1 minute Test by Toshika Lata

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
toshikalata11

Post by toshikalata11 » March 9th, 2019, 8:40 am

Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test.mp3

Audacity 2.1.0
OS-windows 10
Microphone-analog

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 10th, 2019, 10:57 am

Hi, welcome! You have such a sweet voice, very nice to listen to! Unfortunately before you can record for real projects, there are a few things we need to work out.

The first is the volume. Your volume is currently 70.4 dbs, we require 86-92 with 89 being preferred. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume. To fix this, I would recommend increasing the microphone slider in Audacity so that it records at a higher volume. To fix this one,
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter 18.6 in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you into the required volume range.

The second issue is the fact that your recording is in stereo, and we need it in mono. To fix this:
1. Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. At the bottom of the screen, select 'Force to Mono'

Once you do these things, please re upload with the same file name, post in this same thread, and I will take another listen!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Listeners wanted: Treatise on American Football
Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

toshikalata11

Post by toshikalata11 » March 16th, 2019, 5:40 am

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 16th, 2019, 6:09 am

Thank you for re uploading! I took another look; while your volume and mono settings were correct, a few new problems did seem to emerge this time :hmm:.

The first is your background noise. It is quite high now that you have amplified this. To fix this,
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: I've used anywhere from 10-20, for you 12 should suffice, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 6.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. When playing with your test, I found that I had to do this twice in order to remove the background noise.

The second issue is your bit rate. We require a bit rate of constant 128k kbps, yours is variable 98 kbps. To fix this:
1.Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. Look under the Format Options section
3.Where it says 'Bit Rate Mode', select 'Constant'
4. In the 'Quality' drop down menu select 128 kbps.

Don't be discouraged, we will get this eventually! And the nice thing is, for settings such as the mono and bit rate ones, once you use those Audacity should remember them and you should never have to worry about them again. The noise and volume are things you will have to remember to check, however.

Ok, one more try? I think we can get this.
Campbell

toshikalata11

Post by toshikalata11 » March 16th, 2019, 11:00 pm

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » March 17th, 2019, 6:30 am

Ok, so the bit rate is fixed and there is no noise, but your voice now sounds really muffled. This probably means something went wrong with the noise reduction. When I tried two rounds of noise reduction on your test, your voice still had it's lovely round tones. Looking at what could have gone wrong, there are a few things: in step 1 did you make sure to select a portion that is ONLY noise? If you selected a portion with your voice in it it will think that your voice is noise too. In step 3 did you use the numbers I provided? They worked pretty well for me. If you don't think you made either of these mistakes, maybe try again and just make sure to pay close attention to the details of the steps. We are almost there :D
Campbell