1 Minute Test (Thanks in Advance!)

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
mpetermann

Post by mpetermann » January 13th, 2019, 4:00 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_melissajane.mp3

Recorded in Audacity on Windows with a USB mic.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » Yesterday, 12:30 am

Hi Melissa! Welcome to LibriVox! :D

I can already tell by listening to your test that you're going to be a great addition to our team! Your tech settings are all fine. I can already say that this test gets an OK!

I do have a couple of nitpicky suggestions, if you want to improve the sound quality of your recordings, but it's more or less optional. First, you have a slight amount of background noise, so I think you'd benefit from noise cleaning. It's super easy in Audacity. How to: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics The level of noise you've got isn't awful (mine is way worse; noise cleaning is NOT optional for me!), but it only takes a few seconds and gives a really nice result.

Second, I heard a small amount of air noise in the microphone around consonant sounds like p, f, th (plosives). To minimize that, adjust the position of your mic a bit. You don't want to speak directly into it, but sort of "past" it. If it's a desktop mic, placing it slightly to one side should help. If it's a headset, position the mouthpiece either up by your nose or down near your chin. The goal is not to let those little puffs of air you blow out during speech enter the mic.

Overall, really nice job, and I look forward to seeing you around the boards! I see you've already found your first project to read for, which is awesome. Have fun! :thumbs:

mpetermann

Post by mpetermann » Yesterday, 6:46 pm

Hey!

Thank you SOOOO much for these comments. I'm actually glad you're nit-picking.. That's what I was hoping for. Those seem fairly easy to address, so I'm stoked to get started. Bless you!

:thumbs: