Please Listen 1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JenT

Post by JenT » September 13th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Hi all,

Here is my 1 minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_JenT.mp3

I'd love any feedback.

One thing I have a question on is my breath sounds... are these too loud? Do I delete them or somehow lower the volume on these sounds? If I do need to modify breath sounds, how would I do it?

Thanks for any feedback!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

hello Jen and welcome to our forum :)

lovely test recording and reading. I enjoyed listening to your voice and you pass the test with flying colours.
Here's your well deserved OK. :thumbs:

As for your breath, no I don't think it was especially loud or disturbing. Humans breathe, it's normal. I would find it much creepier if you cut out all the breaths in between. :? What I do if one particular intake is especially loud, I go and highlight that part, you always recognize it visually, it looks like a little round ball :lol: and I decrease the volume with -10 dB, then you can still hear some breathing but it's not extremely loud and therefore not disturbing at all. So in your recording here, I would probably have done that between 0:07 and 0:08 and maybe even just before 0:22. But all the others are fine, and even those two are not really worth correcting.

You are totally ready to record for real. The best is not to worry too much about breaths or mouth clicks or anything. If a story is engagingly narrated, if the words are not mumbled but clearly articulated and if you have an agreeable pacing (not too fast, not too slow), then listeners will enjoy the experience and they won't think, "oh here she breathed a bit loud". :mrgreen: We are always our worst critic, it's normal.

Just jump right ahead in the first project you like to participate in. Have fun !

Sonia

JenT

Post by JenT » September 14th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Thank you so much for listening to my test and giving me feedback. I really appreciate the tips on the breathing. I’m excited to start recording. 😀