1 minute test recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ceekay

Post by ceekay » June 11th, 2018, 1:09 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ceekay.mp3

Please check my test recording, I'd love to hear some feedback! :D

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 11th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Hi Kay -

Welcome to Librivox! Thanks so much for sending in a Test recording!

I have reviewed your recording and there are a couple of things you need to do to it so it can get a Pass. They are fairly easy - here they are -

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your volume was just a bit too high at 93.4 dB. To fix this, select your recording (Ctrl-A on a PC) and then go to Effect > Amplify and enter a - 4. We aim for 89dB which is the middle of the range.

Next, when Exporting the file to MP3, there are two items that need to be changed below where you enter the file name - The bit rate should be 128 kbps (drop down the list and pick the correct one) and the recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR) - pick the correct dot on the screen. The great news is that once these are chosen and a file is exported then they stay this way until changed again (which you will not need to do for Librivox reading).

Now, here is a tool called the Checker - install it. It will help you when you graduate to recording book chapters and let you know if there is anything incorrect prior to sending in your recording to the proof listener (which is what I am doing for you right now). https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Run your test recording through the Checker and hopefully you will get a Passed! Regardless of what happens please respond to this thread and upload and paste the link for your new test file here for me to look at please.

Good luck! If you have any questions please let me know!

Lynda

ceekay

Post by ceekay » June 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Hi... Thanks for your feedback. Here is the improved version of my test recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ceekay.mp3

I've changed the bit rate to 128 kbps and it is now constant instead of variable. Sorry for the error! :) Also, I decreased the volume and ran it through checker. The decibel level is now on 88.9 dB. I hope that's sufficient.

Anyways, I'm from a country where English in not the primarily spoken language, so please tell me if I got my pronunciation right. That'd be really helpful. :D

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 14th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Hi Kay -

Well you have passed! You are now ready to go record sections of books that you wish to record. I am actually doing a group recording of a book that has some small chapters in it - you could sign up for one of those if you wish - here is the link viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70613

As for your pronunciation, I have no problems with your English, you sound very good! That said, you are going to have to really watch what you record as some of the books as they are all prior to 1923 have some tricky English in them or some other languages like Latin and French. So before signing up for a Chapter make sure you look at the Chapter you are signing up for and that you are able to read all the words in the Chapter. I sometimes run into words that I cannot pronounce that are in English (and I am a native English speaker) so I often will just type into Google the word and then Pronunciation and there are many hard words actually recorded on the internet and how to pronounce them. Do not use Google Translate - it does not pronounce the words very well.

The only other comment is you read VERY fast. You can slow down a bit and enjoy what you are reading! Have fun!

Lynda