yet,”

Thanks so much for all your wonderful voices!

Thank you TJ!

Here's VOI chapter 37:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_voiceofindia_37_128kb.mp3
00:09
dc
benderca

Post by benderca »

ehsanesque wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:14 am
Will do, thank you. But I'm afraid there will be a big difference for the lapse of time since I recorded it, but no matter. Cheers.
It'll be great, I'm sure! :D
benderca

Post by benderca »

ehsanesque wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:18 am
I would prefer you copied it because new recording will be very different from that one. Thank you very much for the appreciation TJ. :9:
OK. Mr. Haq seems like the kind of guy who is always saying: “Oh that is true, how true!” :lol:
llamaart

Post by llamaart »

Here is Ronny chapter 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/passagetoindia_ronny_03.mp3

Sorry for all delays! I will try to get stuff done here shortly!
In God I trust.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

benderca wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 1:21 pm
ehsanesque wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:18 am
OK. Mr. Haq seems like the kind of guy who is always saying: “Oh that is true, how true!” :lol:
Thank you :thumbs: