[COMPLETE]Centenary: Selected Essays on Prohibition - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your heading "essays on prohibition" sounds better to me , but it's not me you are appealing to , I'm not likely to read one or listen to them, it's not a topic that appeals to me.
And no - you can't change the whole concept of projects as you go. You need to think it out first BEFORE posting it .

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm Your heading "essays on prohibition" sounds better to me , but it's not me you are appealing to , I'm not likely to read one or listen to them, it's not a topic that appeals to me.
And no - you can't change the whole concept of projects as you go. You need to think it out first BEFORE posting it .

Anne
Oh, I'm happy with just ten essays. I was thinking of other contributors. But they can suggest we do another set, I suppose.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:15 pm Oh, I'm happy with just ten essays. I was thinking of other contributors. But they can suggest we do another set, I suppose.
You are right. I don't think this topic is broad enough to put up as an ongoing collection, but as a project its a great idea! Let's see, I read something one time on prohibition, actually on how prohibition just created a thriving black market and boat loads of crime. I'll see if I can recollect that title.
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Anne
I could be wrong, but isn't that what the Launch Pad is for? You post a project in "protected mode" and tinker with it until you are satisfied, and people get to give you feedback? Actually, I don't think anyone should go uploading files and posting them to a project until it is launched, because the BC may decide to change the parameters, file names, etc.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

For small changes yes, but if you haven't decided if you are wanting a "read these texts" or "you can add something interesting if you find it" or perhaps "This is a group project" or "maybe I'll read them all myself" that is a major change to how it is set up. There are places available, like the non fiction collections for people wanting to read them, so this is something special that he thinks important , so it needs to be attractive to the other volunteers he needs .

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 7:27 pm For small changes yes, but if you haven't decided if you are wanting a "read these texts" or "you can add something interesting if you find it" or perhaps "This is a group project" or "maybe I'll read them all myself" that is a major change to how it is set up. There are places available, like the non fiction collections for people wanting to read them, so this is something special that he thinks important , so it needs to be attractive to the other volunteers he needs .

Anne
His name is Kevin.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KevinS wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm In the unlikely event someone wants to add an essay---if that's allowed---maybe I just go with "Selected Essays on Prohibition."
Sounds good to me.
I think I may have one for the collection, but I'm too tired to check my list against yours. Neat idea, though.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 9:49 pm
KevinS wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm In the unlikely event someone wants to add an essay---if that's allowed---maybe I just go with "Selected Essays on Prohibition."
Sounds good to me.
I think I may have one for the collection, but I'm too tired to check my list against yours. Neat idea, though.
Thanks! Not my idea, though. (I steal everything!)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

You could also make a reference to the Centenary as I think there was with the various WWI collections.

Thanks for running with this -- I had the idea and tossed it out in Suggestions, and started looking for essays but got kind of overwhelmed and wandered off, so I'm glad someone picked it up!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ColleenMc wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:22 pm You could also make a reference to the Centenary as I think there was with the various WWI collections.

Thanks for running with this -- I had the idea and tossed it out in Suggestions, and started looking for essays but got kind of overwhelmed and wandered off, so I'm glad someone picked it up!

Colleen
There are one or two short ones you might like to try. (Whenever we find our MC.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

I've fiddled with your intros/outros and file name a little bit.

Please be sure to put the text source links in the metadata; I think you've done that on other projects. And it's a good idea to also put a link to each section's text source in the Notes field of the section, so that the reader knows which link is for which section.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 26th, 2019, 5:48 am This is set up.

I've fiddled with your intros/outros and file name a little bit.

Please be sure to put the text source links in the metadata; I think you've done that on other projects. And it's a good idea to also put a link to each section's text source in the Notes field of the section, so that the reader knows which link is for which section.
Thank you! Will do!

P.S. I encourage fiddling!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm really excited by this collection. The essays and whatnot are balanced, as a whole, and brief. There's something here for everyone.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted.

Reminder that I'll need at least a listing of the authors; better if you put them in the metadata yourself, but if they're not in the system, get me the info so I can add them. I'll need this before cataloging. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart