COMPLETE Book of American Explorers by T.W.Higginson - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5404
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » June 30th, 2019, 6:39 am

silverquill wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I have Section 75 ready to send in, but I'm not sure if you want the intro as it is in the MW, or the longer title as it is in the text. I have both recorded, so I'll just snip the other one it is is ready to upload.
Let's go with the longer title this time. Thank you!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

silverquill
Posts: 10000
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » July 2nd, 2019, 8:29 pm

Kikisaulite wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 6:39 am
silverquill wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I have Section 75 ready to send in, but I'm not sure if you want the intro as it is in the MW, or the longer title as it is in the text. I have both recorded, so I'll just snip the other one it is is ready to upload.
Let's go with the longer title this time. Thank you!
Very good. Here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_75_higginson_128kb.mp3 14:02

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5404
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 3rd, 2019, 12:58 am

Thank you!
Now one more file to go and I have to decide which one exploration book to launch next... from a long long list of candidates. So stay tuned! :wink:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

lubee930
Posts: 4524
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 3rd, 2019, 3:21 pm

Excellent, Larry--thank you!

Section 75: PL OK
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5404
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 4th, 2019, 6:07 am

Thank you, Lucretia!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

Horner94
Posts: 558
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Hello,

Please review my audio recording for Section 66:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 09:19

I would like feedback on audio quality and the pronunciation of some of the names of the individuals mentioned in this Section.

I look forward to hearing back from you.


Kind regards,
Chad

lubee930
Posts: 4524
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 8th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Horner94 wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Hello,
Please review my audio recording for Section 66:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 09:19
I would like feedback on audio quality and the pronunciation of some of the names of the individuals mentioned in this Section.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Hi Chad--Thanks for the file. Just FYI, the volume is on the upper edge of our acceptable level at 91.8 dB, but it passes. I do have some notes for you. This section did have some unfamiliar names in it, for sure!

--At ~0:26 in the Intro, it should be “Book Thirteen, Part Four”
--At ~2:46 repeat “families were sent thither—thither”
--A few somewhat lengthy pauses that could be shortened so that the recording flows more smoothly—just highlight and delete a bit of those silences. For example, at ~3:10, ~3:23, ~3:31. Listen to those sentences and you will notice the pauses.
--At ~4:03 repeat “The ship—The ship which has returned--<long pause>--The ship which has returned home this month…”
--More lengthy pauses around some of the names, like at ~4:58 and ~5:03—can be easily snipped out to shorten.
--At ~5:12 you made several unedited tries at the name “Jan Huyck”, so that all needs to be cleaned up. (I have heard the last name pronounced like the word “HIKE” if you want to use that pronunciation.)
--At ~5:27 again several unedited attempts at “…read to the commonalty…”
--At ~5:43 several unedited attempts at the name “Francois Molemaecker”. I actually found a recording of this name at a website called “Hear Dutch Here”. There are many, many names on this site, but—surprise!--one very short .mp3 file contains this particular name--the fifth name pronounced is “Francois Molemaecker”. You can listen to the file here: https://www.heardutchhere.net/OldNewYork/RobertJuet.MP3
--At ~6:13 repeat “…and then a tower to is—and then a tower is to be erected…”
--And more unedited attempts at names/pauses/repeats.

I’ve come to the conclusion that you may have accidentally given me a raw unedited file. I think, Chad, that I’ll just stop here rather than continuing to the end of the file. I’ll let you do the editing and then upload a clean file for me. The recording should be ready to go before you upload it for proof-listening.

As far as the names, you can often find pronunciations if you Google the names--sometimes even a YouTube video with a pronunciation. Or I sometimes consult these two websites (but there are many others as well):
Forvo here: https://forvo.com/
Howjsay here: https://howjsay.com/

Also, some of the names in this book are Indian tribes or Indian names as written by these very early explorers, so you may have to give it your best guess on some of them. I’m sure it will be good enough.

So post the link for the edited file when you get it completed along with the new track length--and I'll listen to the whole thing. Let us know if you have questions--we'll try to help! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Horner94
Posts: 558
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 13th, 2019, 1:21 am

lubee930 wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 11:21 pm
Horner94 wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Hello,
Please review my audio recording for Section 66:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 09:19
I would like feedback on audio quality and the pronunciation of some of the names of the individuals mentioned in this Section.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Hi Chad--Thanks for the file. Just FYI, the volume is on the upper edge of our acceptable level at 91.8 dB, but it passes. I do have some notes for you. This section did have some unfamiliar names in it, for sure!

--At ~0:26 in the Intro, it should be “Book Thirteen, Part Four”
--At ~2:46 repeat “families were sent thither—thither”
--A few somewhat lengthy pauses that could be shortened so that the recording flows more smoothly—just highlight and delete a bit of those silences. For example, at ~3:10, ~3:23, ~3:31. Listen to those sentences and you will notice the pauses.
--At ~4:03 repeat “The ship—The ship which has returned--<long pause>--The ship which has returned home this month…”
--More lengthy pauses around some of the names, like at ~4:58 and ~5:03—can be easily snipped out to shorten.
--At ~5:12 you made several unedited tries at the name “Jan Huyck”, so that all needs to be cleaned up. (I have heard the last name pronounced like the word “HIKE” if you want to use that pronunciation.)
--At ~5:27 again several unedited attempts at “…read to the commonalty…”
--At ~5:43 several unedited attempts at the name “Francois Molemaecker”. I actually found a recording of this name at a website called “Hear Dutch Here”. There are many, many names on this site, but—surprise!--one very short .mp3 file contains this particular name--the fifth name pronounced is “Francois Molemaecker”. You can listen to the file here: https://www.heardutchhere.net/OldNewYork/RobertJuet.MP3
--At ~6:13 repeat “…and then a tower to is—and then a tower is to be erected…”
--And more unedited attempts at names/pauses/repeats.

I’ve come to the conclusion that you may have accidentally given me a raw unedited file. I think, Chad, that I’ll just stop here rather than continuing to the end of the file. I’ll let you do the editing and then upload a clean file for me. The recording should be ready to go before you upload it for proof-listening.

As far as the names, you can often find pronunciations if you Google the names--sometimes even a YouTube video with a pronunciation. Or I sometimes consult these two websites (but there are many others as well):
Forvo here: https://forvo.com/
Howjsay here: https://howjsay.com/

Also, some of the names in this book are Indian tribes or Indian names as written by these very early explorers, so you may have to give it your best guess on some of them. I’m sure it will be good enough.

So post the link for the edited file when you get it completed along with the new track length--and I'll listen to the whole thing. Let us know if you have questions--we'll try to help! :)
Thank you for your feedback, I have attempted to amend this audio recording, which is hopefully now ready for PLing:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:15

If there are any more concerns, please do not hesitate to notify me and I will make any necessary changes.

Kind regards,
Chad

lubee930
Posts: 4524
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 13th, 2019, 8:24 am

Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 1:21 am
Thank you for your feedback, I have attempted to amend this audio recording, which is hopefully now ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:15
If there are any more concerns, please do not hesitate to notify me and I will make any necessary changes.
Kind regards,
Chad
Nice job, Chad! Boy, some of those explorers met a very sad end. Just one small editing error to correct:

--At ~6:18 the portion in red is omitted from the recording "Commander Krieckebeck went up with them a mile from the fort, and met the Maquaes, who peppered them so bravely with a discharge of arrows, that they were forced to fly, leaving many slain, among whom were the commander and three of his men.

Post the link here again along with new track length, and I'll take a final look. Thank you!
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5404
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 13th, 2019, 10:05 am

Thank you, Chad and Lucretia!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

Horner94
Posts: 558
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 13th, 2019, 10:22 am

lubee930 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:24 am
Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 1:21 am
Thank you for your feedback, I have attempted to amend this audio recording, which is hopefully now ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:15
If there are any more concerns, please do not hesitate to notify me and I will make any necessary changes.
Kind regards,
Chad
Nice job, Chad! Boy, some of those explorers met a very sad end. Just one small editing error to correct:

--At ~6:18 the portion in red is omitted from the recording "Commander Krieckebeck went up with them a mile from the fort, and met the Maquaes, who peppered them so bravely with a discharge of arrows, that they were forced to fly, leaving many slain, among whom were the commander and three of his men.

Post the link here again along with new track length, and I'll take a final look. Thank you!
Thanks very much for your feedback!

Below is the amended version of my audio recording of Section 66:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:27

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,
Chad

lubee930
Posts: 4524
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 13th, 2019, 11:00 am

Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:22 am
lubee930 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:24 am
Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 1:21 am
Thank you for your feedback, I have attempted to amend this audio recording, which is hopefully now ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:15
If there are any more concerns, please do not hesitate to notify me and I will make any necessary changes.
Kind regards,
Chad
Nice job, Chad! Boy, some of those explorers met a very sad end. Just one small editing error to correct:
--At ~6:18 the portion in red is omitted from the recording "Commander Krieckebeck went up with them a mile from the fort, and met the Maquaes, who peppered them so bravely with a discharge of arrows, that they were forced to fly, leaving many slain, among whom were the commander and three of his men.
Post the link here again along with new track length, and I'll take a final look. Thank you!
Thanks very much for your feedback!
Below is the amended version of my audio recording of Section 66:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:27
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Thank you, Chad! :thumbs:

Section 66: PL OK

And I think that we are complete on this very interesting project! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Horner94
Posts: 558
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 13th, 2019, 11:06 am

lubee930 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 11:00 am
Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 10:22 am
lubee930 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:24 am

Nice job, Chad! Boy, some of those explorers met a very sad end. Just one small editing error to correct:
--At ~6:18 the portion in red is omitted from the recording "Commander Krieckebeck went up with them a mile from the fort, and met the Maquaes, who peppered them so bravely with a discharge of arrows, that they were forced to fly, leaving many slain, among whom were the commander and three of his men.
Post the link here again along with new track length, and I'll take a final look. Thank you!
Thanks very much for your feedback!
Below is the amended version of my audio recording of Section 66:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/bookofamericanexplorers_66_higginson_128kb.mp3 Time: 07:27
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad
Thank you, Chad! :thumbs:

Section 66: PL OK

And I think that we are complete on this very interesting project! :)
Great!
One small thing, don't know if it really matters, but the duration of my audio recording is 07:27, not 06:50.
Many thanks,
Chad

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5404
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 9:48 am
Location: Riga, Latvia.

Post by Kikisaulite » July 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: Done we are!
Beginning the cataloging process now! :9:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

lubee930
Posts: 4524
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Post by lubee930 » July 13th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Horner94 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 11:06 am
Great!
One small thing, don't know if it really matters, but the duration of my audio recording is 07:27, not 06:50.
Many thanks,
Chad
Yes--I think that the 6:50 was a different section. We've got the time on Section 66 at 7:27, so all good! :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia

Post Reply