1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
irondog70

Post by irondog70 » April 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Hello,
Here is my 1 minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_irondog70.mp3
Thank you. :D
Cornel Nemes

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 16th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Hello there, welcome to LibriVox! I can't wait for you to begin recording! There is one thing that should be fixed first however.

Your volume is at 81.7 dbs, we need it 86-92 with 89 being preferred. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume. If you could amplify to this that would be great. Because it is a decent amplification, you may find an increase in background noise too and may want to clean that up.

What recording software are you using? If it is Audacity, I can give you step by step instructions on how to fix it. If not, I may be able to point you to a place to fix this. If you can figure this out on your own, please re upload and post in this thread and I'll take another listen!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

irondog70

Post by irondog70 » April 16th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions!

Here is the same file, amplified by 5dB with Audacity, the initial software used to record:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_irondog70d.mp3
I did checked the file on the Checker and it got the green. Of course I can have a higher volume on the input or on the way i speak, when I record.

Please, let me know if I need more fixes.

Thank you again,
Cornel :)
Cornel Nemes

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 17th, 2019, 6:47 am

irondog70 wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions!

Here is the same file, amplified by 5dB with Audacity, the initial software used to record:
I did checked the file on the Checker and it got the green. Of course I can have a higher volume on the input or on the way i speak, when I record.

Please, let me know if I need more fixes.

Thank you again,
Cornel :)
Nice work Cornel! It is much louder now. It is only at 86 right now (it is perfectly fine and within our limits, just 89 is our target volume), so please don't let it get quieter :D. Please don't strain your voice to talk louder, that is never a good thing :shock:. We don't want you to hurt yourself by talking too loud. As for increasing the input volume, that could be an option. Just be careful that you don't get too loud and cause clipping/distortion. I think it's always better to air on the side of caution.

I am going to ask you to do one more thing before recording, and that is to run a pass of noise reduction on it. I didn't expect to run into this problem, but amplifying made it much more noticeable than before :shock:. If you know how to fix that, you can ignore my instructions. Otherwise, here goes:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise.

One more try! Soo close, we can get this done quickly!
Campbell

irondog70

Post by irondog70 » April 17th, 2019, 9:31 am

Hi again,
I did a noise cleaning and an amp pass. I'm at 89.1dB now.
I didn't hear any much noise, in need of "eradication" :D , but after five years in artillery, my ears might not be the best to tell. Hahaha!
Please, let me know where I stand.
Merci beaucoup! 8-)
Cornel Nemes

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 17th, 2019, 9:48 am

irondog70 wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:31 am
Hi again,
I did a noise cleaning and an amp pass. I'm at 89.1dB now.
I didn't hear any much noise, in need of "eradication" :D , but after five years in artillery, my ears might not be the best to tell. Hahaha!
Please, let me know where I stand.
Merci beaucoup! 8-)
Nice work! You did great, and it is all OK now! You may record! As to not hearing the noise, there are a few reasons for that :D. One could be your ears, but there could be other reasons. This is a unique noise. It's something that I did not recognize as noise at the beginning, but when I started proof listening to more and helping with test recordings, I realized that you can get a better sound by cleaning it up :D. Also, I listen through headphones, which can highlight the noise a bit more. I did listen without it and heard it too, but less harshly. I mentioned it for two reasons: I did hear it both through headphones and without, and the Checker program did give me a warning about it (granted, I have it on 'strict' validation mode). But anyways, it's good now and nice work! See you around :D
Campbell

irondog70

Post by irondog70 » April 17th, 2019, 9:57 am

Thank you much!
I promise to purchase a better mic this week. I'll do my best to quiet the noise in future reads.
Hope to contribute with a positive print here! :D
Cornel Nemes

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

irondog70 wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:57 am
Thank you much!
I promise to purchase a better mic this week. I'll do my best to quiet the noise in future reads.
Hope to contribute with a positive print here! :D
I am sure you will contribute immensely! There would be no harm in waiting to get a better mic if you wanted to ensure that you liked this, this mic works fine for our purposes! But if you want a better mic, there's nothing stopping you :D. See you around!
Campbell