Old Fashioned Fairy Tales, Juliana Horatia Ewing

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
josephjones

Post by josephjones » May 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm

This is a collection of eighteen (18) fairy tales by Juliana Horatia Ewing. My copy is a print on demand from Amazon. It is in the public domain and you can find it online at Gutenberg.

I am doing an Eagle Scout project focused on introducing people to Librivox and inviting them to participate in reading this book. I chose this book so that a different person could read each fairy tale. I intend to invite friends and family to participate, but, the Librivox community is welcome to help. Just let me know how much time you spend working on it so I can record it toward service on my Eagle Scout project.

Thanks, Joseph.
Last edited by josephjones on May 12th, 2018, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic » May 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Hi, Joseph!

Please see this post (from the Launch Pad forum) about how to start a new project. There are specific steps to follow and a template to fill out so we can enter the book in the database and get the recordings into the Librivox catalog. It's actually pretty hard to coordinate a group project at LV if you haven't participated in any other LV projects. The process makes a lot more sense after you've gotten firsthand experience of the LV workflow. We generally request that people either record a few things for us themselves or prooflisten a project or two before they coordinate a group reading. This is partly so they'll have an easier time coordinating (they'll be managing entries in the Magic Window, our file management system) and partly so they can better help readers who are having problems with their recordings.

Assuming you are not in a screaming hurry to get this finished (group recordings can take several months), it would be best if you'd get some LV experience before starting a group project. If all of your readers will be local friends/family and not the general LV community, that's a little different, but in that case you'll be more dependent on Librivox volunteers to take care of the back-end stuff. For example, unless you can prooflisten and check all the files' technical specifications yourself, you'll need an experienced LV prooflistener to do that for you.

Please be aware that we can't provide official documentation of time spent working on a service project. The catalog page of the finished project will list the recording length, but that's only a fraction of the time it takes to produce an audiobook.

Finally, we'll need proof that your book is in the public domain in the US, meaning published before 1923. We prefer books that are available online (I suggest checking at gutenberg.org; there may also be a scan at archive.org). If you can't find it online, we'll need a scan or copy of the title page showing the publication date.

I hope I haven't discouraged you too much! We want you to succeed and have fun here (and for your readers to have fun too). Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Laurie Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Just let me know how much time you spend working on it so I can record it toward service on my Eagle Scout project.
The time spent by someone else recording a story is counted towards your service time??
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule