[SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Tillouz

Post by Tillouz » September 13th, 2019, 4:08 am

[SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900). Translated by Ian Johnston (1938 - alive)

In The Birth of Tragedy, world-famous existential philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche explores the underlying principles that lurk underneath the surface of Greek tragedy- most notably, the dichotomy of the Apollonian soberness, rationality and order, with the Dionysian passion, irrationality and chaos, and how the ability of the Greek tragedians- an ability Nietzsche says has been long lost since Socrates- to fuse the two into tragedy, is the reason for their greatness.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/BirthOfTragedy
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Modern; Classics (Greek & Latin Antiquity)

Keywords that describe the book: tragedy, Nietzsche, Friedrich Nietzsche, apollonian, dionysian

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of [SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Ian Johnston (1938 - alive) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of [SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Ian Johnston (1938 - alive) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy, by Friedrich Nietzsche. Translated by Ian Johnston (1938 - alive)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename [solo]birthoftragedy_##_nietzsche_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. [solo]birthoftragedy_01_nietzsche_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Friedrich Nietzsche
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: [SOLO] The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Tillouz on September 21st, 2019, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 14th, 2019, 10:31 am

Interesting text! It looks like this is a book we don't already have in the catalog :D

I can be the meta coordinator for you (MC) on this project. There are a couple of things that need sorting out:
-the text you have linked is not in the public domain, so you cannot read from it. Basically the texts we read from need to be published 1923 or before. I had a look around and found a public domain version of The Birth of Tragedy https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015005887552 Are you able to open it? If so, you could read from this one. If you can't open it, we will keep looking for an acceptable source. :thumbs:

-before I set up the project, I need to know approximately how many sections you will need. We can add and delete as you work on it, but I would need a guesstimate :)
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

I'm sorry, I was mistaken in my previous post. The source you found is public domain, and you can read from it! :D
Kathrine

Tillouz

Post by Tillouz » September 16th, 2019, 8:09 am

Yeah, it says it's in the public domain in the book, so no probs there.
Thanks a bunch for offering to be my meta coordinator! Looking forward to working with you. I'm a great fan of Nietzsche's, so it'll be a great honor to narrate this book.
If you need to work on anything with me (things like sectioning or other technical stuff) I'd love to get your help, so if I do something wrong just let me know. I'm honestly not sure how to go about sectioning, since I don't really know in what way (and why) they're allocated differently than chapters, so a little insight on that would be helpful. Other than that, lemme know what else needs to be done and we'll get this show on the road.
-Tyr

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 17th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Thank you for the response. The numbered sections in the book seem to be kind of short, maybe shorter than what one might expect for a chapter. (But, on the other hand, it is philosophy! ;) ) Some people like to record each section (or chapter, if it is chapters) separately, even if they are short. Others prefer to record (and edit) in chunks of for instance about 20 minutes. There is no hard and fast rule about this, only that one section cannot be longer than 72 minutes. Do you think you would like to read and record more than one numbered section in the book at the time? If so, about how many do you think you would like to do together?

If you just want to get started and see how it turns out, we can start with 10 sections and see how it goes. I can always add more or delete as needed.
Kathrine

Tillouz

Post by Tillouz » September 21st, 2019, 3:26 am

Sorry for the late response-
Nietzsche's writing is very dense, so his books tend to be shorter compared to other famous philosophers (Schoppenhauer and Kant are good contradistinctions). There are 23 "chapters" (more elongated paragraphs) in this book, so I think a section for each would make things simple.
On that note, I'll be ready to start recording as soon as you give me the OK for this, so by all means just lemme know that's fine with you and if I have to do anything else before, and I'll start working on it.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Here we go! You can start recording anytime you're ready :)

I have made a magic window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). As a soloist you will put your recordings in there when you upload them. How to log in to the MW for the first time: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Information about how to be a book coordinator (BC) (as a soloist you are your own BC): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ This document contains much more information than what you will need to be your own book coordinator, by the way! Pretty much the only thing you need to do is fill out the titles of the sections (I, II, III, IV etc), put your recordings in the magic window and change the status to Ready for PL. :)

There is no need to enter ID3 tags for your recordings, it happens automatically when we catalog it at the end, anyway.

Let's stay here till you have logged into the MW for the first time. Maybe a prospective prooflistener will come along, as well :)
Kathrine

NobelActual

Post by NobelActual » September 24th, 2019, 12:40 am

Good morning! My name is Michael and I would very much like to serve as dpl for this project. I've been out of the game for a bit due to a down computer but have a brand new laptop looking to get back into it!
Thanks

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 25th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Thank you, Michael! I'm giving you access to the MW so you can update the status as you listen.
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 25th, 2019, 9:48 pm

And now, let's go to Going Solo!
Kathrine

Tillouz

Post by Tillouz » October 3rd, 2019, 3:06 am

Started recording, will be uploading soon.
-Tyr