1-minute test review [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
KathrynP

Post by KathrynP » July 13th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Hello!

My 1-minute test is ready for review.
I used Audacity/Windows/USB.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kathrynp.mp3

Thank you.
Kathryn

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 16th, 2019, 4:02 am

hello Kathryn and a warm welcome to our forum :D

thank you for your test, I really love listening to your voice, it's very agreeable (at least to my ear). Quiet calm readings are soothing to listen to. Already looking forward to hearing more from you.

Basic technical settings are all ok, but we need to work a bit on the volume and noise cleaning. Since you are using Audacity, this will be very easy.

No need to re-record, please work on this same test, so you can learn the ropes of two very important tools in Audacity:

1) we accept a volume in the range of 86 to 92 dB, yours is only 82.9. To get to a good average of 89, please amplify with 6 dB.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 in the first upper box (called: amplification dB)
> press ok

2) the background noise was a bit loud and now this is amplified as well by 6 ;) so we need to clean a little bit:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

could you please reupload the corrected version in this same thread, so I get notified by it and can take a second look ?

Thank you, and if there are questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

KathrynP

Post by KathrynP » July 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Hello Sonia!

Thank you for your warm welcome and for reviewing my test. I followed your instructions explicitly and hope the adjustments are correct.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kathrynp.mp3

I have already navigated around Audacity somewhat, but there is nothing better than "hands on"!!

Thank you again.

Kathryn

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

super, now you are well inside our accepted limits. :thumbs: I can mark this test OK. You are now ready to roll and record "for real". I hope you already had a look at all the projects on offer. We cater for every taste :lol:

Have fun with your first official section !!! And maybe one day I'll hear you again in one of the projects.

Sonia

KathrynP

Post by KathrynP » July 17th, 2019, 7:28 am

Thank you!