One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SkeptiCybrarian

Post by SkeptiCybrarian » September 13th, 2019, 10:35 am

Hello! I am posting my one-minute test recording here for your perusal, and thank you in advance for listening and feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_skepticybrarian.mp3

My Specs
Program: Audacity
Mic type: USB (Samson Portable Go Mic)

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 13th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Hi there Adrian!

Welcome to Librivox!

Thanks for submitting your recording! I have listened to it - you did very well speaking and all your technical settings are correct! There are a couple of things that need to be changed and I will help you with them until your recording passes muster :)

First, the volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB) that we look for, with 89dB being the mid point and goal. Your recording is at 79.4 dB.

Second, the audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned. You can actually see this noise if you look at the recording in Audacity - it is the thick line that appears when you are not recording anything and there is silence. That line should be very thin.

I did the following on your recording, thinking that we could eliminate the hum noise but I did not have much success. As I have typed this all out, I thought I would send it to you though.

We will tackle the noise first then adjust the volume.

To reduce the noise, open your recording in Audacity and select Effect > Noise Reduction. Now click on the Get Noise Profile button and it will run (very fast on a small recording). Now go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and enter 6, 3.00 and 6 in the boxes and Reduce should be selected. Then select OK. Just so you know, when I use this, the first 6 is the only thing that I adjust, the other 2 numbers I generally leave alone. So now see how the fuzzy line has gone down to a thin line? That is very good!

Now to work on the volume. We do that through Effect > Amplify. When I do the above and then go into Amplify on your recording it says just over 12 - so lets just use 10 as we need to move from 79 to 89.

Unfortunately, increasing the volume this much brought the hum line back :(

So let's chat about your environment - are you recording next to your CPU (the tower of your PC) - it is a fan type hum that I am hearing.... If it is, is it possible for you to cover it with a blanket or put it on the floor away from your microphone? What kind of microphone are you using? Does it have noise cancellation properties to it?

Let me know what you think - if you want to try recording again and then posting the recording to this same thread (do not start up a new thread as that gets confusing for me to follow) that would be fine too! Or you could play with Audacity features under Effect like I listed above and see how you do.

One thing that I will suggest is that you do install the Checker Tool - https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html - it is what we use to check our recordings and it will let you know how you are doing in terms of volume and noise.

Take care and I hope to hear from you very soon!

Lynda

SkeptiCybrarian

Post by SkeptiCybrarian » September 14th, 2019, 4:52 am

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. While I recorded it on my laptop, with a USB mic, I think the hum may have been from my work PC (my laptop was right in front of it, so I recorded close to it). Note to self=Not a great place to put the microphone.

I would prefer to re-record it with your comments in mind, and thank you for the recommendation of the Checker Tool. I will definitely download it.
I should be able to record again tomorrow, so I won't be able to reply with it until then.

Cheers,
Adrienne

SkeptiCybrarian

Post by SkeptiCybrarian » September 16th, 2019, 7:22 am

My second attempt, which did pass the checker tool. I think it's much better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_skepticybrarian2.mp3

Thank you!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 16th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Hi Adrian -

That is great! You definitely passed! Way to go!

Now you can go explore the Librivox forums and choose Chapters in books to record!

The only thing I would caution you to watch is the noise - you did show with some noise in this recording too, just not as much. Again, it is the fuzzy line when you look at the recording silent areas. Just keep that in mind that it should be as close to a thin line as possible when you submit your recordings. If you look at the Checker Tool, your Background noise (last line on Information tab) for this recording is at 42.8 dB which is WAY better. It really should be under 30. Just something to play with as you get going on your real recordings!

Best if luck and see you around the forums!

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 19th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Marking it OK

SkeptiCybrarian

Post by SkeptiCybrarian » September 22nd, 2019, 10:45 am

Thank you so much! Apologies for the delayed response and I will be sure to keep an eye on the issues that you noted. Cheers!