Please Listen [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 12:27 am

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 5:06 am

Hello Twacker,

Welcome to LibriVox! Thanks for the test. :)

You will need to fix a couple of things about it.

Let me first say that it sounds good and the volume, while at the higher end of the allowed range, is acceptable, but don't go any higher.

The MP3 technical stuff needs your correction. First, your recording is in stereo, and we can't use stereo, we need MONO. If you use Audacity, you can simply "mix it down" (Tracks -> Mix -> Mix Stereo down to Mono). For the future recordings, if you use Audacity, set the number of channels in your recording device to 1 (Mono).

After you fix the number of channels, please export with 128 kbps, not 64 kbps.

Then upload and post a reply in this thread.

Just a couple fixes, and you're on your way! :)

P.S. Forgot to add, we use Checker to validate our files, please download and install it so you can check your files for validity before uploading.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 9:31 am

Thank you for your reply. I am working with GarageBand, which does not seem to be the norm here at Librivox. I am attempting to work on the fixes you suggested right now.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 10:32 am

I think there are folks here who do use GB (or did use it for at least a successful test). There is a need for you to update it, perhaps.

Audacity is known to work fine on a Mac...
tovarisch

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I switched over to Audacity, considering every tutorial seems to be targeted toward Audacity. I used Checker, like you suggested and I keep getting a warning about my volume. I am having trouble figuring out exactly how to fix that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_twacker_5.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 12:54 pm

T,

Your test sounds OK (just a bit loud). What do you use for a mic? The built-in one?

There are two ways to deal with the volume. First, there is a slider on the "Audacity Mixer Toolbar", the left one controls the gain (the right the output volume in your speakers). You can nudge it slightly to the left, that should reduce the mic gain and make your recording softer. Play with it.

The other way is to de-amplify. Select the entire track (Cmd+A), then do Effect -> Amplfiy... and enter a negative value. The amplification value is the difference between 89 (our target volume) and what Checker tells you.

In general, if your audio starts to go too close to the outside, you're in danger of "clipping", which distorts the sound and usually cannot be fixed afterwards. Also, you could try speaking softer a bit, like you did between seconds 12 and 15...

Does this give you an idea? Look forward to your next one (whether you decide to de-amplify or re-record). :)
tovarisch

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I tried both to deamplify and to rerecord, but both of them came back outside the range in Checker. I lowered the recording volume to .63 for the rerecord. Do they seem the same to you. Again thank you for your time.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_twacker_63recvol.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_twacker_negamp.mp3

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Oh, I forgot, I am using Blue Snowball as a mic.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 2:14 pm

T,

This one: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_twacker_5.mp3 , according to Checker, needed to be amplified by (89 - 93.5) = -4.5 dB. If I take that MP3, import into Audacity, amplify by minus four and a half, then export again, Checker claims that the resulting MP3 has volume of 88.4 dB (I suppose the inexactness is due to peculiarities of the calculation - it's not a straightforward measurement). But 88.4 is quite OK - it's in the range!

How do you manage to deamp it so much that it's 77.9? What value did you use? Well, use less. And with the other one, if 0.63 gives you 76.5 volume, move it up some! :)

Perhaps you find this a bit tedious... There is another method of measuring volume, right there in Audacity, but you need another plug-in for that. See this wiki page for more info.

Generally speaking, you need to set your level (what you had at 0.63 for one of the tests) while recording. Start recording, commence talking, then move it up and down until the waveform is reasonable. It should not be barely lifting off the line, and it should not clip either. Play with it. Perhaps 0.75 is a better value? Or 0.8? I don't know -- it depends on your mic and your distance and how loudly you speak. Then scratch that recording (as test) and start a new one with the gain at the chosen value.
tovarisch

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Yes, it is tedious.
This time I tried 2 different things.
First I moved the mic volume to 87, which I had tried earlier. I got the same message this time from Checker :(
Second, while keeping the volume at 87, I put my mouth right up against the mic pop filter. This seemed to do the trick.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_twacker_7mouthtomic.mp3
Thanks your awesome.
Terry

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Terry,

You are there! :clap:

Now, will you be able to keep it up for a longer (say, 40-minute) session? That's how long it takes to get a usable 30 minutes (an average chapter of a book)... That's not including the editing, which you'll get to do, of course. Eventually you are going to learn the intricacies of your equipment and software. Keep experimenting, you're only going to get better! Please look for "Instructional Videos" on our wiki, they are very useful.

Anyway, you are ready to read for real. :thumbs:

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK, and you go right ahead to our "Readers Wanted" forums and look for a group project to join.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Thanks again. Have a great day.

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 13th, 2018, 12:49 am

Do I need the OK in order to begin reading for actual projects?

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 13th, 2018, 5:07 am

Sorry, Terry. I guess I wasn't clear. No need to wait. Go right ahead. :thumbs:
tovarisch

Twacker

Post by Twacker » July 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

Great, thanks