COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chuck, here's some work for you. The stage directions for Judas' Church:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/atsaintjudas_stagedirections_fuller.mp3
Recording time: 8:37 min.

Quite a tragic ending. I'm not sure whether the play is now condemning the homosexual love of the best man, or whether it's condemning the narrowmindedness of the world towards it. In any case, I didn't like the ending for the best man. :(

The animated windows were wonderful to read 8-) I am curious how they are doing that on stage, probably with filmclips rather than with real life people. But in the early days they may have had actors doing that too.

A cool play !

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim The Vivacious Girl in ‘The Grandmother’?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read Gros-Rene?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all. MW updated.

Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 10:54 am Chuck, here's some work for you. The stage directions for Judas' Church:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/atsaintjudas_stagedirections_fuller.mp3
Recording time: 8:37 min.

Quite a tragic ending. I'm not sure whether the play is now condemning the homosexual love of the best man, or whether it's condemning the narrowmindedness of the world towards it. In any case, I didn't like the ending for the best man. :(

The animated windows were wonderful to read 8-) I am curious how they are doing that on stage, probably with filmclips rather than with real life people. But in the early days they may have had actors doing that too.

A cool play !

Sonia
I suspect it's a little of column A and a little of column B. The author, Henry Blake Fuller, was a gay man who would write more affirming (and less tragic) portrayals of LGBT characters in other works (most notably Bertram Cope's Year, which we already have in the LV catalogue if you're interested). But even so, this one act isn't as forward-thinking as we might like and exhibits what could be perceived as internalized homophobia. It's definitely a complex piece though and probably the standout from this collection.

I'm also not certain if this was ever meant to be staged -- I can't imagine how one would manipulate all of those windows!

I'll PL this tonight. Thanks again, Sonia!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: February 20th, 2019, 12:59 pmI suspect it's a little of column A and a little of column B. The author, Henry Blake Fuller, was a gay man who would write more affirming (and less tragic) portrayals of LGBT characters in other works (most notably Bertram Cope's Year, which we already have in the LV catalogue if you're interested). But even so, this one act isn't as forward-thinking as we might like and exhibits what could be perceived as internalized homophobia. It's definitely a complex piece though and probably the standout from this collection.
hmm well if he was gay himself he would probably not portray it as bad... but he is definitely playing on the "aspect of sin" that the world was seeing it back then. It's complex indeed.
I'm also not certain if this was ever meant to be staged -- I can't imagine how one would manipulate all of those windows!
well today it's definitely easy with filmclips. And in the early days, yes, maybe it was too risqué to ever be staged. Would be interesting to find out if it ever hit the stage.

Sonia
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

ToddHW wrote: February 19th, 2019, 7:51 pm Thank you.

Todd
Here is Gorgibus.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/flyingdoctor_gorgibus_moliere.mp3
In Scene X, there is a line "Dev- ...deuce take me" I have no idea what Dev means (I looked online and could find nothing), or if it was just a note, not meant to be said. I went ahead and recorded it, but if it was not meant to be said - feel free to just edit it out!
Thanks -
Aaron
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Gros-Rene's first line in scene 3 ends with an &c sign, viz:

Gr.-Re. Why the deuce do you think of giving your daughter in marriage to an old man? Don't you see that it is the longing she has for a young one that makes her ill? See the attraction there is, &c. [1]

and the following footnote:

FOOTNOTES
[1] The actor seems in this place to have been left to add any nonsense that came into his head. The MS. has "… &c. (galimatias)."

Do you want me to invent a line? What else would you like?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Todd
Here is Gorgibus.
In Scene X, there is a line "Dev- ...deuce take me" I have no idea what Dev means (I looked online and could find nothing), or if it was just a note, not meant to be said. I went ahead and recorded it, but if it was not meant to be said - feel free to just edit it out!
Thanks -
Aaron
Without having read the play yet and having zero context, my first guess would be that maybe he started to say "Devil take me," then changed his mind and used "deuce" instead as a euphemism.

EDIT: So far, I'm here lurking, but I've been looking at a few plays I'm considering for this collection. Once I decide on one, I'll then look at any roles that may still be open.
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Without having read the play yet and having zero context, my first guess would be that maybe he started to say "Devil take me," then changed his mind and used "deuce" instead as a euphemism.

Gosh darn it - you are right! Sheesh. I uploaded a better sounding version of the line - with the same file name.

Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Gosh darn it - you are right! Sheesh. I uploaded a better sounding version of the line - with the same file name.

Thanks!
Haha happy to be of service! :lol:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Thanks!
Thank you - and using the same file name is correct. That way the file name already in the MW will point to the latest version for when I start to edit. (The previous version gets renamed in my folder in case I need to ever get back to it.)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm
aaronwhite1977 wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Todd
Here is Gorgibus.
Thanks -
Aaron

EDIT: So far, I'm here lurking, but I've been looking at a few plays I'm considering for this collection. Once I decide on one, I'll then look at any roles that may still be open.
I think your suggest of meaning is exactly correct. Thank you.

Good luck deciding on a play to suggest. You could ask for inputs in the other related topic.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

alanmapstone wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:58 pm Gros-Rene's first line in scene 3 ends with an &c sign, viz:

Gr.-Re. Why the deuce do you think of giving your daughter in marriage to an old man? Don't you see that it is the longing she has for a young one that makes her ill? See the attraction there is, &c. [1]

and the following footnote:

FOOTNOTES
[1] The actor seems in this place to have been left to add any nonsense that came into his head. The MS. has "… &c. (galimatias)."

Do you want me to invent a line? What else would you like?
Safest thing to do is just cut short and use only the words that are actually given. Otherwise there is the possibility of inadvertently copying some not PD words used in some recent production of the play.

(I had been thinking that much might have been done visually here, not spoken.)

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 1:06 pm
ChuckW wrote: February 20th, 2019, 12:59 pmI suspect it's a little of column A and a little of column B. The author, Henry Blake Fuller, was a gay man who would write more affirming (and less tragic) portrayals of LGBT characters in other works (most notably Bertram Cope's Year, which we already have in the LV catalogue if you're interested). But even so, this one act isn't as forward-thinking as we might like and exhibits what could be perceived as internalized homophobia. It's definitely a complex piece though and probably the standout from this collection.
hmm well if he was gay himself he would probably not portray it as bad... but he is definitely playing on the "aspect of sin" that the world was seeing it back then. It's complex indeed.
well today it's definitely easy with filmclips. And in the early days, yes, maybe it was too risqué to ever be staged. Would be interesting to find out if it ever hit the stage.

Sonia
Well, it could be internalized homophobia, but it could also be the only way he could make this play palatable for audiences at the time. I kinda want to do more research on Fuller, just to make sure. (I've been mulling over the idea of reading one of his books as a solo project.)

Your narration is spot on, by the way... and PL OK! Thanks again!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)