1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Rabiakhan

Post by Rabiakhan » August 15th, 2019, 6:37 am

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 16th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Welcome to LibriVox!

Well done on figuring out the technical specs for the recording :clap:

There are only two things to fix before you are ready for "a weekend of recording":

The volume of the recording is too low, about 79dB. We aim for 89 (and generally accept anthing between 87 and 91). If you can increase the input volume when you record, I recommend you do that. If that is impossible, or it doesn't get high enough no matter what you do, you can amplify in Audacity (assuming you use Audacity). It is not hard:
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 10.

If you end up amplifying this recording, it would probably benefit from cleaning the background noise. (If we amplify, everything in the recording gets louder...) Again, if you're using Audacity and your version is similar to mine, this might help:
Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.

Some readers eyeball the volume of the recording by looking at the blue squiggly lines. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:
Others use tools like the checker or MP3Gain to see their volume (links on this page https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Software_We_Use#Others)

Please re-record or edit this test so it falls within the volume required, make sure there is not much background noise, upload again and post in this thread. You're doing well! :thumbs:
Kathrine

Rabiakhan

Post by Rabiakhan » August 18th, 2019, 3:36 am

Rabiakhan

Post by Rabiakhan » August 18th, 2019, 3:38 am

Thank you for your feedback! I am using Adobe Audition CC. I have amplified as you advised i hope it is correct! Thank you! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rabiakhan2.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 18th, 2019, 11:39 am

Sounds great, and the volume is perfect. Do the same things on all your recordings, and you should be golden.

Have fun! 8-)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long