1 minute test 2

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
jpb1984

Post by jpb1984 » July 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Sorry, went back and re-read instructions. Made an actual test according to the format provided. I used Audacity, on Windows 10, and a USB microphone.
Joshua Barkley
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 13th, 2019, 7:40 am

Welcome, Joshua!

I don't see another test thread for you, so I guess you're okay. ;)

Hmmm. This has a few of the tech settings incorrect. But that's OK; I'll walk you through fixing them.

1. The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

2. Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Numerically, you need to come up about 6 dB.

Bump up the microphone slider in the Audacity window maybe 2 notches. (If it's at 0.75, move it up to 0.95.) If you can't move it up that far, then you may have to increase your input volume in Windows. Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

3. Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the file name "test_jpb1984" (someone else might also use "test2", and then there would be confusion as to whose file is whose!), and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

jpb1984

Post by jpb1984 » July 14th, 2019, 6:18 am

thanks will correct these issues