"Yanny" or "Laurel"

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » May 17th, 2018, 8:20 am

I think this went viral on Twitter, but I don't use that, so I came upon it on some Youtube videos.

So what do you hear ??

I hear "Yanny". That would get a PL note because apparently the correct one is Laurel :lol: :lol:

And here's the video from The Ellen Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R9_xdhuNw which includes one more auditory illusion! (and some excellent dancing at the end of course!)

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

Even some 'net news portals posted articles about it... Surprising how much spare time people have, isn't it?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Foon

Post by Foon » May 17th, 2018, 9:25 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 8:20 am
I think this went viral on Twitter, but I don't use that, so I came upon it on some Youtube videos.

So what do you hear ??

I hear "Yanny". That would get a PL note because apparently the correct one is Laurel :lol: :lol:

And here's the video from The Ellen Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R9_xdhuNw which includes one more auditory illusion! (and some excellent dancing at the end of course!)
Ha, didn't know about this one yet!

I think they're actually both correct, might be two voices overlaid on top of each other in a slightly different pitch!
Edit: Scratch that, it does seem to be Laurel.

(I'm totally with you on Yanny, by the way!)

Edit: Funny thing, if you crank up or down the pitch, it can really alter it! In the low pitch, I definitely hear Yanny, but in the high pitch it's suddenly Laurel!
He who reads with his mouth has forgotten the face of his father.
I read with my heart.

___
My catalog page

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » May 18th, 2018, 6:08 am

Odd. I hear the original recording (and the high pitched one) as "laurel", but the low-pitched one as "yearly".

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl » May 20th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I've heard about this. Was wondering... what is the point of this experiment?

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » May 21st, 2018, 11:52 am

I came across this recently on you tube as well and the first time I heard it it sounded like yanny, the second time it sounded like laurel and now laurel is all I can hear.
~Tiffany
—————
"The world is full of evil, and lies, and pain, and death, you can’t hide from it; you can only face it.
The question is, when you do, how do you respond? Who do you become?"
——————————
God Delights in me A friends blog