COMPLETE The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke by Leonard Cox ( - 0).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-arte-or-crafte-of-rhethoryke-by-leonard-cox/

This text is a 19th-century reprint of the very first known English-language book on rhetoric, including an introduction and notes from Frederic Ives Carpenter of the University of Chicago. The original brief treatise by Leonard Cox covers various themes and topics related to oratory and argument. Carpenter's introductory material adds helpful context and analysis.
( Amelia Chesley)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924027163835
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox. [Section title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke by Leonard Cox. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename rhethoryke_##_cox_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegek
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by plaidsicle on August 31st, 2017, 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

it was difficult to decide whether to use this Internet Archive text or the PG text (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25612/25612-h/25612-h.htm) but the later edition looked easier to read, and the introduction will probably be really interesting too.

I don't think I'll read the list of other works, the Appendix of Latin stuff, or the glossary sections.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The text source link doesn't work ?

Anne
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

it seems to for me-- it goes to the pdf file directly. this is the full archive.org page, if needed: https://archive.org/details/cu31924027163835
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Happy to MC this for you Plaidsicle.
And the MW is ready. :)

MaryAnn
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

hurrah! thank you so much MaryAnn. I will get my section breaks in order soon and start recording for this in the next few weeks, if all goes well...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Man, you'd have to be mad to DPL this, what with all the Latin and Middle/Early Modern English.

So, can I volunteer? I'm always up for a challenge!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

you certainly may!

I'm still not sure how exactly I'm going to get my head around all that old spelling and whatnot. we'll see how it goes...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

I've just had a go at reading some of this aloud. I hope you know what you've let yourself in for...

It took me a good amount of time to work out what ſeruyce was.

EDIT: Another difficult one: Inuencyon. And I had to check the OED to be sure that 'perfyght' was actually an old spelling of 'perfect'.

EDIT 2: Assuming you don't have access to the OED or similar (but then again, you might), please let me know if you'd like me to look up obscure words for you. For example, on page 45 is this sentence:
For it is made of .ii. thynges knyte or vnied togither
I'm sure you can work out easily most of the words, but you might get stuck on 'vnied'. Even if you correctly assume it's actually 'unied', and even if you correctly backform it to the root verb, 'uny', you're not going to find any confirmation it's correct in most online dictionaries.

However, OED has the word, showing it's basically an obsolete form of 'unite' that hasn't been in use since the 16th Century. (though as a side-effect of that, it gives no guide about how to pronounce it...)
Jordan

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

A quick update from me: I'm going to be on holiday from tomorrow to the 26th, and as such, will not be able to do any PLing for that time period.
Last edited by JorWat on August 14th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thanks for letting me know.
my fall semester is starting next week, so I'm not sure how soon I'll get any recording done anyway. but it'll wait for you most patiently, if it does get done. happy vacationing!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

our short and sweet first section is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_01_cox_128kb.mp3
3:17

I read most of the title page as a sort of "long intro" on this first file. the others will just have the usual title/disclaimer/read by___/title/author/section intro bits. hopefully that makes sense.

there are thankfully still a few sections of regular 19th-century prose before I wade into the old old 16th-century stuff.....
all feedback is welcome. this is a newer mic for me and I'm still getting the hang of making things sound good with it.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote:our short and sweet first section is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_01_cox_128kb.mp3
3:17

I read most of the title page as a sort of "long intro" on this first file. the others will just have the usual title/disclaimer/read by___/title/author/section intro bits. hopefully that makes sense.

there are thankfully still a few sections of regular 19th-century prose before I wade into the old old 16th-century stuff.....
all feedback is welcome. this is a newer mic for me and I'm still getting the hang of making things sound good with it.
And we're off!

Nothing wrong with the text, but it is too quiet at the moment. You're at 85.1 dB, and you should be aiming for 89 dB. However, due to a couple of loud sections, this can't be amplified without clipping. I'd recommend using the Leveler tool.

Also, you're missing 'End of Section 1' at the end of the recording.

And if you're really after all feedback, there's a bit too much mouth-noise at times (e.g. lip smacks, tongue clicks), but I don't know what the solution is... Maybe keep back a bit from the mike? This page might have some useful information.
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

checking in--

I'm still alive and still planning to work on this. just having a very crowded semester.

thanks for your notes, JorWat. I'm debating whether or not to try re-recording to address all my mouth-clickings. for the record, I use GarageBand to record, so I'm so far unable to use most of the very nicely documented tips and tricks for Audacity.

I'll eventually decide what to do and re-upload things.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Thanks for checking in, I was starting to get a little worried.

If you want to re-record that, then you can, but I don't think you need to. As I said, I only pointed it out because you asked for all feedback.

Oh, and take your time. I'm currently doing a recoding of my own, and am uploading at a rate of about one section a month, so I'm aware of how long it can take to find time to record.
Jordan