COMPLETE SOLO [CHINESE] 徬徨 作者魯迅-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 28th, 2019, 9:01 am

Oh wait, I need a summary for the catalog before I can finish this off.

Can someone write it?

Please include at least 1 sentence in English. The rest can be in Chinese or English.

Thank you.

MaryAnn

IstXA

Post by IstXA » October 28th, 2019, 11:57 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 9:01 am
Oh wait, I need a summary for the catalog before I can finish this off.

Can someone write it?

Please include at least 1 sentence in English. The rest can be in Chinese or English.

Thank you.

MaryAnn
Tina has probably done some comprehensive research.

My suggestion: Wandering or Pang Huang was Lu Xun's second collection of stories. It was published near the end of 1925 and included 11 stories written between 1924 and 1925. The title he gave to the collection is Pang Huang, translated as Wandering, but literally means unsettled, agitated or restless. Lu Xun employed point of view in his stories in a way that was novel at the time for Chinese literature, helping readers consider new possibilities about the true nature of the reality around them. Some stories look at the problem of how members of the intellectual class are to live their lives, e.g. In the Wine Shop, Regret for the Past, whereas others are commentary on traditional customs and institutions, the specific dysfunctions of particular customs and institutions, and also at the general result in which people are discarded, e.g. The New Year Sacrifice.

《彷徨》是近代文学家鲁迅创作的小说集,本版收集了《祝福》、《在酒楼上》、《伤逝》等8篇小说。作品表达了作者彻底的不妥协地反对封建主义的精神,是中国革命思想的镜子。作品主要包括农民和知识分子两类题材。前者以《祝福》和《示众》为代表;后者以《在酒楼上》和《孤独者》为代表。 整部小说集贯穿着对生活在封建势力重压下的农民及知识分子“哀其不幸,怒其不争”的关怀。该小说集在深广的历史图景中,对人物命运的叙述渗透感情。

Book title in English: Wandering or Pang Huang
Story titles in English:
1. The New Year Sacrifice
2. Regret for the Past
3. In the Tavern
4. The Misanthrope
5. A Public Example
6. Master Gao
7. Divorce
8. The Lamp that Was Kept Alight

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Xun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selected_Stories_of_Lu_Hsun
https://www.purpleculture.net/wandering-pang-huang-echo-of-classics-p-419/
https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%BD%B7%E5%BE%A8/2321666

Please let me know if you both prefer me to update the MW. Cheers.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » October 29th, 2019, 9:46 am

Thank you Xiaoyan.

I will send Tina a PM to let her know we are ready to catalog. Since this is her project, I'd like her to approve the summary you wrote before I finish this off. I'll get everything set up so we are ready to go as soon as we hear from her.

MaryAnn

tding

Post by tding » November 4th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Hello, MaryAnn and Xiaoyan,

I'm back!! I apologize for the long absence. I read all the notes and summarize my reply below:

1. Really appreciate Xiaoyan's help and the input on how to improve in the recording environment and Audacity skills. I will for sure pay more attention in the future.
2. The few characters Xiaoyan identified directly reflect pronunciation differences between Mainland China and Taiwan. 熄 is another good example, if you check out this website - https://bopomofo.kakijun.com/%E7%86%84.html. I hope we can agree to disagree. Beyond this point though, my personal feeling about these stories is that they are more conducive to book reading than book listening, which makes me wonder if that's why the project was abandoned in the first place years ago. But, I'm still glad that, between you, Aleithia and myself, we got it completed.
3. Finally, please accept my sincere gratitude for your time and effort in doing the summary. Substantively, I accept everything. I offer some minor suggestions to make the English and Chinese versions more consistent. Below is the draft for both of you to approve. For your convenience, the key changes are:
a) Explained that the Gutenberg version of Wandering only includes 8 stories, rather than 11 as found in many sources.
b) Made the English translation for 在酒樓上 to be consistent as "In the Tavern".
c) Made the mention of 農民 and 知識分子 consistent in sequence and story examples.

Wandering or Pang Huang was Lu Xun's second collection of stories. It was published near the end of 1925 and included 11 stories written between 1924 and 1925. (Note: The Librivox reading is based on the Gutenberg version which includes only 8 stories, omitting “A Happy Family”, “Soap” and “Brothers”.) The title Lu Xun gave to the collection is Pang Huang, translated as Wandering, but literally means unsettled, agitated or restless. Lu Xun employed points of view in his stories in a way that was novel at the time for Chinese literature, helping readers consider new possibilities about the true nature of the reality around them. Some stories look at the problem of how members of the intellectual class are to live their lives, e.g. In the Tavern, Regret for the Past, whereas others are commentary on traditional customs and institutions, the specific dysfunctions of particular customs and institutions, and also at the general result in which people are discarded, e.g. The New Year Sacrifice and A Public Example.

《徬徨》是近代文學家魯迅創作的小說集,本版收集了《祝福》、《在酒樓上》、《傷逝》等8篇小說。作品表達了作者徹底的不妥協地反對封建主義的精神,是中國革命思想的鏡子。作品主要包括知識分子和農民兩類題材,前者以《在酒樓上》和《傷逝》為代表,後者以《祝福》和《示眾》為代表。整部小說集貫穿著對生活在封建勢力重壓下的農民及知識分子“哀其不幸,怒其不爭”的關懷,該小說集在深廣的歷史圖景中,對人物命運的敘述滲透著深濃的感情。

Story titles in English:
2. Regret for the Past
3. In the Tavern
4. The Misanthrope
5. A Public Example
6. Master Gao
7. Divorce

Tina Ding

IstXA

Post by IstXA » November 4th, 2019, 2:12 pm

tding wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Hello, MaryAnn and Xiaoyan,

I'm back!! I apologize for the long absence. I read all the notes and summarize my reply below:

1. Really appreciate Xiaoyan's help and the input on how to improve in the recording environment and Audacity skills. I will for sure pay more attention in the future.
2. The few characters Xiaoyan identified directly reflect pronunciation differences between Mainland China and Taiwan. 熄 is another good example, if you check out this website - https://bopomofo.kakijun.com/%E7%86%84.html. I hope we can agree to disagree. Beyond this point though, my personal feeling about these stories is that they are more conducive to book reading than book listening, which makes me wonder if that's why the project was abandoned in the first place years ago. But, I'm still glad that, between you, Aleithia and myself, we got it completed.
3. Finally, please accept my sincere gratitude for your time and effort in doing the summary. Substantively, I accept everything. I offer some minor suggestions to make the English and Chinese versions more consistent. Below is the draft for both of you to approve. For your convenience, the key changes are:
a) Explained that the Gutenberg version of Wandering only includes 8 stories, rather than 11 as found in many sources.
b) Made the English translation for 在酒樓上 to be consistent as "In the Tavern".
c) Made the mention of 農民 and 知識分子 consistent in sequence and story examples.

Wandering or Pang Huang was Lu Xun's second collection of stories. It was published near the end of 1925 and included 11 stories written between 1924 and 1925. (Note: The Librivox reading is based on the Gutenberg version which includes only 8 stories, omitting “A Happy Family”, “Soap” and “Brothers”.) The title Lu Xun gave to the collection is Pang Huang, translated as Wandering, but literally means unsettled, agitated or restless. Lu Xun employed points of view in his stories in a way that was novel at the time for Chinese literature, helping readers consider new possibilities about the true nature of the reality around them. Some stories look at the problem of how members of the intellectual class are to live their lives, e.g. In the Tavern, Regret for the Past, whereas others are commentary on traditional customs and institutions, the specific dysfunctions of particular customs and institutions, and also at the general result in which people are discarded, e.g. The New Year Sacrifice and A Public Example.

《徬徨》是近代文學家魯迅創作的小說集,本版收集了《祝福》、《在酒樓上》、《傷逝》等8篇小說。作品表達了作者徹底的不妥協地反對封建主義的精神,是中國革命思想的鏡子。作品主要包括知識分子和農民兩類題材,前者以《在酒樓上》和《傷逝》為代表,後者以《祝福》和《示眾》為代表。整部小說集貫穿著對生活在封建勢力重壓下的農民及知識分子“哀其不幸,怒其不爭”的關懷,該小說集在深廣的歷史圖景中,對人物命運的敘述滲透著深濃的感情。

Story titles in English:
2. Regret for the Past
3. In the Tavern
4. The Misanthrope
5. A Public Example
6. Master Gao
7. Divorce

Tina Ding
Agreed.
Look forward to working on other projects in the future.
Cheers
Xiaoyan

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 10th, 2019, 9:18 am

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/wandering-by-xun-lu/