Tilde

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tomewing

Post by tomewing »

So, I'm a new volunteer and a duffer trying to figure LV out and how I can usefully contribute. Thought I'd start small, as a PL. So, I claimed a section for a book. It already had a dedicated PL in the text above the "magic window" which I hadn't noticed. The reply came back that books with a tilde in the "subject line" has no DPL. So, I looked in the Readers Wanted forum. Looked at what I thought were subject lines. No tildes. Then opened them and there was a statement a DPL already assigned. What am I doing wrong?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

unfortunately - or fortunately depending on the situation - we are all human - and sometimes forget to update things - and the tilde had probably not been removed when the proof listener volunteered. So you were doing the right thing. :D but you double-checking was a good move too, some of us are not perfect always

Anne
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

tomewing wrote: October 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm So, I'm a new volunteer and a duffer trying to figure LV out and how I can usefully contribute. Thought I'd start small, as a PL. So, I claimed a section for a book. It already had a dedicated PL in the text above the "magic window" which I hadn't noticed. The reply came back that books with a tilde in the "subject line" has no DPL. So, I looked in the Readers Wanted forum. Looked at what I thought were subject lines. No tildes. Then opened them and there was a statement a DPL already assigned. What am I doing wrong?
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. :) I am not sure I understood you correctly, but you meant there were no tildes in subject lines? Checking right now the Readers Wanted: Books forum [viewforum.php?f=2] I see:

~ [BIO/WESTERN] The Border Bandits by J. W. Buel-ag
~[Religion] Hinduism and Buddhism, An Historical Sketch, Vol. 1 by Charles Eliot - lt
~[History/Philosophy] The History of Philosophy by William Turner - tg

These three have no DPL assigned. Are you sure you were checking the titles of the threads? :hmm: Please, let us know if you need more help, we have all been there, when we are starting to volunteer and things seem a bit more complex than they seem. :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It doesn't hurt to offer to help if you're unsure. It's a very rare occasion when someone will offer a rude response to any offer to help.
tomewing

Post by tomewing »

Didn't mean to imply rudeness. The response was not rude at all. Quite professional. I just need to figure out where the "tilde" is. Will look further but wanted to answer that immediate. My error for the misunderstanding.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you look at say readers wanted books forum the titles are all displayed viewforum.php?f=2 and you can see whether there is a tilde at the front of any of them. hope this helps :D

Anne
tomewing

Post by tomewing »

To all of you who replied: my thanks. Just in the last few days since I joined LV have been extremely impressed with all of you. You're a serious and committed bunch. And with Leni's (? I think that her name) found the elusive tilde. As an aside, when I wrote my doctoral dissertation, mid 1970s, 600 pages, five drafts, did it on a manual typewriter. Before word processing. Soooo, I'm still trying to catch up with technology but never will. Surely there will be more operator errors from me but would prefer to keep them at a minimum. Thanks all.
tomewing

Post by tomewing »

Correction. Was Annise. Thanks Annise. Found them. Appreciate your help.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tomewing wrote: October 13th, 2019, 5:53 pm Didn't mean to imply rudeness. The response was not rude at all. Quite professional. I just need to figure out where the "tilde" is. Will look further but wanted to answer that immediate. My error for the misunderstanding.
Oh, I understood. It's just that there are many occasions when people forget to do something or update something or they are unclear or we simply don't understand. I just encourage everyone to speak up and ask for help or a clarification.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I am saving my allowance to buy a tilde but it is still only a dream. One of these days....!

Seriously here is my astounding and petulant video about our Forums and some of the jargon we use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be One of the things mentioned is that tilde and it's implications. Have fun and keep asking questions. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: October 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm I am saving my allowance to buy a tilde but it is still only a dream. One of these days....!
I've always wanted an umlaut, but Father says I must learn how to pronounce it first.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

tomewing wrote: October 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm So, I'm a new volunteer and a duffer trying to figure LV out and how I can usefully contribute. Thought I'd start small, as a PL. So, I claimed a section for a book. It already had a dedicated PL in the text above the "magic window" which I hadn't noticed. The reply came back that books with a tilde in the "subject line" has no DPL. So, I looked in the Readers Wanted forum. Looked at what I thought were subject lines. No tildes. Then opened them and there was a statement a DPL already assigned. What am I doing wrong?
I think you made the same mistake I did when I was trying to figure it all out. Only I wasn’t brave enough to post till I was sure I was up to it! So I read around a lot, and discovered a lot of things so that nobody found out (till now :lol:) what I had thought earlier.
‘The last column in the MW is labeled Statice, and because of PL only being mentioned in that column, I assume everything refers to PL - open, assigned, ready for PL, etc. Then I happen to glance at the little paragraph just above, and see that there is someone planning to listen to every file! :hmm: Now to another thread, I suppose...’
Long story short, what helped me figure it out better was reading through viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22807 under Listeners & Editors Wanted. And there are lots of other posts throughout the forum, and a bunch of info on wiki to clear everything up. I’m still learning as well, but I’ve enjoyed it!
Good luck, & have lots of fun! :)
~Rosebud
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's always a good idea to check the "stickies" at the top of any forum you are interested in (Stickies are a post that stays at the top of the first page of a forum because an admin has told the software to keep them there)
Everyone comes here with different levels of knowledge about everything we do - I knew nothing about forums and look at me now :D
So look around , if there is something that puzzles you ask a question and help should arrive , it does always helpful for those who answer if you make the question as clear as possible :D

Anne