Test: Bloater51 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Bloater51

Post by Bloater51 » January 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Andrew

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 17th, 2020, 2:43 am

hi Andrew, welcome to LibriVox and thank you for your test :)

good reading, easy to understand, all well on that account :thumbs: The technical settings are all up to standard as well.

The only thing I would point out are some high spikes, which you may see if you check the audiowaves (do you use Audacity ?). You see most of your speech is very "level" but then some parts spike. That's often plosives or sibillants, and one has to be careful there. They would prevent your file from being uniformly amplified if needs be, because the spikes would get clipped.

The best thing is to watch the waves appear while you record and if a spike shows up, re-record that sentence, trying to intonate differently. By and by you will get the hang of how to speak to prevent these peaks. Practice makes perfect, as they say ;)

That said, there is no reason to refuse you an official OK for your test. :thumbs: The practical side comes with the first sections you will record. I hope you have fun, jump right in.

Sonia

Bloater51

Post by Bloater51 » January 17th, 2020, 4:41 am

Thanks, that is helpful. I was surprised to see the wave pattern myself. Obviously reflects my normal speech pattern. I will experiment as you suggest.

I see that there are some useful pages on the Wiki.
Andrew

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 17th, 2020, 4:43 am

Bloater51 wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 4:41 am
Thanks, that is helpful. I was surprised to see the wave pattern myself. Obviously reflects my normal speech pattern. I will experiment as you suggest.
yes we all have a tendency to start a sentence with a higher peak, or louder, if you will. We never notice in real life but the audiowaves "show" it. It revealed a lot to me as well, once I started recording. It helped me enormously to get my diction differently.

Just put your microphone a bit to the side of your head, so you don't "blow" straight into it. That will prevent many plosives already.

As I said, with time and many recordings you will figure out what works best for you. :)

Sonia