[Kids] The Chinese Kitten by Edna Adelaide Brown - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
larryhayes7
Posts: 214
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 9:49 am
Location: Johnson City, TN

Post by larryhayes7 » January 13th, 2019, 7:42 am

Chapter 11

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:56
So sorry I was not even aware that I had this edit still waiting back from September, it was an easy fix.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14844
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » January 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm

larryhayes7 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:42 am
Chapter 11

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:56
So sorry I was not even aware that I had this edit still waiting back from September, it was an easy fix.
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 13th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Lynnet wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm
larryhayes7 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:42 am
Chapter 11

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:56
So sorry I was not even aware that I had this edit still waiting back from September, it was an easy fix.
Thank you
All the same issues are present, did you upload the old file? :(

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14844
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » January 13th, 2019, 3:57 pm

jenniferrd wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Lynnet wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm
larryhayes7 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:42 am
Chapter 11

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:56
So sorry I was not even aware that I had this edit still waiting back from September, it was an easy fix.
Thank you
All the same issues are present, did you upload the old file? :(
Jennifer, I've just noticed Larry uploaded to Ann's folder... have amended the MW. I can reclaim it later.
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 13th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Lynnet wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:57 pm
jenniferrd wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Lynnet wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 3:24 pm


Thank you
All the same issues are present, did you upload the old file? :(
Jennifer, I've just noticed Larry uploaded to Ann's folder... have amended the MW. I can reclaim it later.
Ahh! That was it, it's now Spot PL OK!

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Tivia wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Hey there,

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_12_brown_128kb.mp3

File Duration - 13:28

Thanks

Chapter 12 - PL OK! Congratulations on your first chapter! :thumbs:

Hi Tivia! You have a really wonderful reading voice! I did have to ask you if you're using your real voice for the characters or if you're using pitch control on those or someone else read? It sounded a little "off" on them, and I suggest using your natural, lovely voice if you are modifying them, because you have such a nice, natural voice and I think you could pull off character voices. Also, in the future, watch your noise reduction, it file sounds a little squashed and that happens sometimes when you've used a lot of noise reduction or compression. Best to try to record as quietly as possible and not modify too much. Other than that, I enjoyed your chapter, very nicely done. :clap:

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 13th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Lushnam wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:15 am
I finished a draft of section 10, ready for prooflistening.

Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_10_brown_128kb.mp3

File duration - 15:00

Thanks!
Chapter 10 - PL OK!
Hi Lushman! Great job on your very first chapter!! Nicely done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm

jenniferrd wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Tivia wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Hey there,

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_12_brown_128kb.mp3

File Duration - 13:28

Thanks

Chapter 12 - PL OK! Congratulations on your first chapter! :thumbs:

Hi Tivia! You have a really wonderful reading voice! I did have to ask you if you're using your real voice for the characters or if you're using pitch control on those or someone else read? It sounded a little "off" on them, and I suggest using your natural, lovely voice if you are modifying them, because you have such a nice, natural voice and I think you could pull off character voices. Also, in the future, watch your noise reduction, it file sounds a little squashed and that happens sometimes when you've used a lot of noise reduction or compression. Best to try to record as quietly as possible and not modify too much. Other than that, I enjoyed your chapter, very nicely done. :clap:
Had to amend this, not to "record as quietly as possible," but rather to record in as quiet of an area as possible!!

Tivia
Posts: 13
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Post by Tivia » January 14th, 2019, 9:37 am

Hey there,

Wow! Thanks a lot Jennifer for the encouraging words! :D Every character voice was my own, no modifying/pitch control was done. When you mention that the character voices sounded a little "off", would you please elaborate? Please feel free to be completely honest with your elaboration. For instance, do you think that the character voices were over acted/over done, or the character voices I chose were not befitting of the characters in the story, or they just simply were not done well? Whatever your thoughts please do let me know. Also, you mention that the file sounded a little squashed, did you or someone else have to edit the file to fix that issue? When I read that part of your message, I was like, "oh nooooo I messed up the sound quality", since I really wanted the sound quality to be near perfect.

Much appreciated, thanks!

jenniferrd
Posts: 648
Joined: April 22nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

Post by jenniferrd » January 14th, 2019, 10:33 am

Tivia wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:37 am
Hey there,

Wow! Thanks a lot Jennifer for the encouraging words! :D Every character voice was my own, no modifying/pitch control was done. When you mention that the character voices sounded a little "off", would you please elaborate? Please feel free to be completely honest with your elaboration. For instance, do you think that the character voices were over acted/over done, or the character voices I chose were not befitting of the characters in the story, or they just simply were not done well? Whatever your thoughts please do let me know. Also, you mention that the file sounded a little squashed, did you or someone else have to edit the file to fix that issue? When I read that part of your message, I was like, "oh nooooo I messed up the sound quality", since I really wanted the sound quality to be near perfect.

Much appreciated, thanks!

I'm going to change my words then, because that's quite amazing that those are your natural voices! I noticed on the girls, the sound was much louder than the rest of the recording and the mother seemed much quieter. I can't give an opinion if they are overacted - because I don't think that as a DPL that I can make that determination, that's entirely subjective and beyond what we do here :) . I mentioned it because of the difference in volume and overall sound quality from one to another character. Your "narrator" speaking voice is so nice to listen to, it's what I strive to and fail miserably at, you have a very natural cadence to your voice.

On the squashed note, often when noise reduction is run multiple times to get rid of background noises, etc., the quality of the overall file tends to sound a little over-processed and tinny. Yours passed, but just on this side of sounding that way. It can happen also when you use normalize or compression on the file (or any number of other effects used). You can absolutely use these (I do), and you'll just have to find a pleasing balance between what sounds too much and just enough, and that just comes with time and something to be mindful of when recording your next piece (believe me, it is a process and we're all learning). There are posts in the forum that you can read over to get guidance from them. And again, it's a bit subjective. Some people like it less processed and don't mind some background noise, and there are others that want less noise. That said, an over processed file can be unpleasant to listen to as highs and lows can be lost in the natural speaking voice. Hope this helps! You have one under your belt now, I hope you'll go and take more!!

Lushnam
Posts: 98
Joined: December 13th, 2008, 12:32 am
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Post by Lushnam » January 14th, 2019, 5:49 pm

jenniferrd wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Lushnam wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 12:15 am
I finished a draft of section 10, ready for prooflistening.

Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_10_brown_128kb.mp3

File duration - 15:00

Thanks!
Chapter 10 - PL OK!
Hi Lushman! Great job on your very first chapter!! Nicely done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, Jennifer! :D I've been wanting to get started for about a ten or eleven years now. (Thank you all for helping me to get started!) It was fun to do, and I learned a fair amount of new things.

larryhayes7
Posts: 214
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 9:49 am
Location: Johnson City, TN

Post by larryhayes7 » January 14th, 2019, 6:19 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:59
Having a bad day here and sorry for uploading the wrong person before, please do not use that file that was sent to the icequeen. Never uploaded the wrong person before I must have been looking at my current read and switched the names.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14844
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » January 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm

larryhayes7 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 6:19 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_11_brown_128kb.mp3
10:59
Having a bad day here and sorry for uploading the wrong person before, please do not use that file that was sent to the icequeen. Never uploaded the wrong person before I must have been looking at my current read and switched the names.
Don’t worry about it, Larry. We all do it at times (and then feel like idiots :oops: )... but it makes very little difference at this stage; and later on, I can just go to Ann’s folder and move it to mine. But as you have uploaded it again, I will let her know she can delete the one in her folder.
Help us finish:

The Sword-Maker 16 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 23 sections remaining

Tivia
Posts: 13
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Post by Tivia » Yesterday, 10:03 am

jenniferrd wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 10:33 am
Tivia wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:37 am
Hey there,

Wow! Thanks a lot Jennifer for the encouraging words! :D Every character voice was my own, no modifying/pitch control was done. When you mention that the character voices sounded a little "off", would you please elaborate? Please feel free to be completely honest with your elaboration. For instance, do you think that the character voices were over acted/over done, or the character voices I chose were not befitting of the characters in the story, or they just simply were not done well? Whatever your thoughts please do let me know. Also, you mention that the file sounded a little squashed, did you or someone else have to edit the file to fix that issue? When I read that part of your message, I was like, "oh nooooo I messed up the sound quality", since I really wanted the sound quality to be near perfect.

Much appreciated, thanks!

I'm going to change my words then, because that's quite amazing that those are your natural voices! I noticed on the girls, the sound was much louder than the rest of the recording and the mother seemed much quieter. I can't give an opinion if they are overacted - because I don't think that as a DPL that I can make that determination, that's entirely subjective and beyond what we do here :) . I mentioned it because of the difference in volume and overall sound quality from one to another character. Your "narrator" speaking voice is so nice to listen to, it's what I strive to and fail miserably at, you have a very natural cadence to your voice.

On the squashed note, often when noise reduction is run multiple times to get rid of background noises, etc., the quality of the overall file tends to sound a little over-processed and tinny. Yours passed, but just on this side of sounding that way. It can happen also when you use normalize or compression on the file (or any number of other effects used). You can absolutely use these (I do), and you'll just have to find a pleasing balance between what sounds too much and just enough, and that just comes with time and something to be mindful of when recording your next piece (believe me, it is a process and we're all learning). There are posts in the forum that you can read over to get guidance from them. And again, it's a bit subjective. Some people like it less processed and don't mind some background noise, and there are others that want less noise. That said, an over processed file can be unpleasant to listen to as highs and lows can be lost in the natural speaking voice. Hope this helps! You have one under your belt now, I hope you'll go and take more!!
Hey there Jennifer,

Yes, it does help! I appreciate you for taking the time to fully respond and thanks for the kind words. Yes, I will definitely continue, I enjoyed myself immensely.

I've been reading some books on the voiceover world so to speak and a constant thread was to listen (audio books, TV commercials, films, radio commercials, etc) and mimic what you hear until you can form your own unique voice. There's an actor by the name of Tracey Leigh whose audio book narration I am in awe of, its phenomenal. I just tell myself I can do that, I just need moooooore practice, but I keep the faith that I will (you will too) reach her level of awesomeness one day.

Post Reply