test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 » October 9th, 2019, 4:17 pm

cid:E47B5363-43FD-4083-BAE7-6649B9434B8A/58DC6E9E-3E58-439C-AFE0-F683898E1F2E

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 11th, 2019, 3:45 am

hello and welcome to our forum, Seawolf :)

unfortunately this is not a valid test link. It needs to be converted to mp3 and it needs to be uploaded to our site. If you check other threads here, for example the first post in this one: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76783 you get an idea what your filename should look like.

The uploader is here:
https://librivox.org/login/uploader

Good luck and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) Best thing is to reply to this thread immediately, so I get alerted by email that there is an answer from you.

Sonia

Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 » October 11th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 12th, 2019, 4:51 am

hi again

you did not reply to this same thread ;) but I found your second test and merged the two threads now. Best to keep one conversation in one thread. Just push the "Post reply" button at the bottom of this page and it will happen.

So...your test reading is very nice to listen to, you have clear enunciation and an easy reading pace. So far so good.

On the technical side, we need to change a few things still though. Unfortunately you didn't provide any info to your editing programme. If you use Audacity I can help you with step-by-steps, but maybe you know your way around your programme already. If not, let me know and we'll sort it out together.

Here is what you need to do. No need to re-record, simply correct this current test:

1) the file is in Stereo, we need it in Mono. You should be able to convert stereo to mono somehow

2) the volume is outside our accepted limits, it's barely 80 dB, we need between 86 and 92. I would suggest amplifying with +8 to get close to the perfect average of 89 dB.

3) the background noise is quite pronounced, even more so after amplifying. Editing programmes often come with a noise-cleaning function, maybe you can run that once over your file to make the sound clearer ?

Finally, when you name your file, please add your name to it "test-seawolf". That way no other files will overwrite your file later on. It's always best to make it a more personal name.

Could you reupload the corrected version once more and this time please post in this thread, otherwise I may miss you next time ;)

Thanks, and if there are questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia

Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 » October 12th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Thank you, your input is very helpful the is my first recording with Twistedwave. I will work on it and try to get it back to you soon. If I understand correctly I should load the corrected file https://librivox.org/login/uploader.

Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 » October 12th, 2019, 4:50 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/test-Seawolf.mp3
I hope these are the changes needed.
This is recorded in Twistedwave, Mono, volume+8Db and tried tied to remove noise by normalizing to -18 peak

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 13th, 2019, 1:05 am

Seawolf4 wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 4:50 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/test-Seawolf.mp3
I hope these are the changes needed.
This is recorded in Twistedwave, Mono, volume+8Db and tried tied to remove noise by normalizing to -18 peak
hmmm the file is in Mono now, so that's already a good thing. But it looks like you decreased by 8 instead of amplified, because now the volume is only 72 dB (this is 8 less than the 80 previously) :hmm: Did you insert a minus instead of a plus maybe ? You can also try to boost the input volume from the mic from the start, maybe that will help to get louder.

I'm sorry I am not familiar with the twistedwave program. If all else fails, you can always post a question in the Help forum, there are more tech-savvy people than me who may know about this program. Actually I see you already got a reply from another TW user, I am sure he can help you with the amplify problem :) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76779

Alternatively you could download Audacity (it's free). Many of us use it here and it's very easy to work with.

So we need to amplify once again, this time with +17 to get to about 89 dB. And then definitely you need to do some noise-cleaning because you will have amplified the noise by 17 as well. :shock: The best thing is always to leave a few seconds of pure background noise at the end of the recording and not cut off abruptly after your final recorded word. That way you find a sample for the noise from which you can clean. I don't know "normalizing" would clean the noise accurately, but then again I don't know how twistedwave operates.

One more try please ? And don't give up, we're getting there. :)

Here is already a good tool to check your volume yourself before you upload here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker If Checker fails your mp3 file and tells you the volume is only 80 for example, then you know you have to amplify with +9 to get to 89 dB. It also shows you the noise level, but of course you can usually also hear this with your own ears while listening back. ;)

Sonia