[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1845-1848 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Just wait until we get to Carter's 1981 speech which was written. It's 33,667 words. It's the longest address ever.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hmmm I wonder if that was the one I had to watch and take notes on! I DID feel like it would never end!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
linny

Post by linny »

No it was written. It was his last address when he was leaving office. I'm sure in 7th grade even the shortest would have seemed long. :wink:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

linny

Post by linny »

Colleen, well done. Section 11 is PL OK.

So many things to comment on here but I'll behave myself; slaves, aboriginals, public debt. The conversation could go on for ages. :roll:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I know! Even knowing my history, reading the words of the President being so casual about both slavery and "Indians" being displaced in Oregon still feels a little shocking.
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

Sorry for the delay in getting section 9 done, some personal things came up (ugh!), but they have been resolved (hurrah!).

I know we should normally get the sections read in 1-2 months, could I get an extension? I should have it done
by the end of this month (July).

Thanks!
*** Doug
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
linny

Post by linny »

Colleen,
Thank you! You're on the list...again. :oops:

Doug,
Extension granted. Thank you for letting me know. Glad to hear life is calming down again.
linny

Post by linny »

Colleen,
I downloaded section 13 and rand it through the checker. It failed due to background noise. It looks clean enough but I noticed that the ending silence is a little short of 5 seconds. I added a bit of silence to the end and reran it and it passed. If no other changes are needed there is no reason to extend the ending silence. I wanted to let you know and figured I might forget by then. :roll:

Thank you for your patience.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Linny,

I don't understand the part about failing due to background noise? I had run it through the checker (if we are talking about the same computer program with the green check icon) and it passed for me. Or do you have a different checker program as a coordinator?

I am happy to make any necessary fix and resubmit.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

linny

Post by linny »

No need to fix for this. The background noise is not noticable and only pops up on the checker. It’s the same program. I have my settings on strict so that’s probably the only difference. Please don’t worry about it. I wanted to let you know about it in case another PLer ever mentioned it. The background noise flag can be impacted by the amount of the ending silence so if you do get flagged it’s always best to check if it’s a little short of the 5 seconds.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Just jumping in here: there is no hard and fast rule on noise. I personally like to look at the numbers, but it's not necessary if it sounds OK. Less than 5 seconds at the end will mess up the test, though... it is looking for the quiet 5 seconds at the end, and if you're talking, it's not quiet 8-)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Okay great! I had no idea about the noise thing or the 5-second flag. Learning something new every day here!
Colleen McMahon