[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
andreearux

Post by andreearux »

Hello Sonia,

I would like to sign up for "30 - The Chinese theater, by Archibald Little" if that's ok :wink:

Thank you,
andreearux
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

andreearux wrote:Hello Sonia,
I would like to sign up for "30 - The Chinese theater, by Archibald Little" if that's ok :wink:
Thank you,
andreearux
oh hi Andreea :) I remember your one-minute test ! Thanks for choosing this as your first project. :9: Loads of small sections, so this is a perfect start to practice.

I can sign you up for this section, but in order to open your personal reader page, you need to tell me what name you want to be credited by. Same as forum name, or real name, or whatever you wish. Also, if you want to include a website, I can do that as well. Let me know.

As this is your first recording, please pay special attention to the notes in the very first post, underneath the Magic Window. Under Point 7 you see how to read the Intro disclaimer (for your part, you need to read the full disclaimer), and how to name your finished file.

Thank you, and looking forward to your first recording :) Good luck and have fun.

Sonia
andreearux

Post by andreearux »

Hello Sonia,

About the name: the same as forum name (andreearux) is fine :)

Thank you for the info :) I will pay attention to the notes in the first post.

I'm looking forward to reading as well :) and would appreciate your suggestions and feedback afterwards if available

andreearux :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

andreearux wrote:About the name: the same as forum name (andreearux) is fine :)
thanks, I will sign you up as soon as this works...there seems to be a temporary glitch in the system to register new reader pages. Will keep trying. The section is yours in any case.
I'm looking forward to reading as well :) and would appreciate your suggestions and feedback afterwards if available
I am the DPL (prooflistener) for this project, so yes, you'll get feedback from me :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, Andreea, here is already your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12099

there you can see all the projects you are signed up for and what sections you still have outstanding. As soon as the glitch is solved, you will have section 30 from this project showing there. But for the moment I still can't register you. :hmm:

But you can start recording if you wish, the section is definitely reserved for you. :)

have a nice weekend

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Kitty wrote:
Oh I forgot to mention something for the drama plays. Could you guys please say your voice credits the following way (only your coloured bit), so I can paste them into my intro which would look like this:

[Intro disclaimer], read for Librivox.org by Sonia as the Narrator, Nemo as the Emperor, [xxx] as the Attendant, Eva Davis as the Lady, Princess, [xxx] as the Envoy and Tomas Peter as the President of the Council.

and

[Intro disclaimer], read for Librivox.org by Sonia as the Narrator, Nemo as the Rector, Eva Davis as the Curate, Tomas Peter as the First Parishioner, [xxx] as the Second Parishioner and [xxx] as the Third Parishioner.

So it would be cool if you could intonate your bit in the way you would have said it if you had read the entire sentence. There's a different cadence in the middle roles than in the end line, you know, that sort of thing. It sounds better when I paste it together later on.

And with that I think it is time to move over to Readers Wanted. I'll put this one in Short Works, because the sections are often quite short and will probably fit better in there.

Sonia
Thanks Sonia! ... great direction on reading the roles!

I may have missed it in the instruction, but should the file names for the drama pieces be different? .... as it is now, we would just over-ride each others uploads? Should we name them as role name and section number instead?

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote:I may have missed it in the instruction, but should the file names for the drama pieces be different? .... as it is now, we would just over-ride each others uploads? Should we name them as role name and section number instead?
ah thanks for asking. yes name it with your role name, or your initials, whatever to differentiate them from the final name. I usually just put _sonia_ in the file name behind the number and that's it. In the end I will delete those files anyway, once I assembled the play

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote:Section 90 for PL - length is 4:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_090_tappan.mp3
Nemo
wow, thank you Nemo, this is another very strong piece, beautifully narrated. :9: So this is the Japanese version of Rip van Winkle 8-) The editor's note was really creeping me out, especially the tone of voice you had when you mentioned how many centuries the boy was absent. :help:

I am really happy I found this project. The two first stories were wholly unknown to me but I'm glad I get to know these tales now. I see there is a serious gap in my cultural knowledge of other countries and I will remedy this now, thanks to you all.

PL ok

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Eva, very nicely acted. You play her very serene, which is probably how it should be. I read up on the entire play, she was quite a tragic heroine.

But I have to ask: how do you know the pronunciation of these names :shock: they sound good, though I haven't the first notion how to pronounce Chinese. I just noticed you sometimes pronounced letters that were not even present in the word, or left some out that were there. Which I don't dispute, seeing how English is spelled/pronounced LOL. But I was curious whether you know Chinese or just took a wild guess to make it sound great.

PL ok, in any case.

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote: thank you Eva, very nicely acted. You play her very serene, which is probably how it should be. I read up on the entire play, she was quite a tragic heroine.
Thanks, Sonia!
Kitty wrote:But I have to ask: how do you know the pronunciation of these names :shock:
Although I won't say I did them justice, I relied heavily on Google Translate Chinese. :D
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote:Although I won't say I did them justice, I relied heavily on Google Translate Chinese. :D
aaahh that's the secret :lol: I was thinking about a Chinese-speaking neighbour :mrgreen:

Hmmm, I am a google-translate sceptic, so I will not rely on that tool. But as I said, unless a native speaker complains, to my ears, it sounds good. :thumbs:

Sonia
AbirBouharir

Post by AbirBouharir »

I would like to sign up for 28 The coming of the Tartars: historical note.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AbirBouharir wrote:I would like to sign up for 28 The coming of the Tartars: historical note.
Hello and welcome to the forum Abir :) thank you for your interest, and I can reserve that section for you for the time being.

However, it would be highly recommendable to do a one-minute test first, to check whether all your technical settings are ok. You can post your test in this sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and will get feedback there shortly.

Once your test is ok, please let me know what reader name you want to be credited with, this can be your real name, or forum name or something else.

Have fun on the forum.

Sonia