LV Forum Recording-'What made you choose your nickname'

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Updated: 6:53 PST 3/18/07

Wanted

Audio Stories: Readings of the "Off Topic" -> "What Made You Choose Your Nickname?" Thread. Preferably read by the writers, if the writer is unwilling/unable to read it but is fine someone else may volunteer to read it. This would be formatted like a play; parts spliced together.

Current 'A' List (because they've posted) in order of appearance:

Starlite
Gesine
Opheliad
Gypsygirl (agreed to record post[s])
MermaidMaddie
Shortcircuit
Breefolk
Raezel (unable to record own, wants someone else too, any one willing.)
Caeristhiona
Anna
KATWAL
Ceastman (agreed to record post[s])
Jimmowatt
ExEmGe
Stella
Kayray
Fae
Kri (agreed to record post[s])
Pberinstein
Stephan
Ezwa
Laura
Earthcalling
sbb4677forever
Ductapeguy (agreed to record post[s]; is understandable, not releasing song into PD)
Zom
Clorinde
Mask o' Glass
Moox_deadeye
Luciburg
Jazbees (agreed to record post[s])
Brianlojeck
Rootpi (agreed to record post[s])
Janie No. 5
Pensk
Muddy Waterz
Ontheroad
Kaffen
Le Marteau
katyleah
Pam
Ponyfeathers
Anchorbend
Chrisczech (unable to record own, wants someone else too, any one willing.)
Frenchaudrey
Darthdemona
Sjmarky
WauloK
MaGu
Panaka
AmethystA
Lady Maria
Ancilla (agreed to record post[s])
Rachelellen
Shurtagal (agreed to record post[s])
Claire
EnglishNomad (agreed to record post[s])
DrWombat
Usaeagle
Meham (agreed to record post[s])
Old Guy
Loof
Joyfuljenilee
Planish (agreed to record post[s])
ChristianPecaut
TickTockMan
PepsiBoo
FriscoSquid
LeonMire
And Growing .....

"What Made You Choose Your Nickname?" Thread, by LV Volunteers.
  • If your name appears above and you would like to record it yourself then say so below and I'll hold it for you. If your name appears above and you don't want to record it yourself but are willing to have it recorded then post below and someone else can record it. If your name doesn't appear above but you have posted in the "What Made You Choose Your Nickname?" Thread post below and I'll remedy that. If you have posted in the "What Made You Choose Your Nickname?" Thread but don't want your words to be recorded the post below and your name will be stricken from the list, I will assume this is the case if I don't hear from you at all.
  • New to recording?This is a great place to be because the recording is short, easy, of your own invention, and tells us something about yourself.
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  • Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: June 17th and ongoing as more people post – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and we'll work something else out. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  • Where do I find the text?
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2994
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: as many as are created.
    • Do you have server space? Yes
    • This is a first try at recording our forums. It is a great way to hear many many voices close together.
  • BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start each post by saying:
    • "[Authors name]'s response. Posted on [date of post]"
    • Except on the first post. Whoever reads that (hint: Starlite) should say "Begining of LV Forum Recording - "Where did you get your nickname?" Thread [Authors name]'s post. Posted on [date of post]And on the first post for each author say:
      "[Authors names] posts read by [your name]"
    • I will add a bit of speech at the begining and end of the entire recording.
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    nickname_[postID]_[author].mp3
    Click on the page icon next to the word "posted:", and the post ID will show up in your URL bar. Also prefix Post IDs less than six digits long with a zero.
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: [post ID] - Where did you get your nickname?
    Artist: [Author name]
    Album: Where did you get your nickname?
    Comments: Whatever you want

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  • I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear here, and your website URL if you like.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)

Thanks, hope this works out,

-Zach

If you can, it would make a better recording if I got these in .aup format but not necessary, .wav, .mp3, and .ogg are also fine.
Last edited by Shurtagal on April 28th, 2007, 7:43 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I have a question - do we have to stick to the post or can we embelish it a bit?
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

I'd say you could embellish it a bit but not too much. Please, no dragons.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

What if there are legitimately dragons in the story?

I'll record if you want it, tho it's barely an interesting tale. Hehe, it might be worth it just so everyone knows how to effing pronounce it. :P
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

It'll be really fun if we can get the banter as well - you know, the reactions of people to each other. The whole thread, not just the explanations.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Shurtagal wrote:Planing to use Archive.org to host files. Any hints, Ideas, tips, &c on that?
I suggest the archived version should be one file, flowing like a conversation.

What we could do as we're building it, would be to add into each post in the original thread, a link to the audio version of that post. That would be a good way to keep track of what's been done, and a chance for people to listen to particular posts/people they're interested in. But to do that, we'd need to put each file on a proper server (not yousendit etc.) so you can listen directly without downloading the file. We'd also need a naming convention that took account of there being multiple posts by the same reader, and kept the posts in the right sequence. The obvious way would be to use the post ID number in the filename, as those are given in sequence by the system with each new post. Another thing, we'd need an Admin person to edit in the 'listen' link to each post, as only Admins can edit other people's posts.

David
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

In my original post on the nickname thread, I make reference to my duct tape song. http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49539#49539

I will record my post for this project, but I will not be submitting my duct tape song for inclusion in the collection. It is my most successful? song, covered by other artists and known as my signature song. I will not be releasing it or any recordings of it into the public domain. I release my music on the net under a very reasonable, creative commons-- Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 2.5 License. Which means you are free to download, listen to my music on any device, share it around freely. Just keep it intact, give me credit and if you do use it for a commercial project, I would like my fair share.

In the recording, I will make reference to my website where you can find my duct tape song.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Just a small note on standardization...

Please consider asking each reader to include the date of their posting in their introduction (it's a posterity thing =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

heh... I just realized that I haven't yet posted my "story" to that thread... perhaps I'll do that someday =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

thistlechick wrote:heh... I just realized that I haven't yet posted my "story" to that thread... perhaps I'll do that someday =)
Nno time like the present :) .
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

earthcalling wrote:It'll be really fun if we can get the banter as well - you know, the reactions of people to each other. The whole thread, not just the explanations.
Yeah thats just what I was thinking, all the wit, especially between Anita, MaGu, and Anita's son whose name I just frogot.
earthcalling wrote:We'd also need a naming convention that took account of there being multiple posts by the same reader, and kept the posts in the right sequence. The obvious way would be to use the post ID number in the filename, as those are given in sequence by the system with each new post. Another thing, we'd need an Admin person to edit in the 'listen' link to each post, as only Admins can edit other people's posts.
Thats true. I'm not sure where to find the post ID, but if any body can find it then it would work great. Possible new file name Wheredidyougetyournickname_[author]_[postID].mp3
Thistlechick wrote:consider asking each reader to include the date of their posting in their introduction
Will do. and your story is definetely WANTED, probably quite interesting.

-Zach
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Shurtagal wrote:I'm not sure where to find the post ID, but if any body can find it then it would work great.
If you click on the little page icon at the top of a post, next to the word 'Posted', the post ID appears in the URL bar. The ID for your post is 104779.
Shurtagal wrote:Possible new file name Wheredidyougetyournickname_[author]_[postID].mp3
To get the posts in the right order, you need the post ID number before the reader name. And older posts, before we passed the 100,000 mark, will need a leading zero. And I'd suggest you shorten it to 'nickname'; you'd run out of characters when writing the filename in Audacity before getting to the unique bit.
kri

Post by kri »

I'll record mine.
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Cool Kri!

Thanks for all the advice David.!!! :D
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll do mine as well.
Karen S.