One minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tpace

Post by tpace » June 14th, 2018, 6:52 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tpace.mp3

Hello all,

I'm very new to recording of any kind, so any feedback would be appreciated! As suggested in the recording guide, I've uploaded the raw audio without any changes. In addition to any other issues, volume seems to be a problem. The Checker software measures it at only 82 dB. I've raised the recording level to the maximum in my computer's audio device settings, and I've set the 'recording value' in Audacity to the highest setting (if that's relevant). I think I'm speaking at a normal volume so any suggestions on what might be the issue? I recorded this test with just a simple work headset, so maybe that is a factor. I should hopefully have access to my library's Blue Yeti microphone moving forward or I may invest in another mic but I want to make sure I understand the recording and upload process first.

My setup:
Plantronics C520-M headset (usb)
Windows 10
Audacity 2.2.2

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 14th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Hi Tom!

It is awesome to have you here at Librivox! You have done an Excellent first recording! Congrats!

As you mentioned, the only issue is your volume. There are a bunch of reasons why your volume can be a bit low, mic, your voice, placement of the mic in relation to your face - all these are factors.

It is fairly easy to increase the volume of your recording once you understand some of the other tools in Audacity. Here is what you need to do to your recording (do not record again - just fix this recording) to get you up around 89dB which is our mid-point in the range of (86–92 dB) for volume.

When in Audacity, highlight your whole recording (you can use Ctrl - A if on a PC) and then go to Effect > Amplify. You will notice that there is a number of 10.x in there currently. You do not need to amplify that much, just change it to 7 (82 to 89 is 7 decibels) and then select OK.

Now export the file and run it through Checker which I see you already have used. You should get a pass!

Please then upload it and post the link here in this thread for me to see and that will be it!

You have done a great job at getting all the technical settings correct - no issues there for you!

Lynda

tpace

Post by tpace » June 15th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the feedback! I believe the volume is fixed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_tpace.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 15th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Tom -

That is an excellent recording now!

Well you already know about the Checker so there is nothing really more to instruct you on other that to approve you to go ahead and explore the Librivox forums and find a book chapter or two that you wish to record! If you want to start off on something easy I am coordinating a group recording right now of this book which you are welcome to sign up for a Chapter - they are fairly small and easy to record! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70613

Most of all have fun!

Lynda

tpace

Post by tpace » June 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Thanks, Lynda! I am happy to join the project. I’ll check out the page and choose a chapter.