[COMPLETE] - Travels in New Zealand by Ernest Dieffenbach - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm pretty safe from bush fire and flood where I live, and earthquakes, blizzards and tornadoes, not to mention volcanoes, landslides, though we did have a minor willy willy run up the next street flattening a row of cypress trees and taking the slates off a house roof and dropping them on my son and his friends in a pool :D many years ago
I watched a fascinating TV show about the N E coast of NZ the other day - volcano and all ,

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

The second part of Chapter XX is uploaded for listening. More weather tables...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_27_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
17:28.1, 89.3 dB

Cheers, and thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

27 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Chapter XXI is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_28_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
14:45.4, 88.8 dB

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

28 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hello -

Chapter 22 (Section 29) is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_29_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
22:15.0, 89.7

Not a lot of happiness here in Christchurch today.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

29 PL OK.

Hard to find words that express one's feelings.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Chapter 23 (Section 30) has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_30_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
23:13.7, 89.4 dB

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

23 PL OK.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Part 1 of Chapter 24 (Section 31) is uploaded for listening.

It ends a bit abruptly but I decided to stop there because the next bit is a long section on the thermal features of Lake Taupo. I've never been there (have you?) so don't know if they are the same now or not.

Thanks for listening.

At https://www.stuff.co.nz/, the image that is up there now (Sunday, 13:29 NZ time) is of a young man in a wheelchair and a blurry woman in the background. Those are the remaining family of my granddaughter's close friend who is a Syrian refugee. They are strong people who have been through so much. It's too close to home.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We need a worldwide think tank on why these - usually males - get to feel that acting like this is a good idea. And achieves anything, Us are better than them seems to be a human characteristic, and I suppose it's tied up with the desire to belong to a tribe where you are valued and all have a common enemy.
And then how we can divert these traits into non-violent competition
And stop the press reports that give them the publicity they crave

Of course we'd finish up with a rotten army :D

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm We need a worldwide think tank on why these - usually males - get to feel that acting like this is a good idea. And achieves anything, Us are better than them seems to be a human characteristic, and I suppose it's tied up with the desire to belong to a tribe where you are valued and all have a common enemy.
And then how we can divert these traits into non-violent competition
And stop the press reports that give them the publicity they crave

Of course we'd finish up with a rotten army :D

Anne
Here in NZ there seems to be a tacit agreement - or perhaps it is explicit and I missed that part - that the person who did this horrible thing does not get named. Perhaps in Australia too?

I'm all for having a rotten army!
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

31 PL OK

We missed visiting Taupo. We didn't realize there were geysers on the north island until we were in Iceland and saw graphics comparing US, NZ and Icelandic geysers. Yet another reason to visit NZ again. I think that it is very special that the Maori are not troubled by issues of cultural appropriation when others do the haka. Here everyone becomes Irish on St Patrick's weekend. No matter what your religion, nationality or skin color we all wear green, drink Guinness (well beer at least) and act very silly.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes here too - but Irish people set off explosives in truckloads of bottles in crowded areas to kill and maim as many civilians as possible. So believing that it is any particular race/religion who does these things is somewhat ostrich-like. And he has been named here, and the people in the town he was raised asked questions.

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

The second part of Chapter 24 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/travelsinnewzealand1_32_dieffenbach_128kb.mp3
24:46.6, 88.4 dB

Yes, Maori at times are not pleased at all with the cultural appropriation when others do the haka. I think it is strongly context dependent, however, and don't quite understand the nuances.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art