COMPLETE[SOLO] The Life of Thomas, Lord Cochrane: Completing the "Autobiography of a seaman". Vol2-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

barbara2 wrote: July 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Timothy Ferguson wrote: July 24th, 2019, 4:50 am You have the speed of the cheetah, and the patience of the owl...

Thanks so much.
Love your blog. (elfstroke?!?)

Best,

Barbara
Oh, thanks!

Elfstroke is a medieval term for what we now call just "stroke". Sudden, inexplicable paralysis was believed to be caused by the cursed arrows of the little people. 8)
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Timothy Ferguson

Monthly checkin: I will return to this soon. Apologies.
Timothy Ferguson

Ch4:
25:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_04_bourne_128kb.mp3

When you're listening could you keep an ear out for a mistake I was making, which I think I've fixed? I was pronouncing "Spetzas" as "Spetznas". (Cochrane is using and archaic spelling here: it's called "Spetses" now in English. Either way, the Spetznas are the Russian equivalent of the Marines. 8)

Thanks!
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 10th, 2019, 6:27 am Ch4:
25:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_04_bourne_128kb.mp3

When you're listening could you keep an ear out for a mistake I was making, which I think I've fixed? I was pronouncing "Spetzas" as "Spetznas". (Cochrane is using and archaic spelling here: it's called "Spetses" now in English. Either way, the Spetznas are the Russian equivalent of the Marines. 8)

Thanks!
The Spetzas were all in order. Just a repeat at 10:24 of "but he was attended by". Wikipedia tells me that this was the last major naval battle in history to be fought entirely with sailing ships.

Best,

Barbara

PS: It's raining!
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 1:21 am PS: It's raining!
Here too, which is great because we've had some bushfires in the hinterland nearby. Which bit of Oz are you in Barbara? I'm sorry if you've already told me: my memory is a bit flaky at times.

Reloaded as
23:13
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:09 am
barbara2 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 1:21 am PS: It's raining!
Here too, which is great because we've had some bushfires in the hinterland nearby. Which bit of Oz are you in Barbara? I'm sorry if you've already told me: my memory is a bit flaky at times.

Reloaded as
23:13
PL OK! I live in the Moreton Bay Area. Just. 15 minutes walk outside of Brisbane.

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

Timothy Ferguson

In a surprising twist, I was home sick on Friday, and so I managed to get quite a bit done.

Chapter 6:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lifeofthomaslordcochrane2_06_bourne_128kb.mp3
40:43

This brings us to the end of Cochrane's military career, aside from brief stint in Jamaica. Hopefully that means I'll have fewer Greek names to fall over.

The odd thing is that the source document uses Grosse and Gosse interchangeably for one guy. I've tried to follow what it says on the page. In hindsight that might have been a mistake, but the policy is read "as is", so...
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 2:20 pm
PL OK! I live in the Moreton Bay Area. Just. 15 minutes walk outside of Brisbane.

Best,

Barbara
I'm in Nerang, which is the rural bit on the western edge of the Gold Coast. I was in no danger during the fires, but one of my co-workers had fires within a kilometre of her house, and she couch surfed for a few days. She was one of the lucky ones: the containment line in front of her little village basically held, so her house was not touched. SCary for her though, and she has medical issues that are easier for her to handle with various machines that can't be put in a go bag.

That's a lovely part of the world. My father in law lives up that way, near Bli Bli Castle.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Out of curiosity, I did a word count on one of Cochrane's sentences - 150 words - but, wouldn't the captain have been dictating his official letters? He had a way with words but, didn't the Navy provide a Captain's Clerk to polish the dictation into a fair copy? Just wondering who to blame.

PL note: at 1:54 missing words:
"on the plea that they had no more than was needed for their lemon-gardens."

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 26th, 2019, 6:17 am

I'm in Nerang, which is the rural bit on the western edge of the Gold Coast. I was in no danger during the fires, but one of my co-workers had fires within a kilometre of her house, and she couch surfed for a few days. She was one of the lucky ones: the containment line in front of her little village basically held, so her house was not touched. SCary for her though, and she has medical issues that are easier for her to handle with various machines that can't be put in a go bag.

That's a lovely part of the world. My father in law lives up that way, near Bli Bli Castle.
The Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Hinterlands are beautiful and you must enjoy living in a rural bit. I'm in an urban outer outer suburb, I guess, Tom Petrie country:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71617

Best,

Barbara
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: October 27th, 2019, 12:16 am
Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:46 pm
Out of curiosity, I did a word count on one of Cochrane's sentences - 150 words - but, wouldn't the captain have been dictating his official letters? He had a way with words but, didn't the Navy provide a Captain's Clerk to polish the dictation into a fair copy? Just wondering who to blame.

PL note: at 1:54 missing words:
"on the plea that they had no more than was needed for their lemon-gardens."

Best,

Barbara
Cochrane did have a clerk at some point: when he retired he had him act as amanuensis on his autobiography. I think that was William Jackson, whose only other book I know about is a catalogue of abuse heaped on him by people from the poorer parts of London - a sort of dictionary of slang. The actual hard graft of putting the first volumes together was by George Earp, who had done some writing for other naval guys before this. He also did a couple of books about how to go gold prospecting in Australia, which he'd done with a couple of friends when he was a younger man.

In his Greek adventures Cochrane didn't have a clerk - he was down to 6 seamen on his flagship at one point, with no servants. Doctor Gosse basically did his secretarial work as commisary, when Cochrane wasn't sending people huge, elaborate letters in a mixture of English and French. Those are in the appendix of the volume we are on, and they might take me a while. 8)

This pair of books was prepared for Cochrane's son by Richard Fox Bourne. In this book he hyphenates his surname, which tricks Hulu and Archive, but it's the same guy who was an early naval historian and a really determined member of various anti-slavery societies.
Timothy Ferguson

barbara2 wrote: October 27th, 2019, 12:24 am
Timothy Ferguson wrote: October 26th, 2019, 6:17 am

The Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast Hinterlands are beautiful and you must enjoy living in a rural bit. I'm in an urban outer outer suburb, I guess, Tom Petrie country:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71617

Best,

Barbara

Oh, nice! I'll listen to that this week.

I did a touristy one for us, too. It's by Queensland Rail, from 1914. They wanted to get tourists to go on rail journeys to what's now called Southport.

https://librivox.org/tours-in-the-south-coast-district-by-queensland-railways/

(My goodness - I did that eight years ago! I'm shocked...)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Eek! My computer began to sizzle and smoke. I'm offline till the new one arrives. B.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

The new computer arrived today. Still setting it up (which is making my head hurt) but I haven't forgotten Lord Cochrane.

Best,

Barbara