[ADOPTED] History Of Egypt (1900) by Murison, R. G. & History Of Egypt (1890) by Wendel, F. C. H. [Egyptology]

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » November 9th, 2018, 6:18 pm

PREFACE

Since there are no available works dealing with the History of Ancient Egypt –except Maspero's monumental voluminous work, still to be completed– I would like to suggest 2 short reads providing a brief examination of the subject.

Details

∙ Title: History Of Egypt
∙ Author/Editor: Murison, Ross G. (????–????)
∙ Publisher: T&T Clark
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: 1900

Description

A brief study examining the history of Ancient Egypt from the "Mythical Dynasties" to the conquest of Alexander the Great. (Chapters 02–10)
Chapter 01 examines several aspects, such as Climate, Vegetation, Inundation, etc.
Chapters 11 to 14 deal accordingly with: Religion, The Book of the Dead, The People and their Life and Science and Art.
Chapter 15 provides a short narrative of the history of egypt from the Graeco-Roman Period to the British Occupation in 1882.

Readability Information

104 pages, divided into 15 short chapters, each one divided into numerous subchapters and subsections. No Preface. 1 chart in text displaying alphabet signs and their enunciation. 1 illegible (in terms of structure) Comparative Chronological Table at the end.
Total (Chronological Table excluded): 104 Pages

(Suitable for Novice/Solo Readers)

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length.)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
∙ 4/5: Quite Readable
5/5: Exceedingly Readable ←

Links

https://archive.org/details/historyofegypt00muri/page/n1
Last edited by LectorRecitator on December 5th, 2018, 9:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
«ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ»/"the unexamined life is not worth living"

(Plato, Apology: 38a. Translated by H. N. Fowler)

LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » November 29th, 2018, 9:17 am

Details

∙ Title: History Of Egypt
∙ Author/Editor: Wendel, Frederick C. H. (1850–????)
∙ Publisher: D. Appleton & Company
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: 1890

Description

A brief study examining the history of Ancient Egypt from the Early Dynastic Period tο the conquest of Alexander the Great.

"In presenting to the public this little book, which treats of the history of ancient Egypt from the earliest times to the conquest by Alexander the Great, my object has been twofold : First, to give to American readers a brief account of Egyptian history which would be as reliable as the present state of Egyptological science permits ; and, second, to create a deeper interest in the study of ancient Egypt."

(From Preface)

Readability Information

152 pages, divided into 10 brief chapters each one divided accordingly into numerous subchapters and subsections, plus 2 pages of Preface and 1 page of a Chronological Table. 5 Maps included out of text.
Total: 155 Pages

(Suitable for Novice/Solo Readers)

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length.)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
∙ 4/5: Quite Readable
5/5: Exceedingly Readable ←

Links

https://archive.org/details/historyofegypt00wendrich/page/n5

https://archive.org/details/historyegypt01wendgoog/page/n6
Last edited by LectorRecitator on December 5th, 2018, 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
«ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ»/"the unexamined life is not worth living"

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » November 30th, 2018, 4:35 pm

I agree, this looks very readable!

My Hitler book is fully claimed and almost fully recorded, so I'll launch this one this weekend! Thanks for looking up history stuff!

(I also had a look at the world history book you suggested, and I'll have a think about that one, but Egyptian history interests me more at the moment so I'll do this one first.)

LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » November 30th, 2018, 5:55 pm

You are welcome.
Last edited by LectorRecitator on December 18th, 2018, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » December 1st, 2018, 3:32 pm

Project is here, if you were interested in reading for it or PLing any of it!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72727

(Also, I haven't been able to find much about the author - if you had a link for his birth and death dates, that would help our catalogue!)

LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator » December 1st, 2018, 7:27 pm

According to the following source he was born in 1850

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Frederick_C._H._Wendel

I have no information concerning his date of death.