Complete- Captain Salt in Oz-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Singingreek

Post by Singingreek »

Hi I'm Mike Janetakes - new to LibriVox and would like to take a crack at Captain Salt in Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson
CHAPTER 4 Samuel's First Specimen. I see that it is the next chapter in the series. I have read all of the directions and see no problem in recording this fun piece
Many thanks
Mike
creativevservices@gmail.com
I will probably go by siningreek
cheers
Mike Janetakes
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 0A8
mike.janetakes@gmail.com
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Mike!

Two comments: before recording anything "for real" please do a 1 min test to make sure your technical settings are correct and compatible with our systems. Once that is "OK" then please come back and record this section. I'll hold it for you until then.

Also: I suggest taking your email address out of your posts/signature to prevent it being harvested by bots. There are a lot of them on this forum (and everywhere else, I suppose...)
Singingreek

Post by Singingreek »

Finally figured how to send a file.
Here a link to my test piece.
Hope you can critique it.
many thanks
mike

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_singingreek.mp3
Mike Janetakes
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 0A8
mike.janetakes@gmail.com
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Mike, it looks like it uploaded correctly, but the link needs to be posted to the Listener's and Editors forum - that's where the tech people hang out! I mainly check text, not technology!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Singingreek wrote: March 29th, 2018, 5:50 am Finally figured how to send a file.
many thanks
mike

Hi Mike, I've reposted your test to the Listener's forum and put a link back here, so hopefully you will get some other feedback soon.

The technical settings all look OK, except that the recording is quite soft. You can either increase your microphone recording volume or record "as is" and then amplify by about 7-8dB. After that you may need to noise clean the file. (Instructions for this are in the Wiki linked in the introduction forum.)

So I suggest you have another crack at the 1 minute test with those changes made, then post it to the thread I've started for you in the Listener's forum - hopefully by then it will be OK and you will be ready to record! :thumbs:
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Elizabby wrote: March 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Singingreek wrote: March 29th, 2018, 5:50 am Finally figured how to send a file.
many thanks
mike

Hi Mike, I've reposted your test to the Listener's forum and put a link back here, so hopefully you will get some other feedback soon.

The technical settings all look OK, except that the recording is quite soft. You can either increase your microphone recording volume or record "as is" and then amplify by about 7-8dB. After that you may need to noise clean the file. (Instructions for this are in the Wiki linked in the introduction forum.)

So I suggest you have another crack at the 1 minute test with those changes made, then post it to the thread I've started for you in the Listener's forum - hopefully by then it will be OK and you will be ready to record! :thumbs:
Here is what I said in the Listener's thread Elizabby -

Hi Elizabby/Singingreek -

This recording sounds great - the only thing in Checker is that it is low in volume.

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). The volume of the reading is showing as 84.4 dB

So using Audacity, one needs to go to Effect|Amplify and increase the recording by about 3-4 decibels and re-save and submit it again please.

The only other comment is the recording is a bit fast - normally the 1 minute recordings take about 30 seconds and this one is in at the 20 second range.

Lynda
Singingreek

Post by Singingreek »

Many thanks for the feedback.
I have uploaded a revised recording - little longer and louder.
Let me know how it sounds on your end
mike janetakes
:)
Mike Janetakes
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 0A8
mike.janetakes@gmail.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Singingreek wrote: March 30th, 2018, 6:09 pm Many thanks for the feedback.
I have uploaded a revised recording - little longer and louder.
Let me know how it sounds on your end
mike janetakes
:)
MIke - where did you post your new recording?

I am not able to find it. It is not attached to the comments I made on the Listeners forum and not in this forum either...

I am a little confused...
Singingreek

Post by Singingreek »

Strange - here is the link to the test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_singingreek.mp3
Re sent it this morning for you to check.
Let me know
thanks
mike
Mike Janetakes
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 0A8
mike.janetakes@gmail.com
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Mike -

That sounds just great now and meets all technical specifications!

Nice to welcome another Canuck to Librivox!

Just so you know, there is an additional restriction for Canadians which less than for Australians and Europeans and that the author of a book has to be dead for 50 years in additional to the public domain year. You generally will see a warning posted at the top of the book indicating if the author is recently deceased. Most of the time the post is for people recording from AU and EU (that it is 70 years), however for us it is only 50 years.

Have fun reading!

Lynda
Singingreek

Post by Singingreek »

Great Lynda,
It's a nice story - looking forward to doing more.
Thanks for all of your help in getting started.
Hope to talk soon.
cheers
mike
Mike Janetakes
Toronto, Ontario M8Z 0A8
mike.janetakes@gmail.com
apanis18

Post by apanis18 »

Hi,

Could I claim chapter 5 as my first LibriVox recording?

Thx
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I can hold chapter 5 for you for a week or two, but before starting recording for it you need to do your 1 minute test to make sure the recording is technically compatible with our systems. The full instructions are in your welcome email or in the introduction forum.

Please wait until your 1 min test is given the OK before recording anything else - as practically everybody has to make changes and it would be a shame to have to redo a long recording.
apanis18

Post by apanis18 »

Hi,

I uploaded my test here https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/test_apanis18.mp3

Should I post it to listeners wanted forum too?

Thanks,

apanis18
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, please do. This thread is for project files, not tests.