Test recording

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Mark8018

Post by Mark8018 » February 25th, 2019, 9:31 am

Hello, here is a test recording of Ted Hughes 'The thought fox' https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/thethoughtfox.mp3
This was recording on a USB Olympus LS11 and edited with Audacity on Windows. First time doing this, so hope that
this is alright and that I shall become familiar with the how the forum works. I am sure that I could use a better
microphone but look forward to your feedback.

All the best, Mark8018.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » February 25th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Hi Mark!

Welcome to Librivox!

Well you got all your technical settings correct, the only little issue is your volume is a bit low - we have a target range (86–92 dB) and yours is 82.7 dB. So that means in Audacity you need to go into Effect and Amplify until you get to the middle which we aim for which is 89 dB.

From listening to your selection, you have a nice deep voice! I would also run the Compresser functionality (Effect - Compresser) using the default settings - that will get rid of that high noise at the beginning of your recording and then if you run your Amplify after that for 5 dB it will then work.

That is it! SO if you can do those two things and then export the file and post it back to this message by Responding to it I will have another listen!

Have a great day!

Lynda

Mark8018

Post by Mark8018 » March 10th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Dear Lynda,

Here is the poem with the suggested changes. Yes, it comes alive and sounds much better, thank you and I also edited the start and finish.
I hope that the volume is alright as I could not see how to achieve the 89 db in the amplify window. This is adjusted to sound about right but
I am new to Audacity, so shall explore further.

Hope that all is well with you. I can hear areas that need to be improved but hope that it is a reasonable test.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/thethoughtfox-new.mp3

All the best,

Mark.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 11th, 2019, 10:14 am

Hi Mark -

Well, that new recording is good however it is a bit too loud. In being so loud it also has a lot of background noise so both of those are causing the recording to fail the checker process. The good news is that all your technical settings are still okay!

I was very easily able to fix your recording though and able to get it to pass.

Here is what I did in Audacity -

1. Highlight the recording
2. Go to Effect menu item and pick Compressor - the settings I used are -15db, -45db, 7:1, 0:20 secs, 1.0 secs. and no checks in the boxes.
3. Select OK.
4. Now go to Effect menu item and pick Noise Reduction (the whole recording should still be highlighted) and select the button at the top Get Noise Profile. That will look at your recording.
5. Now go to Effect menu item and Noise Reduction and with the following settings 8, 3.00, 6 and Reduce select OK.
6. Now Export your recording and run it through the Checker program if you have it installed.

If not, then just upload it and paste the link in here and I will check it.

What we basically did was compress your recording, which also reduces the volume and then reduce the noise. Usually when we do that we need to also increase the volume afterwards, however as we started off with a high volume, you ended up with a volume of 88.3 dB (where we aim for 89dB in the range of 86-92dB).

So give that a try and lets see what happens!

Lynda

Mark8018

Post by Mark8018 » March 25th, 2019, 6:03 am

Dear Lynda,

Thankyou for the required changes information. I have altered the recording and posted it below. Excuse me for not getting back sooner but I am between jobs and there is a lot going on at the moment. Keen to see what is available to record and where this leads to.

Many Thanks and all the best,

Mark.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/thethoughtfox.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 26th, 2019, 9:55 am

Hi Mark! That recording passes! Way to go!

Now you can jump into the Librivox forums and pick some chapters of a book to read that suits your fancy!

Lynda

Mark8018

Post by Mark8018 » April 3rd, 2019, 2:10 am

Thanks Lynda,

How exciting and shall see what is available to read......

All the best, Mark.