[SOLO] Colloquia Familiaria by Desiderius Erasmus-icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » March 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Actually, I did find a bunch of mistakes, but not yours! There a lot of typos in the text! That's OK, it didn't make too much of a difference.

I will listen as I can, I'm not in a hurry, and I will let you know if there is anything there. I know they were PL OK at one point, then Felipe decided to make his changes. I will let you know.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » March 18th, 2019, 9:06 am

icequeen wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Actually, I did find a bunch of mistakes, but not yours! There a lot of typos in the text! That's OK, it didn't make too much of a difference.

I will listen as I can, I'm not in a hurry, and I will let you know if there is anything there. I know they were PL OK at one point, then Felipe decided to make his changes. I will let you know.
AH yes, I found some and corrected them as I saw them. Should have mentioned that.
Leni
=================

Come read about flowers and plants in Pliny's Natural History! :D

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 13th, 2020, 9:50 pm

New Year's Resolution: to finish this project!

Here is section 8:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/colloquiafamiliaria_08_erasmus_128kb.mp3
09:23
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 14th, 2020, 8:27 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention: the original source has gone out (it was housed at stoa.org), and also the scan I was using from the German National Library was not available last night. So I am just going to read from an archive.org 1892 edition. I think it is safer. :? I changed the source on the first post to reflect that.

I might be too ambitious, but I would like to have this done before July. :mrgreen:
Leni
=================

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 14th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Section 8 is PL OK!

Well, if you get this one done by July, that would be quite a feat! This one has been around so long, I am not worried about it. I still need to listen to the first 7 sections as well. I have had section 1 downloaded for a few months.
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 17th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Section 1 is PL OK!
Ann

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I am glad to know! I was thinking the other day I might have to record the first sections again...
Leni
=================

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm

There was a missing "est" around the 10 minute mark, plus an extra "responsum" or two, which were there in the other text source. Nothing too terrible. The only thing was the two footnotes that are not in this text, but in the other. I didn't note the times, but if you want to take them out, I can do that. Otherwise, it was definitely fine, just like they were to begin with.
Ann

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » January 23rd, 2020, 9:27 pm

I am fine with letting them be, then.

Sections 10 and 13 are ready and in the window! It started raining when I was finishing section 13, let me know if it sounds too loud, I can re-record if needed. Section 11 is huge, which is why I skipped to 13, but will do it next.
Leni
=================

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 25th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Sections 2, 10 and 13 are PL OK!
Ann

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Section 14 is in the window!
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 9th, 2020, 8:32 pm

And section 17 is done too.
Leni
=================

williambottazzini

Post by williambottazzini » February 12th, 2020, 9:51 am

Leni, my name is William, I am from Brazil too and, first of all, I must confess I am a big fan of yours. You've been doing a great job recording Erasmus' "Colloquia".

There is just one thing I'd like to point out. Listening to the chapter "Formulae", I noticed that you had said "áffinis" instead of "affínis" - the "i", and not the "a" is stressed in this Latin word.

I am a Latin teacher and translator and I only wanted you to know that if there's something I can do to help you to accomplish this wonderful, but huge task, please let me know.

Best regards,

William

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » February 12th, 2020, 1:23 pm

williambottazzini wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:51 am
Leni, my name is William, I am from Brazil too and, first of all, I must confess I am a big fan of yours. You've been doing a great job recording Erasmus' "Colloquia".

There is just one thing I'd like to point out. Listening to the chapter "Formulae", I noticed that you had said "áffinis" instead of "affínis" - the "i", and not the "a" is stressed in this Latin word.

I am a Latin teacher and translator and I only wanted you to know that if there's something I can do to help you to accomplish this wonderful, but huge task, please let me know.

Best regards,

William

Dear William,

Thank you for your message. We ask people not to download and listen to sections of projects when they are not completed, because those are not stored on archive.org, but on Librivox servers, which cannot handle a lot of traffic.

But since you offered to help, yes, there is one way you could help: by recording! This project was started many years ago by another reader, who dropped the task with only a few sections done, as you can see from the window on the first post. Since then, I always found it a pity to have it just sitting there lingering. But I understand why it was dropped in the first place, it is a huge undertaking. Some of these sections, like the preface, will run for over 30min, which means that they will, at least in my speed of reading, looking up doubts on the dictionary, recording and editing, about 5 hours of solid work. One of the main problems I run into, and that makes these sections much harder, is exactly the point of getting all the stressed syllables right. I usually go through the trouble of checking all the words I have doubts about on Lewis and Short, fully knowing though that some will slip away, when I think I know them but I don't, which is obviously the case with affinis. I will fix this one, since now I know it is wrong, but your comment has been a hard blow on my already shaken confidence that I will be able to put out a decently usable product, because I do know how annoying it is to listen to something with the accents on the wrong syllables. It seems to me now that all the hours of work and care I am putting into these are absolutely wasted, because I know I will miss some stresses and people will judge me harshly for it. In the time it takes me to record one of these I can easily record three sections of a project in English or in Portuguese. So, I would be more than happy to relinquish the project to anyone able to make a better job of it. If you wish to record some sections, it would be absolutely great.

All the best,
Leni
=================

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » February 14th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Section 3 is PL OK!

Section 14 needs one tiny edit and then it will be perfect.

At 19:15, there is a stumble that needs to be snipped out.

I just want to add my thoughts on the comments made above. I am having to go back and listen to the original readers sections again because he had made changes to his recordings after I had given my OK on them. That is another story for another time, but what I am trying to say is that there is a vast difference between the original reader and Leni. Leni's Latin sounds much more "real," much more conversation than the first few sections. She is doing a fantastic job, and if she has committed the sin of pronouncing one word just a little bit wrong, well, I can live with that sin. The PL'ing level is Standard, which means that I am supposed to just listen to the flow of the recording. The mispronunciation of one word is not going make this recording of a language, which is not used outside of The Vatican and academia, not usable or enjoyable. If you would like to help, please let me know which sections you would like to record. I recommend taking section 11, which is a very long section. That would help lighten the load on Leni, because this project is quite onerous.

OK, back to normal programming.
Ann