[SOLO] The Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 1st, 2018, 1:40 pm

The Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards (1703 - 1758).

As religion is the great business, for which we are created, and on which our happiness depends; and as religion consists in an intercourse between ourselves and our Maker; and so has its foundation in God's nature and ours, and in the relation that God and we stand in to each other; therefore a true knowledge of both must be needful in order to true religion. But the knowledge of ourselves consists chiefly in right apprehensions concerning those two chief faculties of our nature, the Understanding and Will. Both are very important: yet the science of the latter must be confessed to be of greatest moment; inasmuch as all virtue and religion have their seat more immediately in the will, consisting more especially in right acts and habits of this faculty. And the grand question about the Freedom of the Will, is the main point that belongs to the science of the Will. Therefore I say, the importance of this subject greatly demands the attention of Christians, and especially of Divines. ( From the preface)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=h54NAQAAMAAJ
    (Starts on page 53)
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Preface to The Freedom of the Will. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say: "The Freedom of the Will, by Jonathan Edwards. Preface."

For the second and all subsequent sections please use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number], section [number] of The Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If starting a new part, say:
      "[Part title]"
    • Say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Part [number], section [number]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Freedom of the Will, by Jonathan Edwards. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename freedomofthewill_##_edwards_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. freedomofthewill_01_edwards_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Jonathan Edwards
    Title: ## - <P>.<SS> - [Section title]
    Album: The Freedom of the Will

NOTE: ## is there recording number, <P> is the part numeral, and <SS> is the section numeral (e.g., 04 - I.IV - On the distinction on natural and moral Necessity and Inability)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Caspian on June 15th, 2018, 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 2nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

Well, you've got this all figured out! :lol: File naming scheme, intros, etc all thought out. Very nice! Some notes on that below.

This is set up.

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest, or change them as you think best. When the project goes to the catalog, it'll automatically put in the section number and a dash before whatever you put in as the section title (00 - Preface), so do not put those in the MW section title. The cataloging system automatically does the ID tags, so your scheme will be overwritten. There's no way to prevent this.

Perhaps what you could do is use Roman numerals? So you'd have:
00 - Preface
01 - I.I Concerning the Nature of the Will
02 - I.II Concerning whatever the next title is

Regarding the file name, I can set them all to be the regular naming scheme in case you make any typos, but that's not the scheme you have in mind. (freedomofthewill_<MW section number>_edwards_128kb.mp3) If you really want the naming scheme you have here, you can; you just have to make sure every letter is exactly in the right spot so that I don't have to correct anything. :)

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Holler if you have questions!
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 4th, 2018, 9:39 am

Thanks so much for setting this up!

I decided to take your advice and put Roman numerals into the section titles, as this will make getting the section numbers into the tags easier than the system I had proposed :).

The MW has been set up and I'll start recording in the next day or so. Looking forward to this project!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 5th, 2018, 5:08 am

Great! Moving to Going Solo. When you have a section or two ready, we can advertise for a DPL.

(FYI, you don't have to add word counts to solo projects. Group projects usually have them to show potential readers what they're signing up for. Of course, if it helps you to have word counts to know how long the next section is, that's OK too.) :)
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend

lomond

Post by lomond » June 6th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Greetings -

DPL reporting for duty if you still need one.

Lomond

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 7th, 2018, 4:02 am

Still do...until now. :) I've put you in. Thanks!

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 8th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Preface uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_00_edwards_128kb.mp3

I put it into the MW... let me know if posting a link here is helpful or unnecessary :).

Thanks!

lomond

Post by lomond » June 9th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Caspian wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 7:19 pm
Preface uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_00_edwards_128kb.mp3

I put it into the MW... let me know if posting a link here is helpful or unnecessary :).

Thanks!
Greetings -

I like having the link posted in the forum section as it easier for me to download than going to the MW.

As to the Preface, there are a few "technical" things that I noticed.

Time: 09:12 "I would not be understood, as asserting that every Divine" Around the word "asserting", there is a very short burst of loudness and background noise that sounds like an edit.

The recording itself had a number of volume spikes that drove the Audacity playback meter into the red. There was no audio distortion but it is something that I had not noticed in your other recordings. Not sure what was causing the spikes.

The silent period at the end of the recording could use another second or so of length.

Curious as to what you were reading from because all of the things I could find on the archive site had lots of "f"s for "s"s and words mashed together which made it hard to read.

Lomond

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 10th, 2018, 12:36 am

lomond wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Curious as to what you were reading from because all of the things I could find on the archive site had lots of "f"s for "s"s and words mashed together which made it hard to read.
Thanks so much for catching the technical issues. I'll fix it as soon as I get a chance and try to figure out what I did wrong.

I found a non-public domain text which uses modern spelling... but I need to compare it to the PD text word-by-word and edit it to reflect the wording of the PD text, as the non-PD text does differ in a few places (the non-PD text deleted a total of three words from the preface).

If you'd like, I could post the manuscript I created with each link. I searched high and low for a PD text with modern spelling... but unfortunately, once someone goes through the effort to update it, they copyright it :(. I'm completely willing to release my manuscript into the public domain. I'm just not sure if uploading my manuscript would be 100% legit since I'm using a non-PD text as a base and editing it to reflect the wording of the PD text. Are there any copyright experts on this forum?

But as for reading from my manuscript, I'm sure what I'm doing is fine... as the listener can't tell the difference between "essential" and "effential."

lomond

Post by lomond » June 10th, 2018, 7:36 am

Caspian wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 12:36 am

I found a non-public domain text which uses modern spelling... but I need to compare it to the PD text word-by-word and edit it to reflect the wording of the PD text, as the non-PD text does differ in a few places (the non-PD text deleted a total of three words from the preface).

Greetings -

Problem solved. I found a copy of the book with modern spelling on Amazon for $0.99 for Kindle. I can use it on my PC and compare any differences I hear with the PD PDF version.

Lomond

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 11th, 2018, 4:57 am

I fixed file 0: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_00_edwards_128kb.mp3
I changed the status to "ready for spot PL." Are you supposed to listen again or trust that I fixed the issues? I think the clipping was caused because I amplified too much, as the original recording was rather soft. This tome, I amplified it as little as possible to barely satisfy the checker program...

And here's file 1 (I.I): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_01_edwards_128kb.mp3

Thanks so much!

P.S. When reading from the non-PD version, I found it important to splitscreen to follow along in the PD PDF (when you've advanced by one paragraph in one, know that you've advanced by one paragraph in the other) because trying to switch over to the PDF when you have no idea where in the PDF the current line is is really hard (it's not searchable... and it's next to impossible to speed-read through the archaic spelling to find the line you're looking for!)

lomond

Post by lomond » June 11th, 2018, 8:46 am

Caspian wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 4:57 am
I fixed file 0: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_00_edwards_128kb.mp3
I changed the status to "ready for spot PL." Are you supposed to listen again or trust that I fixed the issues?

P.S. When reading from the non-PD version, I found it important to splitscreen to follow along in the PD PDF (when you've advanced by one paragraph in one, know that you've advanced by one paragraph in the other) because trying to switch over to the PDF when you have no idea where in the PDF the current line is is really hard (it's not searchable... and it's next to impossible to speed-read through the archaic spelling to find the line you're looking for!)
Greetings -

I will spot check it (just so I can say I gave it due diligence :) ), but not listen to the entire section. Thanks for the tip about split screen. This is going to be an interesting read as I have not read anything by Jonathan Edwards before. Any thoughts of reading something by E. M. Bounds?

Lomond

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

And here's #2 (I.II): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/freedomofthewill_02_edwards_128kb.mp3
I had difficulty with noisecleaning because this was a long one and background noise was different at different parts in the recording due to the fact that I was recording for a long time. Let me know if the noise is distracting and I'll see what I can do.

I actually haven't read anything by E. M. Bounds, although after a quick Google search on him, I'm intrigued...

I didn't start reading old books until pretty recently. I believe it was C.S. Lewis who said that for every new book we read, we should read two old books... I've always been meaning to get around to reading old books and once I started, I really enjoyed it.

If you've never read anything by Edwards before, you should know that the first several chapters are usually pretty dry because he's so thorough in wanting to make sure that the reader understands all the particulars of the subject. He doesn't just dive into the "fun stuff" (application and such) until he has meticulously laid all the groundwork. I haven't read this book through myself, but based on what I've read from him in the past, I'm expecting this to become a real page-turner once we get to part 2 or 3 :).

Caspian

Post by Caspian » June 14th, 2018, 7:20 pm

I've given up trying to make my own transcript from a non-PD text because the further along I get in this book, the more differences I spot in the two texts and it just becomes far too much work.

But I finally found a transcript from the 1800s, which has much more modernized spelling: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=h54NAQAAMAAJ

It starts on page 56 (I hadn't found it before because it's buried in the middle of a collection of other writings)

Note that I recorded the preface and sections 1-3 using the archive.org version (section 3 is yet to be uploaded). While there are differences between the 1800s and 1700s manuscripts, the differences I've spotted this far and are quite subtle (plus, they're both PD... so, either one is really OK). If you use the newer manuscript for checking, it'll be a wee bit off, but nothing major.

For sections 4 and following, I'll be using the 1800s manuscript because it's easier to read.

P.S. if you've already bought the Kindle book but haven't read a ton, you can get a refund. Just say that there text differs too much from the original to be usable (which, sadly, is true.....)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 15th, 2018, 7:18 am

Great! I'll add this into the database entry as the main source and put the Archive one as a secondary source. That way both are available to anyone who wants the e-text.