Spotlight on non-English language recordings

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 6th, 2018, 10:43 am

Hi guys,

For the new year, id like to highlight recordings in diverse languages. We are steadily increasing the number of books/projects in other languages, our community of volunteers recording in a language other than English, and the number of listeners for these books also seem to increase, though that is difficult to measure reliably. Lets highlight what we have added to the catalogue in 2018!

Id like to write a post for our blog on the homepage, with one or two books in each language in which we have added recordings last year, with a small blurb or recommendation in the language of the recording.

Can you help me?
This is what i need you to do.
- pick a book catalogued in 2018 in a language other than English.
- write a small recommendation for the book in the language of that book. 3-4 lines is enough! You can use the monthly staff picks as an example.
- post in this thread or send it to me via pm.

Id love it if we could get one project for each language in which we have added books to the catalogue in 2018. I dont know yet how we will address languages in which we receive multiple recommendations, but i suppose we can solve that issue together.

Thank you :D
Carolin

We are looking for dedicated proof listeners for these projects!

Leni

Post by Leni » December 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Great idea! I have picked a Portuguese project. Do you want the recommendation just in Portuguese or also in English though?
Leni
=================

DPL needed for Machiavelli! :help:
Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 10th, 2018, 12:15 am

In portuguese please - the recommendation is intended for a potential listener, so that seemed most logical to me.

I will probably write in English something like, "leni is recommending a mystery in portuguese: (text)"; "carolin is recommending a book of poetry in german: (text)" etc. :)
Carolin

Leni

Post by Leni » December 10th, 2018, 6:26 am

Awesome! Here it is:

https://librivox.org/contos-by-jose-maria-de-eca-de-queiros/, cataloged on Feb 13th 2018

Os Contos de Eça de Queirós são uma recolha póstuma de algumas das melhores narrativas curtas do autor português, mais conhecido talvez por seus romances. Ainda assim, seus contos, publicados em revistas e jornais, são alguns dos melhores da língua portuguesa. Vários deles foram e são ainda hoje usados em escolas, vestibulares e concursos, traduzidos para outras línguas e adaptados para outros meios, o que demonstra a sua vitalidade e importância.
Leni
=================

DPL needed for Machiavelli! :help:
Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » December 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm

1. What is the deadline? EDIT: The end of December, I understand?
2. I understand entries in collections are excluded?
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » December 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Piotrek81 wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm
... 2. I understand entries in collections are excluded?
I would think that collections are OK so long as they are in the same language and it's not English, which means that entries in such collections are OK. :wink:

ETA: ... unless you were querying about highlighting individual entries. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 11th, 2018, 7:02 am

thank you all!

deadline is 31st of december, but the earlier you submit the better :)

i would prefer it if there was no recommendation of one poem in a certain language in the multilingual collection or anything like that - unless it is the only recording in that language this year. i dont want to make a ton of rules for this thing so if you want to recommend an item in a collection, go ahead.
Carolin

Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur » Yesterday, 9:41 am

Carolin,

A very nice idea!.

I think there has been some 36 audiobooks published by librivox in Spanish in 2018.
Some of them are real Spanish classics and some of them are also translations into Spanish of classics in other languages.
The readers, coordinators are doing wonders.

I think I would recommend one classic work, formed by short pieces. It is the "Rimas" by Gustavo Adolfo Becquer. There are other more classical or essential works in Spanish published this year, but short audios and in poetry are more easily attractive both to Spanish speaking and/or Spanish-language lovers, in my opinion.

Others might suggest other works in Spanish.

This would be my proposal for a text about it (adapted from the original text proposed by the reader KendalRigans):

Las "Rimas" de Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer son parte de sus obras más conocidas y halagadas. En ellas encontramos referencias sobre todo al amor, y también a otros sentimientos. Las "Rimas" fueron publicadas después del fallecimiento de Bécquer a la temprana edad de 34 años, como recopilación de sus poesias, dispersas en parte hasta entonces, en homenaje suyo. Son poesías románticas clásicas imprescindibles, llenas todavía hoy de gran frescor.