COMPLETE[PLAY]The Benefit of the Doubt by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:58 amAnd Act 1 is ready for final PL as well. It did fit within one file. Barely.
phew, yes I see...let's hope I find nothing to add ;) well I think I need a break now after Part 2 of Act 2. Probably will listen to it tomorrow or maybe this evening
I tried to make the split in the act in a place where there was a reasonably smooth break in the action so as not to create an artificial cliff hanger or where someone might have trouble following action across the break.
yes it was a good place to break :thumbs:

The ending is highly dramatic too. I love to hear it all assembled. The tensions between the different people are so palpable through the acting. Guys: you're all brilliant !!!

A few notes on cutting for your consideration here too, Todd:

> at 4:54: Claude, waking: What is it ?

> at 5:08: Claude stupidly: Where is aunt ?

> at 13:41: Olive, steadily, in a low hard voice: Why, nothing can arise…

> at 17:18: “the lady has arrived, Sir” – not sure if you can correct this but in the word “arrived” (at the letter ‘v’) there is a highly stringent sound that hurt my ears a lot. One could try to cut this from the word if possible

> at 18:42: “You find me here with my wife——!” – “Sir, you had a wife round the corner” – I think Mrs Cloys should cut off Allingham more abruptly here, so I would cut the pause shorter

> at 18:56: calmly, amiably: We do understand each other

> at 23:03: “you mustn’t be allowed to——“ – “Arranged! patched up!” – also here, better shorten the pause a bit

> at 43:19: “Allowed—what ? – I see Mrs Cloys only says “allowed” once, so you can cut out the first if you wish. Even though, it sounds quite good like this as well, so one could also leave it in, your choice :)

Sonia
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

Here's Act 3, :oops: :shock: This accent ....oy

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/benefitofthedoubt_alexander-fraser_3_128kb.mp3

It's 8.47
thanks for your patience. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 6:24 am Here's Act 3, :oops: :shock: This accent ....oy
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/benefitofthedoubt_alexander-fraser_3_128kb.mp3
ok I had a bit of time to PL this directly, since it's the final file missing...

I love the accent 8-) and the raspy voice. I only hope you were not doing too much damage on your vocal chords with this performance. It's great that you were able to keep the dialect up for the whole performance. :thumbs: excellent job. Fraser is so bitter in this act, but he's wonderfully portrayed. He had quite his moments.

This is immediately PL ok. There's only one spot:

> at 2:22: “Repentance” – this is at the wrong spot and can be cut here, as it's repeated again later on. You only forgot to delete it here.

But since this is the only error, no need to reupload. I'll make a note for Todd in the MW, he can simply ignore that one. Easily done. Also careful with the volume, it's under 85 again. ;) But no worries, it will get adjusted in editing.

Excellent job, Robin !!! Hope to hear you soon in another play. After this there will be a new Pinero, if you are hooked :mrgreen:

Todd: Act 3 can also be finalized !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 assembled; need to groom and then it'll be ready for PL.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And Act 3 is ready for Final PL.

I think you should all be very proud of your work in this play. Very powerful!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:58 amAnd Act 1 is ready for final PL as well. It did fit within one file. Barely.
and I found two small things that would benefit from being cut :mrgreen:

Wow I just listened to all of Act 1 and it sounds great. I know I sound terribly nasty now but I totally enjoyed the scene where Mrs Cloys is verbally sparring with Sir Fletcher and Mrs Emptage :mrgreen: they didn't stand a chance :lol:

But everybody was great in their roles and it didn't seem at all overly long to me, time flies when you're enjoying yourself. :9:

Ok, now the two suggestions I had for cutting:

> at 33:12: Mrs Cloys to sir Fletcher: "Be quiet" - Sir F. was babbling along and Mrs C. interrupts - it's totally obvious she would interrupt him, so this intro is not needed

> at 42:38: Mrs Emptage under her breath: "Indiscreet" - Leanne conveys this well so it can be cut as well :)

The rest I think is fine, you already cut some directions and I think they were well chosen. :thumbs:

An awesome feat at editing this time !

Now I leave Act 3 for tomorrow, I'm tired now.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I left your double "Allowed?" in place but made all the other Act 1/Act 2 cuts you suggested.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:29 pm I left your double "Allowed?" in place but made all the other Act 1/Act 2 cuts you suggested.
excellent patches and I can confirm Acts 1 and 2 PL ok now.

Act 3 will follow first thing tomorrow. By the time you wake up, you can archive this beauty. :9: (or Spot-correct and then archive ;) )

good night for now

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Good night.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here we are, Act 3 is a wonderfully dramatic ending with the whole family gathered for the showdown. :thumbs: Wonderful dialogues here too, everybody sounds so perfect and memorable in their roles :9:

A few more cutting suggestions for you Todd. I really think some dialogues would benefit from the faster pace and since our voice there express it perfectly, I noted the following for your consideration:

> at 13:25: Sir Fletcher Portwood, annoyed: “Harriet--!”
> at 24:58: Theophila, irritably: “Oh, I am not going to appear quite a wreck before Mrs. Allingham”
> at 25:15: Fraser, sarcastically: “You must not forget to thank Mrs. Allingham”
> at 25:26: Theophila, indignantly: “Ah, it was shameful of aunt”
> at 28:35: Olive, rigidly: “Of Mrs Fraser?”
> at 28:38: Mrs Cloys, politely: “Of Mrs Fraser.”
> at 34:56: Theophila faintly almost inaudibly: “It would be of no use”
> at 47:45: Mrs Emptage in a flutter: “I know, I know”
> at 51:46: Olive falteringly: “But your—your scheme owes”
> at 53:20: Mrs Cloys indignantly: “How dare you !”
> at 53:26: checking herself: “Well”
> at 55:50: Mrs Emptage in a whisper: “mind you see that we visit you”

The rest is perfect as always. :9: This can get archived today !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am making all the Act 3 cuts you suggest.

Except for the
at 53:26: checking herself: “Well”
I feel that this being one of the few times that you control yourself (or rather, that Mrs Cloys controls herself), the audience needs warning of this momentous event, which will likely have a strong visual component. Leastwise that is what my inner Portwood suggests....

EDIT: Act 3 ready for Spot PL

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:34 amI feel that this being one of the few times that you control yourself (or rather, that Mrs Cloys controls herself), the audience needs warning of this momentous event
I BEG your pardon, Fletcher, what on earth do you MEAN ? Whenever was I NOT in control of myself ? I am Serenity herself, so much so that Harmony should be my middle name :evil: ....The bishop agrees with me on this point, so it must be true. Now sit down and don't talk nonsense....

(my final moment of Mrs Cloys, so I tried to make the most of it :mrgreen: )
EDIT: Act 3 ready for Spot PL
aaaand Spot PL ok. Another great Pinero in the catalogue. :9: It was a delight listening to all this. Big round of applause to the whole team. :clap:

and see you all in the next one 8-)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. All audio files may be found in out catalog at: https://librivox.org/the-benefit-of-the-doubt-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Thank you all so much!

More Pinero on the way.

Todd