Agatha Christie again..

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
michaelwy

Post by michaelwy » July 9th, 2018, 9:10 am

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Agatha_Mary_Clarissa_Christie

Accordig to this wiki list, a lot of new stories by Christie will fall into the public domain over the new year. Remind me again why there aren't any readings of Christie in here?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 9th, 2018, 9:42 am

Because she died within the last 50 years, and her estate is very...careful of her works. :roll:

The founder of LibriVox is Canadian. So the estate of Agatha Christie insists that we must follow Canadian copyright law with regard to Christie's works, even though the website is hosted and the servers are located in the US. Since we aren't going to spend money (if we had it) in a legal battle over it, we're complying.

So Christie's works will be available for us to record as of January 1, 2027, which is a full 50 calendar years after her death in 1976.
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late to Mend
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room
21st Century Policing recommendations: LINK

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » July 11th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Again, Agatha?

Tricia,

You’ve come up with the most elegantly succinct explanation of the Agatha Problem I’ve seen yet on the Forum. It’s not like you haven’t had a chance to perfect it over the years.:D May I suggest that you convert it into a sticky to put at the head of this topic? Seems like it would save some administrative time.

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 11th, 2018, 1:56 pm

There is an explanation in the stickied thread, "Some books that aren't in the public domain (and why)". I suppose we could put a separate stickied thread for Agatha, but I think we'd rather limit the number of stuck threads. *shrug*
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late to Mend
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room
21st Century Policing recommendations: LINK

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » July 11th, 2018, 8:45 pm

The problem is that it is in the public domain in the US, which should be the governing law for LibriVox, so it doesn't really fall into the category covered by that sticky. Though I can't be authoritative on this, not being a lawyer, I have a sneaky suspicion that the Christie estate doesn't have a legal leg to stand on here, but I agree that LibriVox can't hire a lawyer to contest it, so the question is moot. I still think that it's a something that could be handled most efficiently with a sticky, and your latest explanation would seem to fit the bill admirably. :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 11th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Anybody in the USA could record it and post it themselves to Archive or some other site. Personally , as the forum is open, I'd prefer we didn't give other rights holders any information that might give them ideas. We've got quite a few books not PD in Canada

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » July 12th, 2018, 9:02 am

TriciaG wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 1:56 pm
There is an explanation in the stickied thread, "Some books that aren't in the public domain (and why)". I suppose we could put a separate stickied thread for Agatha, but I think we'd rather limit the number of stuck threads. *shrug*
If we’re going to bury the Christie Conundrum in this thread, I suggest we change its title to “Some books that aren’t on LibriVox (and why)” in the interest of truth in advertising. :D

Winston