[Spanish] 1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
victoriadcps

Post by victoriadcps » September 13th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Hello,

I'm new to LibriVox. Can anybody check my 1 minute test? Let me know if you have comments.

Thank you so much! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_victoriadcps.mp3

Have a nice weekend! :clap:

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Hi Victoria -

I am presuming you speak English and just want to record in Spanish? Your recording sounded lovely - the volume is just a bit low.

Also there were 2 other technical things that need to be fixed:

1. The bit rate should be 128 kbps.
2, The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).

If you are using Audacity, then you will find both these settings on the window when you Export your recording to MP3.

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your volume was 72.1 dB so it definitely needs to be increased :)

To do that when you have your recording on the window in Audacity, select Effect and then Amplify. It will then show how many dB you can Amplify by. When I tried this on your recording it said just over 11. So we need to increase the volume by over 11 so press OK and let it increase the recording. You will now see more peaks on your recording. Now Export to MP3 and do the 2 changes above.

Next, if you are on a PC, here is the Checker Tool that some of us use to look at our recordings and whether they will pass the requirements of Librivox or not. Install it (it was made by a Librivox person's partner) and then go to File and find your saved recording and see if it Passes. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Let me know how you do! We might need to still increase your volume a bit more... which is easy to do in Audacity, however I wanted you to first get the 2 technical settings done (once they are set they do not change) and the recording volume increased a bit.

Please upload the recording again like you did last time and re-post it to this thread so that I can help you when you have done what it above!

Lynda

victoriadcps

Post by victoriadcps » September 15th, 2019, 9:34 am

Lmnei wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Hi Victoria -

I am presuming you speak English and just want to record in Spanish? Your recording sounded lovely - the volume is just a bit low.

Also there were 2 other technical things that need to be fixed:

1. The bit rate should be 128 kbps.
2, The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).

If you are using Audacity, then you will find both these settings on the window when you Export your recording to MP3.

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your volume was 72.1 dB so it definitely needs to be increased :)

To do that when you have your recording on the window in Audacity, select Effect and then Amplify. It will then show how many dB you can Amplify by. When I tried this on your recording it said just over 11. So we need to increase the volume by over 11 so press OK and let it increase the recording. You will now see more peaks on your recording. Now Export to MP3 and do the 2 changes above.

Next, if you are on a PC, here is the Checker Tool that some of us use to look at our recordings and whether they will pass the requirements of Librivox or not. Install it (it was made by a Librivox person's partner) and then go to File and find your saved recording and see if it Passes. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Let me know how you do! We might need to still increase your volume a bit more... which is easy to do in Audacity, however I wanted you to first get the 2 technical settings done (once they are set they do not change) and the recording volume increased a bit.

Please upload the recording again like you did last time and re-post it to this thread so that I can help you when you have done what it above!

Lynda
Thank you Lynda!

I exported the file as you suggested and already selected option to amplify volume as well. Let me know if this one is better! :)

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Hi Victoria -

Yes, you have fixed the technical things and your recording is much better!

Now, as a result of increasing the volume, you have some noise in your recording. You can see the noise - it is a thick line when there is silence in the recording. It is really easy to fix. There are two things we are going to do - one is to Compress your recording and the other is to Reduce your noise. With regards to noise - are you recording near a fan or the CPU of your PC? It is a muffled noise that is being picked up - sort of a hiss through your recording.

So first, the Compress - we do this when there are lots of high/low lines on the window - you have some that go right to the top and we want them to be more even so if we need to we can play with Amplify. Just for your knowledge, if you are trying to Amplify a recording and it is not letting you, you need to Compress it first to give you room to Amplify. So select Effect > Amplify and leave all the settings as is except for change Radio in the middle to 5:1 - I vary between 4:1 and 5:1 when doing Compress myself. I used 5:1 for yours as you have spikes on your recordings. Now you will see it compressed and no more spikes!

Next the Noise Reduction - again, Effect > Noise Reduction and select the button to Get Noise Profile. This will look at the type of noise in your recording - depending on the file size it can take time or be very fast - for this small it will be very fast until the screen comes back to you. Now go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select 6, 3.0, 6 and Reduce. Other than the 1st number those are the settings I personally always use. As you have a medium amount of noise we are going with 6, if it is just a light amount of noise, I go with a 3. Now press OK and it will do its trick on your recording. Now, Export your recording so you can see where you are in terms of passing.

Run it through the Checker Tool please and see if you get a Pass instead of Passed with Warnings which the file had when I downloaded it the 2nd time. When I did this your volume was right at 86, so I then Amplified by 3 and exported again and it was really close to 89dB and would pass!

A tip, if you already have a file in your Checker Tool and you keep over-writing it, just click on it so it is highlighted and go to Edit > Check Files Again - that quickly will refresh the settings in the newly saved file.

So give that a try. I will be here to test your new posting!

Lynda

victoriadcps

Post by victoriadcps » September 15th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Hi Victoria -

Yes, you have fixed the technical things and your recording is much better!

Now, as a result of increasing the volume, you have some noise in your recording. You can see the noise - it is a thick line when there is silence in the recording. It is really easy to fix. There are two things we are going to do - one is to Compress your recording and the other is to Reduce your noise. With regards to noise - are you recording near a fan or the CPU of your PC? It is a muffled noise that is being picked up - sort of a hiss through your recording.

So first, the Compress - we do this when there are lots of high/low lines on the window - you have some that go right to the top and we want them to be more even so if we need to we can play with Amplify. Just for your knowledge, if you are trying to Amplify a recording and it is not letting you, you need to Compress it first to give you room to Amplify. So select Effect > Amplify and leave all the settings as is except for change Radio in the middle to 5:1 - I vary between 4:1 and 5:1 when doing Compress myself. I used 5:1 for yours as you have spikes on your recordings. Now you will see it compressed and no more spikes!

Next the Noise Reduction - again, Effect > Noise Reduction and select the button to Get Noise Profile. This will look at the type of noise in your recording - depending on the file size it can take time or be very fast - for this small it will be very fast until the screen comes back to you. Now go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select 6, 3.0, 6 and Reduce. Other than the 1st number those are the settings I personally always use. As you have a medium amount of noise we are going with 6, if it is just a light amount of noise, I go with a 3. Now press OK and it will do its trick on your recording. Now, Export your recording so you can see where you are in terms of passing.

Run it through the Checker Tool please and see if you get a Pass instead of Passed with Warnings which the file had when I downloaded it the 2nd time. When I did this your volume was right at 86, so I then Amplified by 3 and exported again and it was really close to 89dB and would pass!

A tip, if you already have a file in your Checker Tool and you keep over-writing it, just click on it so it is highlighted and go to Edit > Check Files Again - that quickly will refresh the settings in the newly saved file.

So give that a try. I will be here to test your new posting!

Lynda
Lynda, This looks so complicated! :shock: I'm surprised about how much you know about this.

I'm sorry but I didn't understand what is first. Should I compress or amplify?

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Compress first and them amplify :)

First you make space and then you can increase the volume. Think of it that way :clap:

Lynda

victoriadcps

Post by victoriadcps » September 15th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm

First you make space and then you can increase the volume. Think of it that way :clap:

Lynda
Lynda the 2nd audio said passed without warnings to me. I did compressor, amplify and noise reduction on this 3rd but I feel like it's the same thing. Let me know what you think.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 15th, 2019, 5:02 pm

victoriadcps wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Lmnei wrote:

Lynda
Lynda the 2nd audio said passed without warnings to me. I did compressor, amplify and noise reduction on this 3rd but I feel like it's the same thing. Let me know what you think.

This one is PERFECT! Your 2nd one when I ran it through Checker indicated Passed With Warnings and we need to get a green Passed for you to move forward.

So now you can go record what you wish on Librivox! I hope you have fun!

Lynda

victoriadcps

Post by victoriadcps » September 15th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Lmnei wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 5:02 pm
victoriadcps wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Lmnei wrote:

Lynda

This one is PERFECT! Your 2nd one when I ran it through Checker indicated Passed With Warnings and we need to get a green Passed for you to move forward.

So now you can go record what you wish on Librivox! I hope you have fun!

Lynda
Thank you so much! You're awesome! :D :clap: