How to deal with italics used for highlighting

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JorWat

Post by JorWat » November 10th, 2019, 10:09 am

I'm currently recording The Grammar, History and Derivation of the English Language, and have a bit of a problem. In many places, italics are used, not to emphasize a word, but to highlight words being talked about. There are several places where a large number of words are in italics (see the bottom of page 6, for example) where trying to emphasize all the italicized words would just sound stupid. I'm not sure what the best solution is though. Here are a couple of options:
  1. Emphasize the italicized words. It's the obvious choice, but I'm not convinced it would work.
  2. Apply a filter of some kind (say, a reverb) on the italicized words. Here's what that could sound like. I think this is a good idea, but my MC doesn't. I think my example is a little too quick, so maybe if I left a gap?
  3. Add "italics" and "end of italics" around the italicized words. This was my MC's suggestion, but I think this is too intrusive.
  4. Read the text normally, then list the italicized words after the text in question. So, something like this: "Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note. Italics: drum, funeral, note". I think it could work, but my MC thinks it goes against the rule of not altering the text.
  5. Just read the text normally, and not bother with the italics. This is the simplest, but it defeats the point of the italics,
  6. Leave out the exercises, as that's where most of the italics use like this are. This again would change the text a lot, so it doesn't seem like a good solution.
Can anyone help?

EDIT: There's a seventh solution that was staring me in the face: realise this book is not suitable for an audio format, and cancel the project.
Last edited by JorWat on November 11th, 2019, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » November 10th, 2019, 10:31 am

Five or six. Six would be my preference. I personally don't see how the exercises will be of much use to a 'listener.' I don't think there would be much argument with dropping the exercises on LivriVox grounds. We often drop footnotes and extra-textual matter.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » November 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

Another possible option, depending on your MC's agreement, would be to place the exercises in a separate section, after each section to which they are tied, or all together in one larger recording at the book's close. The listener would then have the option to select what was of interest to him of her.

As separate files (or file) you might be granted a bit more liberty in how you highlight the italicized material. Incidentally, I did not look so far into the matter, but are solutions also included? If the text is meant for actual learning and not for historical purposes alone, I would argue for some wide latitude in how the matter were to be handled.
"E agora, José?"

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 10th, 2019, 11:35 am

I'd go with option 1 or 4. Ask 3 people, get 5 opinions. ;)

1. Stressing the words by pausing a moment then reading the italicized words distinctly, then another quick pause after the italicized words would work, I think.
2. The reverb doesn't stress the words enough, and additional reverb would make it hard to understand. (Plus, we don't like using sound effects like that.)
3. I agree it would be too many "italic" "end of italic" notes.
4. I don't think it's changing the text; it's describing the typeface to make it understandable. Obviously at least one other MC disagrees with me. :)
5. I agree it defeats the purpose
6. I agree it isn't ideal to remove the exercises altogether.

schrm

Post by schrm » November 10th, 2019, 11:19 pm

ask 6 people, get 6 opinions (of each one) :-)
this text reminds me of the alfred fried texts i read - but they were way less complicated.

i would go with options 1, 5 and 3.
the exercises are an important part of the book, so i would never just leave them out.

option 3 is not intrusive at all, it is reading like footnotes. maybe some longer paragraphs need this, but page 6 exercise 1, eg, i wouldn't. it is emphasized to optically show the difference to the quoted text, which was referred to in the intro. maybe a little pause (like a teacher taking up the book and finding the line to read) and then...
reading it normally is, what would be done in a lecture, unless the following paragraph is dealing with it (or the ~ last half page was dealing with it).
(imagine a teacher standing in front of you and telling you what to do.)
last but not least: emphasizing the single words (examples) shouldn't be too much in a sort of school-situation. eg. page 6 middle of the page, prepositions 1. and 2.

/reader/12275
i'll librivox in the evenings, local time 10.-23.11. meanwhile all claims, recordings & fingers crossed are most welcome!
thx4understanding

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 10th, 2019, 11:44 pm

as Schrm said - imagine you are a teacher reading it - most people change their voices when reading poetry, or a biblical verse.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Yesterday, 5:55 pm

Not to argue for any position, but I thought I would point out that later in the work you will be facing at least one circumstance when letters--- and not entire words---are italicized.

EDIT: Page 402? 406? (I saw it last night trying to figure out what you are facing.) It's really a great project.
Last edited by KevinS on November 11th, 2019, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"E agora, José?"

JorWat

Post by JorWat » Yesterday, 6:02 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I've realized what I should do: forget the whole thing. This is just a doomed project, and is unsuitable for an audio format.
Jordan

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Yesterday, 6:03 pm

JorWat wrote:
Yesterday, 6:02 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I've realized what I should do: forget the whole thing. This is just a doomed project, and is unsuitable for an audio format.
Good Lord, no!

I'll help if you drop the exercises. I just couldn't do them.

Or you could do the exercises and I'll do some of the other text.

Do think about it, please.
"E agora, José?"

JorWat

Post by JorWat » Yesterday, 6:07 pm

KevinS wrote:
Yesterday, 6:03 pm
JorWat wrote:
Yesterday, 6:02 pm
Good Lord, no!

I'll help if you drop the exercises. I just couldn't do them.

Or you could do the exercises and I'll do some of the other text.

Do think about it, please.
These italics are just one of many problems. It has a lot of tables and long lists of words. I always knew it would be tough to read, but I realise now it just isn't going to work.
Jordan

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Yesterday, 6:11 pm

I never wanted to discourage you. To the contrary. Perhaps there is another grammar that would serve. It is your interest, I assume. I did a little linguistics at university, so I'm fascinated by the topic.
"E agora, José?"

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Yesterday, 6:25 pm

Here's one that could be managed, I think: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.12839
"E agora, José?"

JorWat

Post by JorWat » Yesterday, 11:55 pm

KevinS, you seem to be taking this very personally. Your comment is not what made me decide to cancel the project.
Jordan

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Today, 5:29 am

JorWat wrote:
Yesterday, 11:55 pm
KevinS, you seem to be taking this very personally. Your comment is not what made me decide to cancel the project.
Not to worry. I'm just disappointed that the project won't be done. If I had more time, I would do it myself.
"E agora, José?"

ej400

Post by ej400 » Today, 10:32 am

I wouldn't let italics ruin the project. Here's why:

Your honestly doing great and I'd love to see this project finished by you for one, but really, since your wondering what to do about all the italics, I'd suggest just putting a little emphasis into it. There's nothing wrong, or a right way to do it. Nobody is going to criticise you over how you dealt with them.

If you don't put emphasis into it, just read the text normally :D