COMPLETE: The Tale of Reddy Woodpecker by Arthur Scott Bailey -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

silverquill wrote: September 1st, 2018, 6:32 pm
Thanks! Still hoping for a DPL.
Once again, great reading Foon! :D

Chapter 20 - PL OK!

Chapter 21 - 1:25 - The text reads: "I didn't come here to be abused!", I hear "I didn't come here to be accused!" Everything else sounds fine!
Foon

Post by Foon »

jenniferrd wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 3:50 am
Chapter 21 - 1:25 - The text reads: "I didn't come here to be abused!", I hear "I didn't come here to be accused!" Everything else sounds fine!
Thanks Jennifer!

I personally hear "abused"--might be my accent? Do you want me to re-record the line?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Foon wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 3:53 am
Thanks Jennifer!

I personally hear "abused"--might be my accent? Do you want me to re-record the line?
I'll have my husband listen to that as well, and we'll let him decide, if that works for you? :D :D It may be your accent, but this is the first one that I've listened to you that would have happened - I've your accent!
julilloyd

Post by julilloyd »

Just sampled the recording.....

So, make these changes and upload it again under the same name along with the file length, and it will be ready for a full proof listen -- as soon as we get a DPL on board....
Great! I’ll make the corrections ASAP.

Juli
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

jenniferrd wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 3:57 am
Foon wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 3:53 am
Thanks Jennifer!

I'll have my husband listen to that as well, and we'll let him decide, if that works for you? :D :D It may be your accent, but this is the first one that I've listened to you that would have happened - I've your accent!
I just had him listen without telling him what he was listening for and asking him what you said, and he heard accused as well. I would say go ahead and rerecord that line, does that sound okay? :idea: If it helps try saying the "bu" sound in the word "beautiful", so it would be a"beau"sed. We were trying to come up with a bu sound in a regular word and that is the only one I can come up with besides buick, and I'm not sure you would know that one for sure, and beautiful, even though it's not spelled the same, sounds the same. English is weird! :?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Yeah sure, that's fine! I'll try my best making it sound clearer ... when the construction workers next door take a break, that is :?

Readers needed:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 22 - PL OK!
Chapter 23 - PL OK!
Chapter 24 - PL OK!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

jenniferrd wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 5:58 am Chapter 22 - PL OK!
Chapter 23 - PL OK!
Chapter 24 - PL OK!
Larry, I didn't know if it was all right for me to add those to the magic window, so I didn't.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Readers needed:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Foon wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:46 am Jennifer,
I uploaded a new version--is this better?
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/reddywoodpecker_21_bailey_128kb.mp3
Yes! That sounds perfect!

Chapter 21 - Spot PL - OK!
Last edited by jenniferrd on September 3rd, 2018, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenniferrd wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am
Chapter 23 - PL OK!
Chapter 24 - PL OK!
Larry, I didn't know if it was all right for me to add those to the magic window, so I didn't.
Well, general I like to put the links in the MW as the BC, but I don't mind if the DPL gets to it first. That said, it is good practice to listen only to the link in the MW. This is to make sure that the link that is actually there works and points to the right file. It's rare, but things can go wrong in the process of putting things in the MW

I read your notes on Foon's recording. It is kind of borderline, and one of those things I'd usually let pass under "standard PL" criteria. I usually don't follow the text, and check it only if there is something that jumps out at me as wrong. People differ on this, and some do follow the text, at least loosely to make sure something is not left out. Poetry is one example where following the text closely, even for standard PL is a good idea because so much is dependent on word choice -- rhyme, meter, etc.

But, you're doing fine, and I'm grateful to have you on board. :clap:

(If you want to read some, I'll PL for your :) )
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Nedge wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 2:53 am I would like sections 4, 5, and 6 please.

Thank you,

Nan
They are all yours!
Thanks.
~ Larry
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

silverquill wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 8:21 am
jenniferrd wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am
Chapter 23 - PL OK!
Chapter 24 - PL OK!
Well, general I like to put the links in the MW as the BC, but I don't mind if the DPL gets to it first. That said, it is good practice to listen only to the link in the MW. This is to make sure that the link that is actually there works and points to the right file. It's rare, but things can go wrong in the process of putting things in the MW

I read your notes on Foon's recording. It is kind of borderline, and one of those things I'd usually let pass under "standard PL" criteria. I usually don't follow the text, and check it only if there is something that jumps out at me as wrong. People differ on this, and some do follow the text, at least loosely to make sure something is not left out. Poetry is one example where following the text closely, even for standard PL is a good idea because so much is dependent on word choice -- rhyme, meter, etc.

But, you're doing fine, and I'm grateful to have you on board. :clap:

(If you want to read some, I'll PL for your :) )
I tend to follow to the text loosely and only mention something when it changes the meaning of the text, in which this one would have even though it was just an accent difference - abused and accused are quite different, and in the context of the text would have been confusing to the listener. :) Does that make sense? If it's just a pronunciation difference or if the meaning is the same but a different word or a different order of words are used, I don't say anything, or I may mention it but leave it up to the reader to decide if they would like to correct if it's much different. I certainly will differ to you, though, as the book coordinator if you think that's too much. OH! I would love to read, but I have so little recording time and a solo I'm trying to concentrate when I can record, so I'll have to decline for right now.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Yep, you're just fine.
I don't try to second-guess my proof listeners, so call them as you hear them!

We'll get along just fine. :D
~ Larry